Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...g=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating=ZR&x=85&y=8

This was recommened a couple of months ago. I wanted to know if I should still get them. There still in stock at tirerack.com and still on special at $88 a tire.

I would like to know before I go through with the order if anything better has come out for the stock rims.

I wanted the best performance tires for Southern California weather which is mostly dry but wet sometimes. The best at the time was these, I wanted to know if anything better has come out in the past months.

Please help, time is running out, orig. Conti. on the 300C are getting worn down, and the middle tred is almost gone. HELP!!! :confused:

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
First300COwner said:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=245%2F&ratio=55&diameter=18&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&speed_rating=TR&speed_rating=UR&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating=ZR&x=85&y=8

This was recommened a couple of months ago. I wanted to know if I should still get them. There still in stock at tirerack.com and still on special at $88 a tire.

I would like to know before I go through with the order if anything better has come out for the stock rims.

I wanted the best performance tires for Southern California weather which is mostly dry but wet sometimes. The best at the time was these, I wanted to know if anything better has come out in the past months.

Please help, time is running out, orig. Conti. on the 300C are getting worn down, and the middle tred is almost gone. HELP!!! :confused:

The BF's at that price are a no brainer. Very good tire - silly cheap price.

BTW, how many miles are on your car to cause your conti's to run down? What tire pressure are you running?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Man, something is not right, those contis should be good for at least 40K unless you are autocrossing. I am thinking about the BFG for performance and save the Contis for resale in 6 yrs or so??

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Man, something is not right, those contis should be good for at least 40K unless you are autocrossing. I am thinking about the BFG for performance and save the Contis for resale in 6 yrs or so??
Yep, the Conti's are a smooth riding, quiet, hi-mileage touring tire.

First300COwner has been having a string of bad luck, by his account. Just yesterday his car was over-revving.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm scared I don't know.

I have 17,000 miles and some change on them. I'm pretty sure there getting to the time to replace level. I drive the car hard. Serioulsy I probably burned rubber on the CONTI's about 20-25 times, over the past 11 months. But I don't visit the track.

How do you read the treadwear markers? If the water trough/trench is still higher than the treadwear hump is that good? The middle water trough/trench is even with the wear maker. The others are above by just a bit.

I thought I would get at least 30k on these.

This might help you guys help me, On my Prelude I would get about 22,000-25,000 per set of tire, but they were Bridgstone Potenzas SR-72's or somthing like that. They were Wet/Summer tires high performance, I heard they had short life anyway so.......... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OHH about the tire pressure Northern!

I know it my own fault, but I don't know. I should check it weekly but I'm to lazy to. I think is 30 or 35psi. Whatever the techs leave it at. I just make sure that the tires don't look too flat before I drive, they always look the same. I used to check pressure in the Lude all the time, but not in the C.

What's the recommended pressure anyway? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I Think you should read my post in the wheel and tire section on the BF Goodrich. A better choice would be the Mich mxv. I think it is the tire that comes on the AWD/300. Have to check. The BFG is 1/2 " taller than the orig.
Wear your kidney belt, if you go BFG. Use to be the only thing I would run ( COMP T/A). The tires that Got From BFG were 3 years old, from the supplier. The G-Force II does not come in our size. Dixie

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rabbit hole goes deeper!

I found these tires at tirerack.com Same exact size as stock contis. and are all-season tires, which I really wan't some summer tires but oh well. How do you folks think these would be to the Contis. since Dixies review of the BF's was bad, I might have to take another tire. I'm trying to stay away from those Contis., they feel loose in corners and give me no confidence. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
1st300c, Those MXV are high speed rated and come with a 50,000 mile warranty, I think.. Sears will meet the Tire Rack price and mount and bal. for about $12.50. They are the same height as stock and will give a much more secure ride than the Gum filled Conti. I hope to get a set soon. Just want to make sure that I have all alignment problems worked out. My stock conti's show some unusual tire wear patterns at only 6,000 miles. To detailed to get in, on this post. Getting them at Sears will let you go to one place for all the tire service, without one dealer shifting the blame to the other, if something goes wrong. Dixie

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dixietwister said:
1st300c, Those MXV are high speed rated and come with a 50,000 mile warranty, I think.. Sears will meet the Tire Rack price and mount and bal. for about $12.50. They are the same height as stock and will give a much more secure ride than the Gum filled Conti. I hope to get a set soon. Just want to make sure that I have all alignment problems worked out. My stock conti's show some unusual tire wear patterns at only 6,000 miles. To detailed to get in, on this post. Getting them at Sears will let you go to one place for all the tire service, without one dealer shifting the blame to the other, if something goes wrong. Dixie
Your right Dixie! The only thing that kills me is the $160 price for each tire, versus 88-90$ Pirelli and BFGoods. This month has been slow buisness for me.

I'm most worried about buying those BF's or Pirellis and having a bunch of problems with balancing and ride! I never new tires can be so much trouble, I thought if they fit, then they fit and that's it. Guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
141 Posts
First, You might find someone removing a new set of MXV's from their AWD before too long. I saw 2 sets of MXV take off tires on Ebay last week. 1 set was $119 plus shipping the other was $199. Shipping about $80. But then you have to worry about what might be wrong with them, as well as extra charge for mounting and bal. I think those tires are 235/50/18

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol!

Nice info Dixie! Truly a lot of help. I'm going to try and ride on these Contis for awhile longer and see what happens. Maybe I'll get lucky and Bridgstone will make some Potenza's for it LOL. :D

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
In a word, YES.

As for expected tire life as others have mentioned, it has been my experience living in states from OH, to FL, to now TX that alot of things can have an impact on tire life. Some people can get 30-40K plus out of tires, I have YET to do so. Other than things within your ability to change (tire pressure maintenance, driving habits, etc.) some other factors I have found have a definite difference are heat (I mean climate heat and how hot road surfaces get) as well as what the roads are made out of. On asphalt up North I used to do OK with tire wear, down here the concrete gets very hot and is also naturally more abrasive so life isn't what you would think.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
1st 300c; I used to own a tire store

Replace them now

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They died for a good cause..........

Northern Rider said:
Here's a link to why your Conti tires need to be thrown on the scrap heap:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38036#post38036
Ahhh, point taken Northern. I frock around to much with the tires. If I would just drive like a normal person they would still have half the tread life on em'. Maybe with my next set I might try to cool it a bit.

On second thought maybe not! LOL J/K :p

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Dixietwister said:
The BFG is 1/2 " taller than the orig.
Wear your kidney belt, if you go BFG. Use to be the only thing I would run ( COMP T/A). The tires that Got From BFG were 3 years old, from the supplier. The G-Force II does not come in our size. Dixie
Wear your kidney belt? I have the BFG gForce KDWS tires on my 300C and the ride improved over the self-sealing Continentals. And the handling is so much better. These are also just as quiet, if not quieter, than the original tires.

As for height, the two tires are virtually identical, with the BFG tire being 0.1% smaller than the OEM, according to this tire size tool: http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

This should not be a hard decision. The BFG tires are currently the best performing tires that fit our stock wheels. Who knows what the future may bring? Goodyear may make the Eagle F1 GSD3 in an appropriate size some day. But for now, the BFG gForce KDWS in 245/55-18 at only $88 each simply rocks!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys!

DZeckhausen said:
Wear your kidney belt? I have the BFG gForce KDWS tires on my 300C and the ride improved over the self-sealing Continentals. And the handling is so much better. These are also just as quiet, if not quieter, than the original tires.

As for height, the two tires are virtually identical, with the BFG tire being 0.1% smaller than the OEM, according to this tire size tool: http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

This should not be a hard decision. The BFG tires are currently the best performing tires that fit our stock wheels. Who knows what the future may bring? Goodyear may make the Eagle F1 GSD3 in an appropriate size some day. But for now, the BFG gForce KDWS in 245/55-18 at only $88 each simply rocks!
SOLD! I'm ordering them right NOW! Hey DZ can you let me barrow $352. Just kidding :D . Thank you everyone for all your input. I'm going to try to treat these tires a little more gentle. Not only are my tires suffering by my reckless habits but so is the car.

Thanks folks,
First300COwner

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I was about to submit the order when tirerack.com gave me the option to have my tires dropped off at a tire shop near by for installing. I call the shop closest to see what its all about. The guy on the phone asked the price of the tires I told him and he said ouch! $88 a piece was a really good deal. But.......

He matched em' and I save on shipping! Total for everything was $439 and some change. Itwould of been around $488 the other way. So I guess it worked out. Nice!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts