Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new to the forum I recently inherited my dad's 2006 300C 5.7L. He was the original owner and its running strong at 160k.

Recently I bought an Alternative Performance Engineering E85 FlexFuel kit for my 2006 300C 5.7L and installed it. I love E85 and run it in all of my vehicles. The two big reasons why are: 1. more HP and 2. cheaper per mile. In full disclosure A.P.E. gave me a small discount on the flex fuel kit so I could do a review and post about it. Otherwise I bought it with my own money. I looked around at other options and decided the A.P.E. kit was the best for the 300C.

I made a video in which I tested the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of my car before and after switching to E85. No other mods were done and I dropped almost .5 seconds from my 0-60 and consistent gains in the 1/4.

I calculated that on 91 octane premium gas I can get 21 MPG and it costs me 22 cents per mile. On E85 if I get 16 MPG it costs me 18 cents per mile, AND it's faster! Win win!

Check out my video below for the full story. I know E85 can sometimes be controversial but for me I love it. I have over 150,000 miles on E85 in various vehicles and I love using it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you replace your entire fuel handling system with one that is alcohol resistant? Similar to a flex fuel vehicle? Personally, I wouldn't fool with any ethanol blended gasolines unless I lived in Brazil, where high ethanol blends are mandatory. The crime wave in Brazil is off of the charts - wondering if there is a correlation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you replace your entire fuel handling system with one that is alcohol resistant? Similar to a flex fuel vehicle? Personally, I wouldn't fool with any ethanol blended gasolines unless I lived in Brazil, where high ethanol blends are mandatory. The crime wave in Brazil is off of the charts - wondering if there is a correlation?
No I did not. This is the 6th vehicle I have converted to E85 and I only replaced the fuel lines on one of those cars. Every car since pretty much 1999 has been built with fuel lines rated to run "biofuels" already so it's not necessary on a car like the 300C, which was built with E15 being commonly available at the time in the USA and the rest of the world.

I'll post back here if any negative effects crop up but like I said I have over 150k on E85 about 6 years now not a single issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With America's food supply forcast to tighten greatly in the near future, diverting 1/3 of the national corn harvest (present) for ethanol production will make no sense. Blending ethanol into gasoline only makes sense in a 'national emergency' scenario' as ethanol production is subsidized by the government. Standard, non blended gasoline is now considered as 'recreational fuels' and priced accordingly unfortunately. Blending ethanol into motor fuels was NEVER a good idea.

From February of this year: Corn ethanol no better—and probably worse—than burning gasoline, study says

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
With America's food supply forcast to tighten greatly in the near future, diverting 1/3 of the national corn harvest (present) for ethanol production will make no sense. Blending ethanol into gasoline only makes sense in a 'national emergency' scenario' as ethanol production is subsidized by the government. Standard, non blended gasoline is now considered as 'recreational fuels' and priced accordingly unfortunately. Blending ethanol into motor fuels was NEVER a good idea.

From February of this year: Corn ethanol no better—and probably worse—than burning gasoline, study says
If you want to eat more high fructose corn syrup, go ahead! I'd rather run my car on it, personally. Corn is grown in the USA with subsidy from the government to keep the land in good condition and prevent a dust bowl situation. Secondly, much of the corn grown for food is wasted like the stalks and leaves which ethanol can be made from. Lastly, the price of E85 reflects the fact that ethanol is made from surplus corn that otherwise would not have a buyer. On top of that ethanol can be made from food waste product, which is done in Brazil for instance. If there is a strong E85 economy in the USA, then other sources of ethanol would become profitable.

There are companies that go around to restaurants and collect cooking oil and then make biodiesel to use and sell. The same could be done with ethanol.

Either way, I'm not going to save the world myself but I can save a few bucks and go faster. And that's the type of thing I'm interested in (y)

·
Registered
86 Posts
An interesting 'first post'. You folks keep popping up from time to time.... :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts