Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of waiting for my headers and went ahead and installed my Magnaflow cat back system. Why this post?
Instead of putting the straight sections (that came with the kit) right behind the cats , I left the factory X pipe in. I pulled them off and stretch them to 3" then clamped the new center muffler to that. When I get the headers I may take it out... But I was wandering if MAGNAFLOW FAN BOY or someone else had any ideas about what problems or benefits this may have?

BTW - I drove over to my local tire/muffler shop. A slow Saturday for them. Drove straight onto the lift and ask if I could install my mufflers.
"Sure, help yourself" My son and I did all the work. No charge. I love small towns....

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
great idea

keeping the X may help both noise and power. It's a great idea. It gives the exhaust pulse two paths to escape, so it may be better at a certain rpm than separate pipes.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Hey Dirk, it's FreebirdSRT. The Zoomers system that is on my SRT utilizes/uses the oem X pipe for there systems. I don't see why you can't do the same for the Magna Flows.

See you in a few weeks my friend.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good move !!! The factory X-pipes are as good or better ( as I feel) than any after market pipes.I went Flo-Master dual chambers after the X- pipes and truly love it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is not nearly as loud as I thought it would be. I think the X pipe did help on the noise issue. I can hear a bit of exhaust noise at cruising speed, but only with the stereo off. It's not bad at all.

·
Registered
750 Posts
This seems like the right thread; to link to a post in a discussion Northern Rider, Myself and other were having about exhaust system design HERE

Feels like many many moons ago ............ in forum time.:)

Zilla

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
old trick

back in the sixties we often welded a pipe between the header collectors for a small boost in power. Seemed to make some setups quieter, too. I had a Pontiac street car with an elaborate aftermarket exhaust and we tried a crossover between the pipes right before the mufflers. That worked very well as the car was 25% quieter with no other mods. Picked up some midrange power that was very welcome on the street.

The larger the motors displacement, the better this should work.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I believe Richard mentioned that Magnaflow ditched the Tru-X for sound reasons. I wish they hadn't, as it really is a *good* idea to have especially if you are going with a cat back and the Kooks headers on your SRT-8...

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts