Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe that I had to take out my freaking airbox to change my lightbulbs :pat: .

I was visiting my parents yesterday and found a stash of headlight bulbs that I had for my old car, so I took them back and exchanged them for 9005s and 9006s...thinking that this is going to be a piece of cake like changing the tail bulbs, I pull into the driveway (in the dark) and pop the hood. and see that I'm going to need a freaking ratchet to change my lights :yuck: . Needless to say, I drove home today with dieing lights, but they're changed out now and much better.

For anybody that's wondering, the Low Beams call for 9006XS for the 300C, but I bought plain old 9006's and they work without a problem. The only difference is an inline connection vs. a 90* connection.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Space is at a premium with everything they're putting under the hood of these HEMIs these days! I had a time on the passenger side getting my big hands in there to loosen the star screws of the hold-down ring. Access to the driver's side after removing the airbox was a cake-walk compared to that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually had a WICKED hard time getting the passenger side low beam bulb out. I didn't try loosening the ring, the guy at the dealer (I brought it in to ask if I was doing anything wrong) told me that I just had to twist the bulb out. Which is what I was trying to do, it just didn't want to budge. I didn't have a problem with the high beam, just the low on that side. But I finally got it and all is well.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
The first time I tried to put HIDs in an '05 300C (was traded for the MSRT8) I took the star screws all the way out with an allen wrench (didn't realize they were "stars")... including dropping one WAY DOWN THERE. That was a real pain to find, but I finally did! Now I know just to loosen them a bit and the twisting out of the bulb is much, MUCH easier!

·
Registered
255 Posts
No offense, but it takes like 20 seconds to unscrew the bolt and pull the air box off. Its not difficult in the least.

These are some of the easiest bulbs Ive ever changed out in car.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No offense, but it takes like 20 seconds to unscrew the bolt and pull the air box off. Its not difficult in the least.
Yeah, I know. But on my last car, which had a MUCH more cramped engine compartment, the engineers (and there's the distinction: engineers vs. designers) were kind enough to leave the backs of the headlights accessible for bulb changing purposes. You still had to pull off the rubber caps, but then you had access to the bulbs. Just the fact that I had to take the airbox out to do something as routine as change a lightbulb is kinda silly to me.

On my JK, I actually had to take the front facia off to change the lightbulbs, so I guess pulling the airbox isn't as bad as some chrysler products :pat: :smashfrea ...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thats o.k., in my fiance's Hyundia Elantra, you have to disconnect the
battery and pull it out to get to the headlight on the passenger side. Its not hard to do, but it
is time consuming when you have to disconnect this, pull that, move that
wire bundle out of the way. All this just to get to the back of the light
housing.

Jim

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats o.k., in my fiance's Hyundia Elantra, you have to disconnect the
battery and pull it out to get to the headlight on the passenger side. Its not hard to do, but it
is time consuming when you have to disconnect this, pull that, move that
wire bundle out of the way. All this just to get to the back of the light
housing.

Jim
Wow. That's pretty bad. I just find it amazing how these people made routine tasks like changing a lightbulb complicated.

way OT: I'm assuming that you drive a CJ7 as well? And that you're a pilot?
I sold my Jeep to get my 300, and I left flying 2 years ago to work in kitchens. If I'm misreading your screen name, disregard all of this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did mine last night.. The airbox only has the one bolt that attaches to the front bumper, and the one screw clamp that takes a couple twists with the good ol' flathead. The breather hose slides right off.

As for removing the 9006 lowbeams, I found it a little easier to push them in as I turned them the quarter turn counter clockwise. Make note of the direction the smaller slightly notched tab was in during removal, as it makes it easier to match up the replacement bulb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts