Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas/tips on how I can increase the MPG on my 2008 300 Signature? It says 17 city, and I am a lead foot.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I saw my mpgs increase after I added a CAI, full synthetic oil and a Predator. I bumped up about 2.5 mpgs with those mods. That is in a C though, the V-6 may be better or worse.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Stop being a lead foot!? LOL

WELCOME to the forum. Please consider making an introductory thread in our New Members section so that more people will recognize you have lead foot issues! HA.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
flanny welcome to the forums and as stated by Tim you have to that get rid of that lead foot and i haven't figured that one out yet myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flanny welcome to the forums and as stated by Tim you have to that get rid of that lead foot and i haven't figured that one out yet myself.
That may be a problem haha. I drive all over the state for work, about 300 miles a day, and I would really like to find a way to get better mileage for that reason (and still being able to put the pedal to the metal).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i would suggest a tuner best bang for the buck maybe HPNO300 will chime in i think he has done a few mods tuner etc. and 300 miles a day WOW! i use to do 120 miles driving back and forth to LAX.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
You should calculate your MPG yourself rather than trusting the EVIC. Also are you only driving all city or all highway or a mix of both? Another thing to keep in mind that most forget sometimes about filling their tires to the proper PSI level. If your tires are under inflated or even over inflated then that could really hurt your gas mileage so always make sure your tires are at the correct level. Also of course it would help if you didn't stomp on it all the time.

As for me, before the predator I only had an airhammer intake installed and was getting around 15-17 mpg with mainly city driving and some highway driving but whenever I would do mainly highway I would get around 16-19 mpg. Now with the predator (93 octane tune with 20% throttle boost and increased shifting), ported TB, and airhammer intake, I get around 17-19 mpg with mainly city driving and some highway and if I do more highway I will get around 18-20 mpg so for sure I have noticed an increase.

FYI, my 300 is an 06 Touring 3.5L model with the NAG1 5 speed tranny and not the 4 speed with 22s and I am around the 83K mile mark and all those times I have driven as of lately, I drive "normal" with some aggressive driving here and there with the A/C on so just giving you some real world info. Also keep my tires around 37 PSI.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
The Signature Series is a 3.5L V6 right? On road trips in our 300C (V8), we get between 22-24 mpg (manually calculated). In town, our average is more like 14-15 mpg. We have stock-size tires at 38 psig, a 180 Tstat, CAI and run a Predator 91octane canned tune with stock shiting and fan on/off adjustments only.

One thing you can do in level city driving is to start slow (anti-lead foot) and quickly auto-stick shift to the highest gear (lowest rpm) your tranny will allow for the speed you maintain. The "risk" in this is that IF your heavy foot starts to do it's thing and you're in too high a gear, knock will ensue and the PCM will pull timing. Too much routine in doing this and the timing delay becomes long-term learning and that will hurt your lead-foot fun and fuel economy to some degree.

But if you remember that you're in autostick and down shift when you want to go with some gusto, timing effects shouldn't be a problem.

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,165 Posts
The MPG figures obtained by the Environmental Protection Agency should be considered as estimates to be used only for comparison purposes. The actual mileage you can expect depends on the individual driving habits of the person using the vehicle, the conditions under which it is driven, and the vehicle's mechanical condition.

Below are some tips to improve fuel economy.

Drive Sensibly
Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town. Sensible driving is also safer for you and others, so you may save more than gas money.

Fuel Economy Benefit: 5-33%

Observe the Speed Limit
Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph.
Each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.15 per gallon for gas. Observing the speed limit is also safer.
Fuel Economy Benefit: 7-23%

Keep tires at the proper inflation level.
Fuel Economy Benefit: up to 5%

Remove Excess Weight
Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.
Fuel Economy Benefit: 1-2%/100 lbs

Avoid Excessive Idling
Idling gets 0 miles per gallon. Cars with larger engines typically waste more gas at idle than do cars with smaller engines.

Use Cruise Control
Using cruise control on the highway helps you maintain a constant speed and, in most cases, will save gas.

Use Overdrive Gears
When you use overdrive gearing, your car's engine speed goes down. This saves gas and reduces engine wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts