Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad: Going nuts with my mechanic that I know over 10yrs now.My other car,which is a Mitisubitshi Diamante 2002 timing belt was changed about three weeks ago and about 2 wks ago i started to hear a whining noise and called my mechanic and told him. He told me that he would take a look at it but everytime i called he said he was busy.But the noise got louder and i called again and told him that the belt was rubbing against the plastic which covers the belt, and told him that i was worried that the belt would snap when my wife is driving the car,again he told me he was going to look at it but told me that he was at party and it was going to be later on in the day,well he never showed up and the timing belt came off and now he is telling me that its not his fault that it could be a tension that holds the belt.I told him that he should of checked the tensions when he did the belts and he is telling me everything was fine.It just seems pretty funny that in 2wks the tension broke.Had a same problem last year with him.I paid him $650.00 already for the timing belt and he wants more money from me which I told him he is not getting anything from me for the same job that he did already.Well like i said before I dont trust any mechanic but I thought he was diffrent guessed wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
ouch

sorry to hear of your bad experience.

You have just shown why I continue to do most of the work on my own cars and trucks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Take him to Judge Judy!

She will make hime either pay you back for his shoddy work or repair the vehicle free of charge!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
sorry to hear of your bad experience.

You have just shown why I continue to do most of the work on my own cars and trucks!
Ditto................

·
Registered
470 Posts
wow sorry to hear about that. I feel the same way i try to do most of the work myself, if i have to take it to a shop i ask a million questions before leaving my car. hope everything works out.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Having done many Mitsubishi timing belts over the years, it looks like he reused the tensioner. They are pretty pricey, around $130 or so and unless it is reset properly, they will not hold tension and allow the belt to become loose and often slip. It is recommended to always replace with a new one.
Most who try to reuse will try to reset it by putting it in a vice. However, if you don't take care to make sure the vice does not contact the small bolt area on the back of the tensioner it will be damaged and not work right.
Anyhow, I'll bet anything this is what he did to pad the profit margin.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Having been a "mechanic" for over 30 years I have never had a timing belt "slip off" a tensioner,looks like he just took the belt off without slackening the tensioner off and forced it back on again,the whining noise is a symptom of a belt that is too tight.i.e.tensioner too tight,get a "proper mechanic" to take the tensioner off(and other pulleys including the water pump if the timing belt runs the water pump)and check the bearings,he will know what you're talking about,if any of the pulleys make a horrible noise when spun in your hand or have any play in them thats the culprit.I always change all the pulleys and tensioners when changing timing belts or I won't do the job,regardless of cost and profit

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
They usually over tighten them which screws the bearings in the tensioner or the cam pully.

He is responsible. I would even check to see if the belt was even replaced.

Talk to your lawyer as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes. You should find a new mechanic.

Do all my own work and enjoy doing it, and knowing it is done correctly. Have my own lift and many tools and equipment. This gives you a real piece of mind. Hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
was it an interference engine?
It's one in which an open intake or exhaust valve projects into the cylinder below the level to which the piston rises.

So, when the timing belt breaks, the cam stops, the valves stop because the cam has stopped, some of the valves are stopped in their open position, the pistons keep moving up and down driven by the crankshaft which is driven by the drivetrain as the car (now coasting without engine power) continues to roll under its own momentum.

The moving piston(s) hit (thus the term "interference") the open valve(s), causing the valve(s) to bend or break. The result: internal engine damage that can be extremely extensive to repair!

·
Registered
688 Posts
haha yeah i wasn't sure but that isn't gonna be cheap :pat:

good luck with that and I'd definitely have your lawyer write a letter to the mechanic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts