Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new to the forum I recently inherited my dad's 2006 300C 5.7L. He was the original owner and its running strong at 160k.

Recently I bought an Alternative Performance Engineering E85 FlexFuel kit for my 2006 300C 5.7L and installed it. I love E85 and run it in all of my vehicles. The two big reasons why are: 1. more HP and 2. cheaper per mile. In full disclosure A.P.E. gave me a small discount on the flex fuel kit so I could do a review and post about it. Otherwise I bought it with my own money. I looked around at other options and decided the A.P.E. kit was the best for the 300C.

I made a video in which I tested the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of my car before and after switching to E85. No other mods were done and I dropped almost .5 seconds from my 0-60 and consistent gains in the 1/4.

I calculated that on 91 octane premium gas I can get 21 MPG and it costs me 22 cents per mile. On E85 if I get 16 MPG it costs me 18 cents per mile, AND it's faster! Win win!

Check out my video below for the full story. I know E85 can sometimes be controversial but for me I love it. I have over 150,000 miles on E85 in various vehicles and I love using it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you replace your entire fuel handling system with one that is alcohol resistant? Similar to a flex fuel vehicle? Personally, I wouldn't fool with any ethanol blended gasolines unless I lived in Brazil, where high ethanol blends are mandatory. The crime wave in Brazil is off of the charts - wondering if there is a correlation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you replace your entire fuel handling system with one that is alcohol resistant? Similar to a flex fuel vehicle? Personally, I wouldn't fool with any ethanol blended gasolines unless I lived in Brazil, where high ethanol blends are mandatory. The crime wave in Brazil is off of the charts - wondering if there is a correlation?
No I did not. This is the 6th vehicle I have converted to E85 and I only replaced the fuel lines on one of those cars. Every car since pretty much 1999 has been built with fuel lines rated to run "biofuels" already so it's not necessary on a car like the 300C, which was built with E15 being commonly available at the time in the USA and the rest of the world.

I'll post back here if any negative effects crop up but like I said I have over 150k on E85 about 6 years now not a single issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
With America's food supply forcast to tighten greatly in the near future, diverting 1/3 of the national corn harvest (present) for ethanol production will make no sense. Blending ethanol into gasoline only makes sense in a 'national emergency' scenario' as ethanol production is subsidized by the government. Standard, non blended gasoline is now considered as 'recreational fuels' and priced accordingly unfortunately. Blending ethanol into motor fuels was NEVER a good idea.

From February of this year: Corn ethanol no better—and probably worse—than burning gasoline, study says

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
With America's food supply forcast to tighten greatly in the near future, diverting 1/3 of the national corn harvest (present) for ethanol production will make no sense. Blending ethanol into gasoline only makes sense in a 'national emergency' scenario' as ethanol production is subsidized by the government. Standard, non blended gasoline is now considered as 'recreational fuels' and priced accordingly unfortunately. Blending ethanol into motor fuels was NEVER a good idea.

From February of this year: Corn ethanol no better—and probably worse—than burning gasoline, study says
If you want to eat more high fructose corn syrup, go ahead! I'd rather run my car on it, personally. Corn is grown in the USA with subsidy from the government to keep the land in good condition and prevent a dust bowl situation. Secondly, much of the corn grown for food is wasted like the stalks and leaves which ethanol can be made from. Lastly, the price of E85 reflects the fact that ethanol is made from surplus corn that otherwise would not have a buyer. On top of that ethanol can be made from food waste product, which is done in Brazil for instance. If there is a strong E85 economy in the USA, then other sources of ethanol would become profitable.

There are companies that go around to restaurants and collect cooking oil and then make biodiesel to use and sell. The same could be done with ethanol.

Either way, I'm not going to save the world myself but I can save a few bucks and go faster. And that's the type of thing I'm interested in (y)

·
Registered
100 Posts
An interesting 'first post'. You folks keep popping up from time to time.... :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been driving for a little while now and my MPG is coming back 14-15 MPG around town with healthy throttle use. I was very surprised I went on a road trip to Nebraska and got 18-19 MPG on about E60 fuel. Better than expected! Paid only $3/gal the whole road trip at 18 MPG that's what I'm talking about! On this same trip in the past I would get about 20 MPG on 91 premium. Premium is $4.79-4.99 around here. So just this trip I saved $60 in about 750 miles. Score! Doing burnouts at this lower elevation just pulling away from stop signs 😂 So at this rate the kit will pay for itself in about 7000-8000 miles (y)

Rectangle Font Fixture Vehicle registration plate Signage

·
Registered
874 Posts
That fuel economy sucks for a 5.7 with MDS, no matter what fuel you're using. My slightly modified 05 Magnum 5.7 (see signature below) routinely gets 15-16 mpg in town and 27-30 mpg on the highway (range is almost always over 500 miles) at the sweet spot between about 63-70 mph, and that's with either 87 in the winter and 89 or 91 in the summer, mostly non-ethanol. When it was new and completely stock it got 13-14 mpg in town and 23-24 mpg on the highway. When I had my 06 300C SRT8 with only a mild cam and one of my HP Tunes (of course no MDS), it used to get almost exactly what the Magnum got when it was stock. Also, most of my driving is at 2500-5000 ft. elevation in hilly/mountainous terrain, not flat at near sea level where it does better yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That fuel economy sucks for a 5.7 with MDS, no matter what fuel you're using. My slightly modified 05 Magnum 5.7 (see signature below) routinely gets 15-16 mpg in town and 27-30 mpg on the highway (range is almost always over 500 miles) at the sweet spot between about 63-70 mph, and that's with either 87 in the winter and 89 or 91 in the summer, mostly non-ethanol. When it was new and completely stock it got 13-14 mpg in town and 23-24 mpg on the highway. When I had my 06 300C SRT8 with only a mild cam and one of my HP Tunes (of course no MDS), it used to get almost exactly what the Magnum got when it was stock. Also, most of my driving is at 2500-5000 ft. elevation in hilly/mountainous terrain, not flat at near sea level where it does better yet.
Ok well I'm going 80 MPH on the interstate on cruise control. And we get the same MPG in town so I guess it's pretty good for E85! Never gotten more than 24 MPG out of this car ever, my dad owned since new. It's always had 20"s on it though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
20's do make a difference, but look nicer, IMO.

·
Registered
874 Posts
That's why both of my gas burners sit in the garage most of the time now. I add fuel to them about once every two months or so. With my Tesla Model S Plaid, at home, I pay 5.6 cents per killowatt hour (non-peak hours) to charge. That is usually less that $4.00 every 300-350 miles. Also, my 0-60 times are about 2.0 seconds and it does the quarter mile in 9.3 and 148 miles per hour in Plaid Mode. In Sport Mode it's a real dog and only runs the quarter in about 10.50 and 131 mph. And, it takes only about 2 Kwh per run, so it's quite economical to race.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's why both of my gas burners sit in the garage most of the time now. I add fuel to them about once every two months or so. With my Tesla Model S Plaid, at home, I pay 5.6 cents per killowatt hour (non-peak hours) to charge. That is usually less that $4.00 every 300-350 miles. Also, my 0-60 times are about 2.0 seconds and it does the quarter mile in 9.3 and 148 miles per hour in Plaid Mode. In Sport Mode it's a real dog and only runs the quarter in about 10.50 and 131 mph. And, it takes only about 2 Kwh per run, so it's quite economical to race.
Sounds boring. I built my own electric car and I'm restoring a 40 year old electric car on the side.

Hop in your Tesla and follow me to Nebraska. You stop to charge and I'll use cheap E85. We'll see who gets there first :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ethanol blended gasoline was a well known scam a decade ago.

Might be a good idea if your car has compression, pressurized induction, complete stainless steel fuel system and the requisite tune. Increased fuel consumption would make this set up a poor choice for highway travel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ethanol blended gasoline was a well known scam a decade ago.

Might be a good idea if your car has compression, pressurized induction, complete stainless steel fuel system and the requisite tune. Increased fuel consumption would make this set up a poor choice for highway travel.

Wrong. I actually save about $15-20 per fill up and it's .5 seconds faster 0-60.

Thanks for the BS again!

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 300 C
14 Posts
Wrong. I actually save about $15-20 per fill up and it's .5 seconds faster 0-60.

Thanks for the BS again!
I accidently bought a tank full of E15 gas instead of E10 the other month. I lost 5 miles per gallon on that tank, and the car ran like sh*t. I did not save any money.
Also, I now know where to find pure gas. ( no Ethanol ) If That happens again I'll add Pure Gas to fix it.
If anyone wants to find pure gas near you - go to Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada

1 - 20 of 21 Posts