Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

My plan to purchase an '08 300CSTR8 in the States and bring it back to Canada has hit a snafu. Apparently, the Government du Canada has made a law that says all '08 models must have an immobilizer which, I understand, the US models do not come with.

My question is this: do any of you knowledgeable folks know what is involved in installing this piece of equipment. I can't screw a light bulb on my own, so I am relying on someone here to enlighten me. Is it something I could have done in the States? Or, would it be a fix I'd need a Canadian dealer to make? I would much prefer to have it done in the US.

Thanks, I'm looking foward to hearing any info you guys have on this issue.

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Actually yes the Sentry Key is an immobilizer (Are they reffering to a RFID Transponder system?) if so, then just check off the Sentry Key option and you are good to go.. If they are talking about something else, then I have no clue.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Yeah Rick, I think we need to know exactly what that is first. Can you give us some more details on what it is other than the obvious engine immobilizer?

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Well, I just did a quick search on this and it seems it's a fact.

Car, Auto Insurance: Vehicle manufacturers announce plan to install Canadian-standard anti-theft vehicle immobilizers in all new 2008 automobiles

Now, seeing as these cars are made in Canada in the first place, you'd think that all LX's would have this feature regardless of what country they are going to. It just doesn't make sense as they're coming down the line to put different parts in some cars. I'm betting it'll turn out that if it's not in ALL cars that it's a StarScan thing just like the DRL's were.

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Just reading the link within the link above, I'm pretty certain our vehicles have had this since the LX first came out, so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Immobilizers are integrated into the vehicle’s circuitry and engine-management system. They automatically interrupt the power to multiple electronic circuits, usually the starter motor, ignition and fuel pump circuits, when the specially coded key is removed from the ignition switch, or the vehicle is shut off.
Your best defense against auto theft: Immobilizers meeting the National Standard of Canada (CAN/ULC-S338-98)

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Hey guys,

My plan to purchase an '08 300CSTR8 in the States and bring it back to Canada has hit a snafu.
The dealership I worked for briefly would NOT sell a vehicle to a Canadian resident (we're 100 miles from the border) as the invoice and Monroney label clearly stated the vehicles were for the U.S. Market only. And due to our "Patriot Act" requiring us to have driver's licence copies and verified addresses for all purchasers, a customer could not just come in and pay for a car or truck and drive off without giving us this information.

If you find a dealer in the US who WILL sell you a vehicle without residency here, they are not doing you a favor as I'm pretty sure you will have NO WARRANTY on your car once you register it in Canada.

Can't you just buy a Chrysler in Canada and avoid all those issues?

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
The dealership I worked for briefly would NOT sell a vehicle to a Canadian resident (we're 100 miles from the border) as the invoice and Monroney label clearly stated the vehicles were for the U.S. Market only. And due to our "Patriot Act" requiring us to have driver's licence copies and verified addresses for all purchasers, a customer could not just come in and pay for a car or truck and drive off without giving us this information.

If you find a dealer in the US who WILL sell you a vehicle without residency here, they are not doing you a favor as I'm pretty sure you will have NO WARRANTY on your car once you register it in Canada.

Can't you just buy a Chrysler in Canada and avoid all those issues?
I'm not so sure about that Keven. Jaded300c just bought his car from the US. Now in his case it was used, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

The reason buying a car in the US is so attractive now is our dollar is stronger plus our cars cost so much more. Yeah, we won't have a warranty, but in the end when you're saving thousands of dollars and that saved money can go a long way for repairs. That's the way i see it anyway. At one point I was seriously considering buying my Jeep down there and probably would have saved over $8000. That buys a lot of repairs over three years.

Bernie

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great feedback guys. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this immobilizer thing, but since it involves the governement, it's not that easy. It would be awesome if the US-model 2008 LX cars are equipped with the immobilizing technology, ie does the Sentry Key qualify? I was hoping someone could confirm that the LX cars satisfy the new Canadian regulations. I'm over here in Tokyo so calling a dealer is a big pain with the time difference. I have a buddy in Calgary who is going to drop by a dealer and see what he can get out them.

On the "selling new vehicles to Canadians" issue, it is becoming virtually impossible, especially the closer to the Canadian-US border you get to find dealers willing to sell to Canadians. Dealers have been threatened that selling to Canadians can result in dealer license suspension and/or fines. (NAFTA is a myth!) I've been in contact with a few dealers (mostly in the South) that don't give a crap and will sell a new car. There's actually a few anti-discrimination law suits in the pipe about this issue. As it is, some Canadian dealers are refusing to service US-purchased vehicles through the warranty department, but all you usually need is a threat of litigation and they get off their high horses. My friend bought his Escalade in Vegas and the local Cadillac dealer in Calgary has no issue with servicing that vehicle.

Buying used vehicles is much easier, but some companies get a bit sticky on what exactly "used" means. Anyhow, I just want to know if I'm in for a $2000 modification if I bring an '08 model back. That's what I have heard an immobilizer can cost, but that wasn't specific to the LX cars. If I have to buy a '07 than so be it, but I really like the idea of saving big bucks by buying in the States. Plus, the selection is amazing compared to Canada.

I'll keep doing my own research on this topic, but if any of you guys come across pertinent info, please post it here in this thread.

Thanks a lot eveyone!

Rick

[EDIT]
I think I found the answer to my question. According to this press release on the "Immobilization Act" all Canadian model 300's from the '00 to the '08 are in accordance with the requirement! In my original post, I stated the US models were not equipped with the immobilizer when actually, what I meant to say was, they are not REQUIRED BY LAW to be equipped. But, like a few of you have stated, they do have the Sentry Key so they must be. This is great news.

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime/documents/immobilizers/TDS_APPROVED_E.pdf

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
That's great news. I kinda thought they wouldn't discriminate by not putting it in US cars.

How much do you figure you're saving by doing this? I would imagine you'll have to pay PST/GST on it too though. Not sure, but I think we talked about this a long time ago.

Bernie

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And now I'm hearing that there will need to be some sort of dealer modification. If I go for a model built prior to sept of 2007 the car would be exempt. Why is so hard to get answers from some people? (not you guys!)

Here's what my buddy who has imported several cars had to say about it today in an email.

"Phoned to Courtesy Chrysler Saturday. Parts referred me to service, who said they need to have the car in their shop before they can provide a price to install the immobilizer (depending on what components are installed and what reprogramming is required). It was a total run around, but it really isn’t in their best interest to give this info out or make it easy on importers. I got the same comment when I first phoned on the Tundras about daytime running lights, even though it is a $100 part that you can install yourself."

A used '07 in Calgary goes for mid-40's whereas I can get into a '07 for low-30's in the States. Even with the 5% GST (no PST in Alberta, not sure if you even have to pay the PST when importing to a province that does have PST) you come out winning.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
A used '07 in Calgary goes for mid-40's whereas I can get into a '07 for low-30's in the States. Even with the 5% GST (no PST in Alberta, not sure if you even have to pay the PST when importing to a province that does have PST) you come out winning.
Yeah, you guys are lucky not having PST. The rest of us would have to pay it. That's a total of 13%!!! Still sounds like a good deal though even with the PST.

Hey, keep us informed about this thing. I still think it's nothing more than a software flash though or enabling something with the StarScan.

Bernie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts