Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I enjoyed a beautiful drive up the M6 from Birmingham to the Lake District at a steady 80 mph (whoops, a typo), as usual, I got over 40mpg for the trip.

I remembered the forum and how some members are only getting low to mid 30's from such a trip and it set my mind at work.

This may work, it may not work, it might just me Arnie, it may be all 300C CRD's, but here goes.

As soon as I hit a piece of road where I can carry a consistent speed I hit the cruise, its something that I have always done and its as natural to me as smiling every time I get into the car. On this trip, I started playing with the EVIC whilst I was on the move and I settled onto pedal position and I kept a really close eye on it. Consistently, over a period of 100 miles, the cruise control pedal position was 3-5% LOWER than when I was using my right foot - at all speeds. Its something that I'd never noticed before and I thought it was worth sharing with everyone else.

Does anyone else have any opinions/thoughts/experience of this ?

·
Registered
519 Posts
.....up the M6 from Birmingham to the Lake District at a steady 80 mph .........where I can carry a consistent speed .....
I'm impressed at 40mpg....but more impressed that you were able to go up the M6 at more than 50mph; I always hit heavy traffic north of Birmingham!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Today I enjoyed a beautiful drive up the M6 from Birmingham to the Lake District at a steady 80 mph (whoops, a typo), as usual, I got over 40mpg for the trip.

I remembered the forum and how some members are only getting low to mid 30's from such a trip and it set my mind at work.

This may work, it may not work, it might just me Arnie, it may be all 300C CRD's, but here goes.

As soon as I hit a piece of road where I can carry a consistent speed I hit the cruise, its something that I have always done and its as natural to me as smiling every time I get into the car. On this trip, I started playing with the EVIC whilst I was on the move and I settled onto pedal position and I kept a really close eye on it. Consistently, over a period of 100 miles, the cruise control pedal position was 3-5% LOWER than when I was using my right foot - at all speeds. Its something that I'd never noticed before and I thought it was worth sharing with everyone else.

Does anyone else have any opinions/thoughts/experience of this ?

thats exactly what I do in my hemi,I dont get 40 mpg though.lol.You would be suprised how much fluctuation you get driving with your foot.When on cruise control its a bit eerie as you're doing a steady 80(bloody typo) and the car in front seems to be slowing down then speeding up on an open road but I have to agree that when on a mway,cruise control is the way especially if you're travelling a long way

·
Registered
315 Posts
the cruise control pedal position was 3-5% LOWER than when I was using my right foot - at all speeds.

[/quote]

I would agree with that assessment - certainly on a fairly level stretch of road and even when climbing a slight gradient. If you watch the mpg bar indicator its amazing how you can maintain the speed even when easing off on the right welly.

Be careful though. Its fun playing with the EVIC but it does take your mind away from whats happening around you.:pat: :smashfrea

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be careful though. Its fun playing with the EVIC but it does take your mind away from whats happening around you.:pat: :smashfrea
what ???!?!?!?!?!?!!?? there was things happening around me :pat: :biggrin:

hey rgr, if you're ever on a long trip, make sure that you're tucked in, just behind me - I must be the spawniest motorist in Britain for making 'steady' progress on the motorways.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
with the hemi with its MDS the road has to be as flat as Holland,slightest mound or 1% extra pedal and the MDS cuts out and it takes about 5-10 miles to cut back in again but at 80mph(bloody keyboard) I get 25mpg with the MDS not "in"..,if you know What I mean.I(my missus) had 5 cyl 2.0 Marea a few years ago and that could only manage 27mpg so I dont feel so bad and her current car Rav 4 D4D does 35mpg but her Fiat Barchetta 1.8 petrol does 40mpg no matter what,but obviously I dont go in that...I'm a bloke.lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
driving 25000 a year i have experimented a lot trying different techniques on the same piece of road as all of this driving is M25/M11/A11/A47 and have come to the considered conclusion that on flat bits use the cruise, going uphill use your foot and concentrate real hard on not moving it and allow it to slow down gently as you go up and dont move your foot unless it goes too slow and going downhill let it speed up gently and dont move your foot unless it gets too fast.

this gives better results than using cruise all the time IMO.

same thing for fuel economy in a helicopter, there is an optimum "range speed" which in a small helicopter is around 80 knots, go a little faster into wind and a little slower downwind gives better results, wind works like hills in this regard

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
448 Posts
same thing for fuel economy in a helicopter, there is an optimum "range speed" which in a small helicopter is around 80 knots, go a little faster into wind and a little slower downwind gives better results, wind works like hills in this regard

regards

elpirata
Using your helicopter analogy, you've also got to bear in mind the prevailing wind will have a significant effect on economy, especially when your car is as aerodynamic as ours :). I can see a significant variation on the same long trip on clear roads on different days, which I can only put down to this. Can make the difference between 37 and 41 on my fairly regular 240 mile round trip.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I,ve been experimenting with switching the Air con off to save fuel. It worked with prevoius cars, But I'm not sure with a car with bags of torque it would make much difference. Trying to switch it off was the hardest thing and I'm still not sure if its off. I will have to wait until its hotter outside to see if its still on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My MPG went down the drain after the remapping... :biggrin: Full throttle powers slides in a diesel, who would have thought... :biggrin: Seriously, I also do get 40MPG if I so wished. :biggrin:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I,ve been experimenting with switching the Air con off to save fuel. It worked with prevoius cars, But I'm not sure with a car with bags of torque it would make much difference. Trying to switch it off was the hardest thing and I'm still not sure if its off. I will have to wait until its hotter outside to see if its still on.

Hmm, took me a while to turn the AC off too - I can't see the "0" setting from my driving position - doh!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts