Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 12" blue LED light bar underneath my driver seat that plugs into my cigarette outlet. Its nice but I want to be able to wire it so that when my interior lights are on, the light bar also turns on. I am not sure if someone else has started a thread on this yet cuz I wasnt able to find one. If anyone knows how I can wire this that'd be nice.

This is similar to the light bar i have
ioffer.com/i/12v-blue-car-charger-interior-light-bar-le-lamp-led-144435663?source=eisi

·
Registered
297 Posts
you can cut the cord, use a multi meter and plug the cigarette lighter end in to the cigarette lighter and see which of the wires is positive. on the led end of the cut wires determine which of the two wires corisponds to the one you tested as positive. hook that wire to the yellow/white wire in the windsheild pillar on the drivers side. the other wire on the led is ground....put a ring terminal on it and screw it to the body.
FYI.... your seat moves, so make sure when routing the wires you route them in a manner that allows the seat to move in all directions

·
Registered
297 Posts
i take it that it worked out fine for you. nice job!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that looks real nice quiknen. I was looking at mine earlier today and im not exactly sure where the wires are. You said windsheild pillar on the driver side. Are u talking about the panel above the dashboard and steering wheel?

·
Registered
297 Posts
plastic cover going up the windshield

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. so i got the panels off and this is all i have. I also was messing witht eh kick plate on the door sill and I took that off and found a bundle of wires. Im not sure if those are the wires i should be looking for or what

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
ill pull mine tomorrow and look myself, ill post some pics of my findings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently took apart the other (passenger side) pillar to see what I could find. I found a a black/green wire, yellow/blue wire, and a yellow white wire. I believe that the yellow/white is the one im looking for. They are definitely the interior light wires because I can unplug the wires from the the outlet thing and the inside lights shut off. But im not exactly sure with regard to the wires. any suggestions

·
Registered
297 Posts
I recently took apart the other (passenger side) pillar to see what I could find. I found a a black/green wire, yellow/blue wire, and a yellow white wire. I believe that the yellow/white is the one im looking for. They are definitely the interior light wires because I can unplug the wires from the the outlet thing and the inside lights shut off. But im not exactly sure with regard to the wires. any suggestions
that should be them, i must have been confused with what side they were run....i do electrical on hundreds of cars every year, it get hard to remember.:pat:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. I have a 300 Base. I heard that the base has the wiring on the passenger side only. Where the 300C and up have the driver side too. But anyway, Im gonna try and work on that tomorrow. I just need to run some extra wire to the driver side. Any idea what gauge wire I need?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. Thanks. I was wondering, in the service manual the black/light green wire in the pillar is the ground wire. would I be able to just run a wire to that instead of attaching the ground wire to the frame.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pioneer, why do u say you wish you had used 20 or 22? Cuz im about to go buy some wire tomorrow.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice. Thanks. I was wondering, in the service manual the black/light green wire in the pillar is the ground wire. would I be able to just run a wire to that instead of attaching the ground wire to the frame.
Thats what I did

pioneer, why do u say you wish you had used 20 or 22? Cuz im about to go buy some wire tomorrow.
Just easier to connect the wires if they are close to the same size. And When I put lights in my map pocketsand door pulls ,the smaller wire would have fit through the boot into the doors easier. It all came out OK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn. Those Map Pocket lights look really nice. But im gonna give it a shot today. The light works fine when its connected to the wires in the pillar. I just need to run some extra wire behind the dash and down the door sill and I should be good. Here's what Im doing. From the Yellow/White Wire in the pillar. I am going to splice it so i have a 16 AWG wire for the light. Im running the 16AWG behind the dash, then Im putting a toggle switch under the steering wheel cover, then from the toggle, 16awg down the door frame, out from under the door sill, then to the light under the seat. Now one thing I wasnt exactly sure about. Can you go from 16awg to 22awg wire? Im going to twist the 16 and 22 wires so they wrap around eachother then put electrical tape around the exposed wire. But im not sure, is it a hazard to go from 16 to 22 directly?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You could also hook your wires into the power coming from the door so that when you open or unlock the doors the led lights will turn on

1 - 20 of 42 Posts