Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I've had my med/dark tinted taillights done so perfectly well from Jon's Tinted Tails for all of 2 weeks now and I've already been pulled over 3 times!!! The first time I got busted by a cop coming towards me and he turned around to come get me for not having a front license plate and also handed me a fix it ticket for the tinted tails. The other 2 times which happened within 24 hours of each other by different cops in different parts of Denver they came up behind me and pulled me over. I whipped out my already existing fix it ticket and told them it would be taken care of this weekend! At least they both let me go.

I just wish these fools would leave me alone and let me enjoy my car the way I want it. I guess it's the gangsta image of the car that's giving me up as I constantly see SUVs and trucks that have tinted tails and I doubt they get harassed as much as I have.

So... with that said, I'm sadly and reluctantly selling the tinted taillights that are all of 2 weeks old on ebay to the highest bidder so if you're interested then here's the link:

eBay Motors: ** TINTED ** Chrysler 300C SRT8 OEM set of Taillights (item 130215656809 end time Apr-20-08 20:37:46 PDT)

I also have my original set of OEM tail lights listed for sale since I don't really need them anymore...

I've attached a couple of pictures of the tinted tails. They light up fine at night and are perfectly safe during the day. I guess it must be quota time for the popo in the great city of Denver. BTW, they are being replaced with a set of black Altezza looking LEDs that I found on ebay. I guess since the lens is clear they are technically street legal but not nearly as cool looking as the tinted OEMS :frown:

Attachments

·
Banned
651 Posts
dude i have tinted tails and ive been pulled over. they give you a fix it ticket and you have like 2 months to get it taken care of. i let the 2 months run out and i got an extension. i have a pair of old tails at home i can swap out for the ticket clearance. but within those 2+ months i can get pulled over all i want and i can just show them my existing fix it ticket. i consider myself currently untouchable my law enforcement. Its only a $10 fix it ticket so just stick with your tinted tails they look awesome

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I like the look of tinted taillights, especially on a black car; but aren't you guys worried about someone not seeing your brake lights in time on a sunny day and piling into the back of your beautiful car? You say they light up "fine" but there's no way they can let through as much light as stock ones.

Seems to me if someone did rear-end you in traffic they could make a pretty good case for not being at fault (or at least not 100% to blame) if you were in heavy traffic and they didn't see your brake lights come on due to the tint. I've had 2 cars totalled in rear-end collisions over the years so maybe I'm over sensitive to this, but I couldn't imagine doing anything to make my brake lights less visible to drivers behind me. In fact when I had my windows tinted I insisted they go around the third brake light rather than tint the whole rear window.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biggest problem is that I always seem to get pulled over at the worst times. Never when I'm just out running errands or driving around but ALWAYS when I'm going to an appointment or picking up the wife or something like that. It is just way to inconvenient to have to be stopped to 10-15 minutes every week...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The biggest problem is that I always seem to get pulled over at the worst times. Never when I'm just out running errands or driving around but ALWAYS when I'm going to an appointment or picking up the wife or something like that. It is just way to inconvenient to have to be stopped to 10-15 minutes every week...

Aw cry me a river lol :worried:

I have no front plate, double limo on the sides, tinted windshield, really blue HID's, BLACKED out tails, and it's topped off with a heavy foot and erratic driving....

Welcome to the club....

Learn to cope with the pull overs and get a good story and you'll be out of them in 2 mins :biggrin:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aw cry me a river lol :worried:

I have no front plate, double limo on the sides, tinted windshield, really blue HID's, BLACKED out tails, and it's topped off with a heavy foot and erratic driving....

Welcome to the club....

Learn to cope with the pull overs and get a good story and you'll be out of them in 2 mins :biggrin:
LOL - at least I haven't been pulled over in this car for speeding... yet. Thank you V1!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
469 Posts
ehh im not too good at wiring stuff.

i just barely wired my halos to my parking lights.. i think ill stop at that.. a nice pat on the back for job well done and im satisfied.

thanks tho

·
Registered
142 Posts
bro i feel your pain i was driving in new york yesterday and i got pulled over by DT's and the funny thing is they are so bold they were driving right next to me and looked at me then got behind me and pulled me over in the same spot i got arrested for driving with a suspended license from 1998 but please explain to me how can my license be suspend since 1998 if i just transferred my license to maryland last year go figure.

*** Content deleted by Mod ***

·
Registered
376 Posts
You know, I wish all message boards would just lock posts like this whenever someone posts one. They all sound the same and provoke the same reactions from different walks of life. No offense to anyone, just stating facts. Most people are tired of hearing all the "I've got illegal equipment and the f'in cops keep pulling me over and I don't know why?" crap. Want to bash and or state your position? Take it to PM's. I'll keep further comments to myself. Moderator, consider this a lockdown request.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't like it then don't read it. I wish I would've come across posts about borderline harrassment from the cops just for having tinted tails before I spent the money to have them done and then now having to take a loss on them so I can get left alone. I don't read all the posts - only the ones that interest me. If mine is inappropriate then I'm sure the moderators will do what needs to be done. No offense.

·
Registered
376 Posts
No offense.
Nor do I intend you any. The thing is that it's a crap shoot anytime you modify anything outside the legal requirements of where you live. Every place is different so expecting to find a straight answer on any message board about whether or not you'll get screwed with is futile. Sometimes it happens and sometimes we all skate. You know how it is. Best of luck with any of your future endeavors. :) Hopefully, you can recoup costs.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I'm with Jabroni on this one. Mod to your heart's content...but don't act like you're being persecuted if the mods are illegal and the authorities do something about it. It aint personal, it's just business. And there might be a reason the law you broke exists in the first place. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's always best to check the local laws, sometimes there is a loophole, sometimes not.

This is the Ontario Highway Traffic Act section which pertains to lights.

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).
Lamps required on motorcycles
(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).
Idem
(3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (3).
Light requirement
(4) Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (4).
Exception
(5) Despite subsections (2) and (3), where a motorcycle that was manufactured prior to the 1st day of January, 1970 is operated on a highway, the lighted lamps required under subsections (2) and (3) shall be required only during the period from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise, or at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (5).
Strength of lamps
(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).
Attachment that affects lamps prohibited
(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),
(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
Exception
(7.1) Clause (7) (a) does not apply if the lamps are of the prescribed type or meet the prescribed standards. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

If my tails were tinted and I got pulled over I would have no recourse.

cheers

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is the Ontario Highway Traffic Act section which pertains to lights.

Light requirement
Attachment that affects lamps prohibited
(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),
(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
If you read this carefully, it refers to lamps on the front of the vehicle (the green underline emphasis). Tinted tails are not probited here.

Light requirement
(4) Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (4).
This section requires that the tail lights be visible at 150m. I don't know how they test to determine if a tinted tail light will meet this standard.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, he's in Denver so this code is pointless anyway for anything other than discussion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my comment the was deleted

just to set the record straight i wasn't saying that i wanted to harm hurt ki&* anyone cop (law enforcement, pigs, whatever you want to call them) i was saying by the way dirty cops act its no wonder what happens to them not saying all police are dirty and do ill things that. But being from NEW YORK and dealing with the wicked police here you would understand where i am coming from. so i just want to clarify that i dont wish this on anyone at all.

COP KILLING IS A SERIOUS DEAL AND I DON'T BELIEVE IN IT ALL

I HAVE FAMILY ON THE FORCE AND WOULDNT WANT TO BE ATTENDING A FUNERAL FOR ONE OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS BEING STRUCK BY SOMEONE BECAUSE OF A CAR OR MATERIALISTIC VALUE OR ANYTHING ELSE OF THE SORT.

JAMAL SMITH

THE EXECUTIVE:grouphug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts