Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a quick question that will prob get a quick answer...

how much of a difference is there between installing one of the preset tunes // say 93cai tune, compared to getting a cmr custom tune done??

is this going to be worth it seeing it's going to cost the price of the predator over again??

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
betta

there is no way a canned preset tune can compare to a lovingly tweaked tune on a loaded up dyno.

CMR hands down. Probably worth tons o' HP.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
CMR tune will not benefit you at all unless you have cracked the motor and installed a cam, or changed the heads, etc..

the canned tune is designed for a mostly stock motor with CAI and or exhaust..

CMR tuning is designed for altered internals...

CMR tuning a stock motor is pointless and expensive and the gains will be equal to or less than the canned tunes.. seeing as the canned tunes are made for a stock motor..

·
Registered
903 Posts
A cmr tune is probably overkill for a stock motor, but having the canned tune custom tuned with the handheld adjustments on a dyno can be worth a lot. I picked up 40 rwhp over the canned 91 CAI tune (91 is the highest octane here in CA) by having the AFR adjustments changed on the dyno.

·
Registered
128 Posts
hmmm, i hear two schools of thought, one is that you do need a CMR tune to get it right, some people have said their cars performed worse with the canned tunes! Others have said they were able to pick up 40 HP just with a canned tune. It seems that the majority of people are happy with the canned tunes. We'll see, I just got my predator but haven't installed it yet. My [email protected] didn't buy the computer cable or power supply, so hunting those down now at Bestbuy. I'll see how the canned tune feels, if it is not what i think it should be, I'll take it down to a CMR tuner here in San Diego. The CMR tune runs $268 and takes 5 hrs or little more. I think $268 is worth a shot.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let us know what you find out. I plan on getting a diablo next. Just installed AFE stage 2 intake...easy install.

·
Registered
903 Posts
hmmm, i hear two schools of thought, one is that you do need a CMR tune to get it right, some people have said their cars performed worse with the canned tunes! Others have said they were able to pick up 40 HP just with a canned tune. It seems that the majority of people are happy with the canned tunes. We'll see, I just got my predator but haven't installed it yet. My [email protected] didn't buy the computer cable or power supply, so hunting those down now at Bestbuy. I'll see how the canned tune feels, if it is not what i think it should be, I'll take it down to a CMR tuner here in San Diego. The CMR tune runs $268 and takes 5 hrs or little more. I think $268 is worth a shot.:)
If you go to Fryes you can find the 12v universal power supply for $10 (it has 5-7 different size tube fittings) and the serial/serial cable for about $5. You can just use the serial/serial cable if you have a laptop and use your car to power up the programmer.

As for the dyno, I paid $125 for the guy to adjust the handheld adjustments only. He only had CMR for Frod and Chevy. My friend went first, it took him about an hour to figure out the range. My friend picked up 40 rwhp. I went second. Took about 3 pulls and maybe 30 minutes (letting the car cool between pulls) and another guy went third and also picked up 40 rwhp. He spent more time on my friend's car so he did the baseline, canned tune and then his tune. On my friend's car stock was around 365 rwhp, canned 91 cai tune was around 360 (he lost a few hp) and his final with adjustments were 404hp/405 tq. Here's my dyno sheet with his info (my friend had the magnaflow and cai--I just had a cai and the tuner even commented the magnaflow allowed more fuel and was good for the few extra hp). He's in Mission Viejo, so not too bad of a drive from San Diego.

I've never seen anyone else on any forum pick up this much hp consistantly with a cmr or handheld adjustment dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
CMR all the way, just ask yourself "how can a canned tune compare to a tune tweaked specifically for YOUR wheel?"...the answer is it cant, every car differs a little from the other. From my own experience the CMR tune wins hand down. The gains are worth what you pay for one. Just have to ask anyone who has gone from a canned tune to a CMR tune. The dyno figures speak for themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Yeah, I'd totally try to get tuned on a dyno, be it with handheld adjustments or the CMR software. The canned tune may or may not fit your car. I got tuned at the same shop as a friend with a Charger SRT8...the canned tune fit his car very well and the tuner was only able to squeeze out maybe another 5hp with the CMR software. My car on the other hand took a lot of adjustment to get it just right after starting with the canned tune. I ended up with 386 rwhp and have run 12.6 on different tracks with 1.9 60 foots on Toyo street tires!

Eric

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i will add as another satisfied CMR tune customer

·
Registered
158 Posts
CMR tune

Mr. Incredible:

I have to respectively disagree. While you may get MORE benefit with internal mods, this does not mean you will not get significant benefits with a stock engine.

A good tuner can and will pull more hp out of a stock engine than a canned Predator tune and even more with a CMR tune. I know, it happened to me. I saw the start and the finish and, on his dyno, I had an almost 10% increase(actually 0.97) in hp with the original Predator and the CMR tune. But way more important, to me anyway, is the drivability of the car now. Throttle response, trans performance, torque managment; all dramatically improved over stock and much better than the Predator tune I had done originally. And I like the understated look; no CAI, no supercharger, no nitrous bottle, just a stock engine that runs very well.

If I had it all to do over again, I would combine the Predator and the CMR together at the same time.

CMR tune will not benefit you at all unless you have cracked the motor and installed a cam, or changed the heads, etc..

the canned tune is designed for a mostly stock motor with CAI and or exhaust..

CMR tuning is designed for altered internals...

CMR tuning a stock motor is pointless and expensive and the gains will be equal to or less than the canned tunes.. seeing as the canned tunes are made for a stock motor..

·
Registered
36 Posts
more tuning question

What type of work is done exactly on the dyno for the SRT8 to get extra horsepower compared to a canned tune?

ERIC.G Where in Cincinnati did you get your tune for your car? I am about 2 hours from Cincinnati, and would travel to have my 300 properly tuned.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Power Ported Performance is in Cincinnati. Well across the river in Northern KY, we got tuned there.

Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
heyy could any one of u guys help me ii just got the predator tuner adn im in kuwait we dont have the cmr tune.. but we have dyno tuners ! wat do u guys advize me to do thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
New here to the forum, but does anyone know of a good tuner or shop located close to south east florida? Ideally as close to Broward County as possible? I'd like to get a CMR tune for the Predator. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
heyy could any one of u guys help me ii just got the predator tuner adn im in kuwait we dont have the cmr tune.. but we have dyno tuners ! wat do u guys advize me to do thanks
I did my tune with RDP through e-mails, and the result is fantastic...:scared:

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
only a fool

Mr. Incredible:
But way more important, to me anyway, is the drivability of the car now. Throttle response, trans performance, torque managment; all dramatically improved over stock and much better than the Predator tune I had done originally. And I like the understated look; no CAI, no supercharger, no nitrous bottle, just a stock engine that runs very well.

And it's a fool that under estimates a sharp running BONE STOCK SRT8 with proper tuning!

We've got old footage of stockers running a 12.5x in good air.

The Predator has allowed the knowledgeable to tune their cars to a significantly higher output with a marked performance increase.

Yay.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
You can call me old skool if you like, but I firmly believe in tuning a stock engine to the max, before even thinking about cams; bottles or blowers.

You learn a lot about your car in the process - as well as a lot about yourself and what is important to you - smoothness; durability; fuel efficiency; short burst power or sustained high speed driving.

And - you will most likely avoid the messy cost of a destroyed engine - something that happens too often by taking short cuts or not understanding what you are doing with the mods and tweaks.

As to canned tunes vs a CMR tune - I like to play with the chip programmers, but at the end of the day, nothing can beat a dyno measured tune done by an expert for your type of engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts