Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, OK, I know UConnect and Bluetooth have been covered extensively in previous threads, but my question is about installation.

I want to install the aftermarket UConnect kit in my 300c. After reviewing the forums and looking at the schematics, it's obvious that I'm missing some information. The instructions that came with my UConnect unit do not include specifics about the 300c, and does not mention a splice (as discussed in these forums).

Could some one who has done this, or has the information about the required splice, post it or send me an e-mail? I'm taking pictures of the process and will be creating a how-to guide when I'm finish.

BTW, I've already pulled the NAV system, the center console, A-pillar, etc. looking to see if it was possible to retro-fit the factory installed UConnect (possibly with the aftermarket item). Unfortunately, the wiring harness is not correct (I've had other cars where one wiring harness was use for all cars regardless of options). I do have all of the pinouts and schematics so it could be possible to wire something up, but that will have to wait until after I get this one installed. (eventually, I'm going to use the UConnect Mirror)

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Give Peiker Acustic a call, they will fax a couple of pages for the 300c. It is all about the wiring. I have not done the upgrade myself, I am waiting for a dealer installed quote. How long did it take to tear the dash apart?

Tasha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How to remove the A-pillar, Glove box, bezel and NAV

Thanks, I'll give them a call. I hope it's the number on the UConnect install materials - I can't seem to find the number on the Web.

Caution! Reader Discretion. Do not try this unless you can stand the sight of 300c in'nerds

I popped the passenger A-pillar off, by carefully (using a trim tool) prying from the top of the A-pillar. There's a spring right at the top and one right at the middle. I did this to check out the wiring to the top/middle of the headliner and verify rear view mirror wires. Unfortunately, if you don't have factory installed UConnect, the wiring harness is missing wires.

I removed the glove box (GB) to see if the UConnect connectors were available (per the service manual) and check for a place to put the UConnect module. To remove: open the GB, press hard on the sides (near the dash) to disengage the stops. At this point you can disengage the bottom of the GB by gently pushing up from the bottom. There's a cable on the right that needs to be detached from the GB, and then you can remove the GB. Though there is room for the UConnect Module, I'm thinking of placing it somewhere else because I don't think the wires for the mic, etc are long enough.

I removed the front bezel (FB) and Nav systen (REC) to check out the connectors for REC and where to "insert" the UConnect wiring harness. To remove: use a plastic trim tool (or the non-business end of a plastic spoon) to disengage the top of the bezel by gently prying between the bezel and the dash a bit off center from the top. Then pry on both sides about 1/3 third down from the top to disengage the side clips. Lastly, work gently on the botton to release the last two clips. Carefully, pull the bezel away from the dash (about 3 inches). Working from the top down: You'll need to disconnect some connectors before it will come off. First, disconnect the clock (top connector) (This was a PitA) Next, disconnect the hazards/airbag warning connector. Lastly, disconnect the two AC/Heater control connectors.

To remove the NAV system: There are 4 srcews that need to be remove to release the Nav system from the dash. IIRC, there are four connectors that need to be removed: 2 radio connectors, an antenna connector, and a GPS connector (I think).

Once I get the UConnect system working "sitting on the floor" (assuming I can get the splice info), I will post a detailed description and photo log of how to do it.

/cvv

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
sapien1 said:
I want to install the aftermarket UConnect kit in my 300c. After reviewing the forums and looking at the schematics, it's obvious that I'm missing some information. The instructions that came with my UConnect unit do not include specifics about the 300c, and does not mention a splice (as discussed in these forums).

Could some one who has done this, or has the information about the required splice, post it or send me an e-mail? I'm taking pictures of the process and will be creating a how-to guide when I'm finish.
The splice is to a power wire in the Bluetooth adapter harness. Since the powered speaker that comes with the Bluetooth kit requires lots of juice, the power feed from the radio head unit is not sufficient. So they have you tap into the cigarette lighter power source instead.

Here's the pertinent page from the installation manual:

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
sapien1 said:
I removed the glove box (GB) to see if the UConnect connectors were available (per the service manual) and check for a place to put the UConnect module. To remove: open the GB, press hard on the sides (near the dash) to disengage the stops. At this point you can disengage the bottom of the GB by gently pushing up from the bottom. There's a cable on the right that needs to be detached from the GB, and then you can remove the GB. Though there is room for the UConnect Module, I'm thinking of placing it somewhere else because I don't think the wires for the mic, etc are long enough.
You don't want to put the UConnect module there. It goes under the steering column. You need to pull the plastic trim panel off, then unbolt the metal plate. A couple of holdes are drilled into the metal plate to be used as mounting points for the Bluetooth module.

See:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Most of my exploration was determine how hard it would be to use the factory UConnect mirror, and possibly retro fit the factory modules. I called Peiker today and they were nice enough to fax me the two pages you included. The nice people at UConnect tech support transfered me to them.

Did the above instructions come with your kit? I've notice there are two product # for the aftermarket UConnect: one that ends in AC (mine) and another that ends in AD.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have two questions:

1) How did you get the mirror with the Uconnect in it?

2) Did they say that the mirror would work with UConnect?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where does anyone get things these days? Ebay!!

Seriously, I bought my UConnect aftermarket off Ebay (<$200!). Last November, there was someone selling two UConnect/Auto-Dim mirrors on eBay, but I missed them (they went for less than $25) I'm keeping my eyes open and will also ask the dealer.

As for the 2nd question:
From what I can tell, it is impossible to buy an aftermarket UConnect install it and then hook up the Factory mirror and have it work "out of the box". There are wiring harnesses missing (among many other issues)

However, that's exactly what I going to try to do. I have the schematics and pin-out for the relevant connectors, and will try to get it to work by build wiring harnesses. I'm keeping a photo-log of my efforts and will make it availble when complete.

My first step is to get the aftermarket UConnect installed (this weekend), next acquire a mirror, and then build the required wiring harnesses.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
sapien1 said:
Did the above instructions come with your kit? I've notice there are two product # for the aftermarket UConnect: one that ends in AC (mine) and another that ends in AD.
These instructions did come with my kit. Part number on the invoice was 82207853-AC Hands Free 1087108. (Perhaps the second number is the serial number?) List price was $300 and my local dealer charged me $250.

I'll be interested to follow your progress on retrofitting the "real" UConnect with the factory mirror. But in the meantime, the kit works very well. It would be nice to have incoming callerID appear on the dash and the NAV display, though. Does the factory set-up also display incoming email and SMS? The Bluetooth on my 2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the dealer installed UConnect and have a couple of questions. First, does it run thrut he EVIC? I looked for adjustments in there but found nothing that said phone. Secondly, are there any adjustments to the mic volume? I wish I could get it a bit higher. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On the topic of installation, how hard would it be to splice the uconnect speaker directly into the stereo speakers instead of using the external speaker.

Add to that a question as far as clarity etc from the external speaker, I mean does it sound like a oversaturated speaker phone or does it sound decent.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
dreadful said:
Add to that a question as far as clarity etc from the external speaker, I mean does it sound like a oversaturated speaker phone or does it sound decent.
The speaker, which is hidden under the driver's side lower dash panel, is quite heavy and is not some cheesy little speaker that one might expect for the low price of the UConnect kit. As a result, the sound is far clearer than I had hoped for during the installation. Given the location, I was sure the sound would be weak and muddy. But that turned out not to be the case.

On the other hand, the Bluetooth system in my BMW uses the stereo speakers and the audio quality is better than the Chrysler add-on UConnect.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, thats exactly what I expected muddled just over amplified voice I guess I will just need to test it out and see. A family member of mine has an s55 and it has the cell integrated with the speakers and it sounds good but is loud as hell :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
dreadful said:
Thanks, thats exactly what I expected muddled just over amplified voice I guess I will just need to test it out and see. A family member of mine has an s55 and it has the cell integrated with the speakers and it sounds good but is loud as hell :)
I agree that the sound is very good with the after market u-connect. I have never seen it in any other car so can't comment on them. If this unit could be wired into the speaker system I can't see why you could not turn down the volume either from the u-connect controller or through the radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

The way I see it here in the net, Is that the Uconnect system available at Dc now is a kit for early Cars.

They are going to release a Mirror Kit some time now.

If you look at the jeep site they mention of an Uconnect upgrade for cars with DVD Navigation etc.

UConnecttm, Chrysler Group's in-vehicle, hands-free, voice-activated communications system, debuted in the fall of 2002 as a Mopar accessory, dealer-installed option for the 2003 Grand Cherokee and other selected Chrysler vehicles. The system features the Bluetoothtm global standard technology, which links your cellular phone with UConnect without wires or a docking station. Starting with 2005 models, the system can be integrated into the optional Navigation radio.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
minichris said:
Hi

The way I see it here in the net, Is that the Uconnect system available at Dc now is a kit for early Cars.

They are going to release a Mirror Kit some time now.

If you look at the jeep site they mention of an Uconnect upgrade for cars with DVD Navigation etc.

UConnecttm, Chrysler Group's in-vehicle, hands-free, voice-activated communications system, debuted in the fall of 2002 as a Mopar accessory, dealer-installed option for the 2003 Grand Cherokee and other selected Chrysler vehicles. The system features the Bluetoothtm global standard technology, which links your cellular phone with UConnect without wires or a docking station. Starting with 2005 models, the system can be integrated into the optional Navigation radio.

Chris
I'm not sure that means they'll be releasing an aftermarket for an Integrated UCOnnect solution, e.g. Rearview mirror and Nav system integration. It just sounds they'll be offer the factory on all cars. (I sure hope I'm wrong). I installed the UConnect system in my CCCC, and I want to use the mirror. Any one want to sell me a UConnect mirror?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well from what I have seen on the trademotion parts site the mirror with uconnect is available for around 120... no part number listed and also no accessories listed as to whats needed for wiring etc. Hopefully once someone gets a service manual it may show better results on this.

·
Registered
203 Posts
sapien1 said:
From what I can tell, it is impossible to buy an aftermarket UConnect install it and then hook up the Factory mirror and have it work "out of the box". There are wiring harnesses missing (among many other issues)

However, that's exactly what I going to try to do. I have the schematics and pin-out for the relevant connectors, and will try to get it to work by build wiring harnesses. I'm keeping a photo-log of my efforts and will make it availble when complete.

My first step is to get the aftermarket UConnect installed (this weekend), next acquire a mirror, and then build the required wiring harnesses.
I have the aftermarket Uconnect, which I'm going to sell. I've installed the factory mirror and mirror harness, have the telematics module on order (expect it in today, if the gods are smiling on me) and I will be building a wiring harness that plugs in to enable it with the radio and mirror.

The problem with trying to integrate the aftermarket one in with the factory mirror, is the mirror is missing needed controls for it. (like volume)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the "Factory Original" Uconnect installed into my 06 Ram 1500 SRT10. Purchased from the Mopar Super Center. Had it install at the Dealer and it works Perfectly. All functions available, sound is piped through stereo system. Complete system available, with Uconnect Rear View Mirror, wiring harness and Uconnect module. Great Kit, much better than the after market, and it looks just like it was installed from the factory.

Needless to say I highly recommend it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts