Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals, i wanted to post a couple pictures i thought you all might enjoy, but i dont know how to make it small enough to fit within this site's maximum byte thingy. thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
108 Posts
biopsea said:
hey guys and gals, i wanted to post a couple pictures i thought you all might enjoy, but i dont know how to make it small enough to fit within this site's maximum byte thingy. thanks in advance for any advice
Go to www.fookes.com & download Easy thumbnails, it's freeware & it works great for sizing any files & making thumbnails, easy to use & NO Spyware!! :wave:

·
Registered
212 Posts
biopsea said:

Try www.tinypic.com. Its easy and fast.

Herminio

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Make sure you are not using the .bmp file format. Save it in another format, such as .jpeg. To make the picture smaller, MicroSoft Paint can do the job.
Open the picture with Paint > click on Image > Stretch/Skew and lower the Horizontal and Vertical percentages by the same amount. Save the file until it meets the size requirement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
easier than expected

cruznit,
thx - used fookes.com and it was a piece of cake. nice utility. as soon as i get some good pics, i'll be sure to post them.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Easy Pic Re-sizing & Posting

EASY PIC POSTING INFO:
A very simple method is to use a hosting site such as www.tinypic.com for single pics, or www.photobucket.com for multiple pics.
Both are free, but PhotoBucket does require registration.

How-To:
1) know in advance where the photo files that you wish to post are located. (to make it easier, you may wish to copy the files to your desktop)
2) Go to one of the above hosting websites and use the 'browse' button to locate and select the files on your computer
2-A) For multiple pics,use Photobucket - click the 'Submit Multiple Pictures' dropdown menu and click the # of pics you need to upload before using the 'browse' feature to select the pics
3) Click the 'host it' or 'submit' button to upload the pic(s)
4) These websites generate 4 different file types - Be sure to choose the .IMG file and copy/paste that entire IMG link into your post.
5) After pasting the IMG file, you will NOT see the actual pic UNTIL you click "Preview Post".
6) After you preview and verify your pics are inserted successfully, click "submit" and your post is complete!

**Note:
After you have done this the first time, it is really very simple!
This method has been confirmed to work well for both PC's and Mac's

Alternative:
You can also post pics using the site feature for uploading and attaching files, which is found just below the reply window:
Click reply - scroll down to "Additional Options" - In the "Attach Files" field, click "Manage Attachments" - a pop-up window for uploading will appear.
You can only upload 1 pic at a time and the size limit is 195.3 KB per photo, which may require you to re-size your pics before upload... info for re-sizing can be found below.

FOR 'PREMIUM MEMBERS':
it's even simpler...
1) UPLOAD the pic to "my gallery" (very easy and user-friendly)
2) right-click the pic and select "copy"
3) then right-click in your post window and select "paste"
Premium Membership is a paid yearly membership with extra benefits; more info can be found here

PIC RESIZING INFO:
If you are using the site feature for adding attachments to your posts you may need to re-size pics to fit the max allowed of 195.3KB. You can use your photo software to do this or you can download PIXresizer, a freeware program recommended by PC mag, here ...if you do not arrive at the program page directly, type PIXresizer in their search engine.

And, if you are using Windows XP, it's even simpler.
If you haven't already done so, download Windows Powertoys here, which includes a right-click pic re-sizer, then:

1) right-click the pic
2) select 'resize'
3-A) for normal posting: click 'small' or 'medium' and skip to step 5
3-B) for an avatar: click 'advanced' at the bottom of the window and proceed to step 4 and 5
4) select 'custom' and enter the desired dimensions, the avatar size limits allowed on the forum differ for Premium members (100x100 or 80kb) and non-Premium members (80x80 or 40kb)
5) click 'ok' then link to the re-sized photo from the upload screen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
help hemmee

for some reason, when i right click on a pic, resize isnt one of the options? i too am running XP

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
biopsea said:
for some reason, when i right click on a pic, resize isnt one of the options? i too am running XP
I sent you a PM... It was in my right-click menu from day 1 but can be added to yours if not already there... I'll elaborate at another time, sorry but I have to scoot right now! :slomo:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Best software i've ever used

try Pixresizer.com...

this is the best out there i've found..

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
flexion said:
the "resize" function in the fileexplorer context menu is part of the xp powertoys collection

download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Image Resizer: This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.
Thanks Flexion... I looked and Powertoys is on my 'puter, so that's where that handy little feature came from!
:) I've copied the link into my instrux post, thanks again!

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
foodybat said:
try Pixresizer.com...
this is the best out there i've found..
Thanks foody, this looks to be a great option for non-XP users...
the url gave me a lot of junk so I found it recommended by PC mag, go here to avoid the junk. Type PIXresizer in the search engine if you do not arrive at the program page directly.

Here's the program description:
PC Mag said:
PIXresizer is a photo resizing program to easily create web and email friendly versions of your images with reduced file sizes. The reduced files are saved in a different folder, so your original images are not altered at all. PIXresizer offers several different resizing methods to choose from and can automatically recognize image sizes to calculate the best fit. In addition, it can convert between image formats (JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG and TIFF), rotate images, convert to grayscale and resize multiple images in batch mode. A great companion for webmasters and digital photographers.

Options/Features:

- simple four-step workflow
- easy 'Apply recommended' option to make it even more user friendly
- works with single files as well as with multiple files all at once
- option to convert between graphics formats (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, and .tif)
- can be used to create thumbnails (takes one move on a slider)
- smart ratio calculation (image proportions can be overruled by the user)
- error logging (checks for corrupted images

·
Registered
214 Posts
How do you get the pictures inside of the post rather than as a thumbnail (attachment)? Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
djjasond said:
How do you get the pictures inside of the post rather than as a thumbnail (attachment)? Thanks!
The easiest method is to use a hosting site. I use www.tinypic.com (for one photo) or www.photobucket.com (for multiple photos) - free, simple, fast, and they automatically re-size your pic. Just follow these simple steps...

1- know in advance where the file that you wish to post is located. (to make it easier, copy the file to your desktop)

2- go to the hosting website you chose and use the 'browse' button to locate the file on your computer

3- click the 'host it' or 'submit' button

4- Several different formats will be generated in the lower window; choose the IMG format and copy that entire link into your post. (NOTE: You will only see the link until you click 'preview post'...then you'll see the pic.)

5- Click submit and your post is complete

·
Registered
138 Posts
how bout for mac?

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
srtdan said:
how bout for mac?
Hi Dan, I have no Mac experience, but if no one chimes in here soon, PM me and I'll put you in touch with a member who does! :wink1:

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Well Dan, that just might be me! Although I'm on vacation using my laptop w/Windows, at home I use my Apple PowerMac G4.

Anyway, the instructions for posting are exactly the same with whatever OS you are using. It actually comes down to following Linda's instructions based on the hosting site you use. I have my photos hosted with photobucket.

Let me know where you are with your photo hosting and generated HTML's and I can probably assist you. Feel free to p.m. if you like.

bruno

I take it that this is what you are trying to achieve:

·
Registered
122 Posts
srtdan said:
how bout for mac?
Hey guys and gals, been a while.

Well, I got a PM from HEMEE saying someone needed Mac help. After reading the thread, here's my 2¢ concerning posting up images to the forum via a Mac. Everything here applies to PC's too, except the part about iPhoto. And I highly recommend using iPhoto for this.

1) Sign up for Flickr at Flickr.com - This is a free photo sharing site that has some very cool tools available, I encourage everyone to check it out.

2) Download one of their uploading tools - Flickr provides links to a number of third party software developers who've created programs that allow you to upload images without going through the web browser; this is nice if you have a lot of images you want to upload at once. For those on Macs, and who use iPhoto, there is a very nice plug-in here: http://connectedflow.com/flickrexport/, for those who don't use iPhoto, I suggest this: Flickr Uploadr. I highly suggest using the iPhoto because you can resize your images as you export them to Flickr and keep your original images intact. This is also true with Flickr Uploadr, though I don't think is true with the web page upload method. This is nice because files will upload faster when their smaller but you'll still be able to print the originals at a good resolution.

3) Use one of the uploading tools, or Flickr's own uploading page, whatever you'd like, to get your photos online.

4) Under "Your Photos" section, find the photo you'd like to publish and click on it. This should bring up a large version of the image with options like "Add Note", "Send to Group", and others just above the image.

5) Find the one that says "All Sizes" and click on it. You'll now be at a page that shows all the available sizes for that image "Small", "Medium", etc.. with dimensions like 640 x 480, etc. Click on the size you'd like to post (I'd suggest nothing larger than 600 as either dimension).

6) Now, below the image you'll see two text boxes. The first will say "Grab this photo's URL:" above it and say something like http://static.flickr.com... Copy that URL and use that as the "Text to format" when you insert an image to this forum by pressing this button:
above the post editing window . This is a size-specific URL, so each size image will have a different URL.

So, hopefully that wasn't too convoluted, and helped out Mac and PC users alike.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Thank you bruno and 300TNP...
bruno, I thought it might be the same, but I wasn't certain, thanks for the confirmation!!
And Aaron, thanks for yet another few alternative sites, I'll be checking out those links when I get a few minutes to do my Christmas pics... hopefully before next Christmas :silly:

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Thank you bruno and 300TNP...
bruno, I thought it might be the same, but I wasn't certain, thanks for the confirmation!!
And Aaron, thanks for yet another few alternative sites, I'll be checking out those links when I get a few minutes to do my Christmas pics... hopefully before next Christmas :silly:
Hemeee,
You're welcome. I find it incredibly easy to copy the HTML codes from Photobucket and past them right into this text box whether it's for an inserted image or linked thumbnails. After I return home to Clovis from Temecula, I'll experiment with Aaron's method on my PowerMac. Too bad the San Diego Meet & Greet isn't happening right now when I'm only 45 minutes away....:sadwavey:

srtdan,
Let us know if you need further assistance. We would like to enjoy your photos, too!

bruno

1 - 20 of 44 Posts