Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys I need some knowledge here.... I took my TB off the other day and cleaned it... really easy... 15 minutes... I looked inside the intake manifold and the gunk build up is excessive... So I'm gonna pull it and clean it. I went to the dealership and the guy said there is 8 gaskets... They wanted $11 and some change each! Before I even said anything, the guy told me he would give me a wholesaler deal... He offered $6.50 or so and I bought them... nice guy threw in a TB gasket and some ATF-RTV silicone sealer for free... I was amazed :biggrin: .... Now I am wondering If I need to remove the fuel injectors and if there is anything a little more complicated that I should be aware of... I have searched on the boards and havent found any details and was wondering if anyone could supply some wisdom.

Also... Can I use the TB cleaner on the inside of the intake manifold? If not what should i use?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I don't recall anyone on any of the LX forums pulling the manifold off to clean.

I looked in the Service Manual and here are the instructions.
Instructions make it look complicated.

REMOVAL
1. Remove engine cover.
2. Bleed fuel system (Refer to 14 - FUEL SYSTEM/FUEL DELIVERY -STANDARD PROCEDURE).
3. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
4. Remove air inlet hose.
5. Remove ignition wires from on top of intake manifold.
6. Disconnect electrical connectors for the following components:
- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
- Fuel Injectors
- ETC ( Electric Throttle Control )
7. Remove wire harness from intake manifold.
8. Disconnect brake booster hose, purge hose, and MUA hose ( Make Up Air Hose ).
9. Remove EGR tube from intake manifold.
10. Remove intake manifold retaining fasteners in a crisscross pattern starting from the outside bolts and ending at the middle bolts.
11. Remove intake manifold as an assembly.

CLEANING
Note: There is NO approved repair procedure for the intake manifold. If severe damage is found during inspection, the intake manifold must be replaced. Before installing the intake manifold thoroughly clean the mating surfaces. Use a suitable cleaning solvent, then air dry.

INSPECTION
1. Inspect the intake sealing surface for cracks, nicks and distortion.
2. Inspect the intake manifold vacuum hose fittings for looseness or blockage.

INSTALLATION
1. Position intake manifold.
2. Install intake manifold retaining bolts, and tighten in sequence from the middle bolts towards the outside in a crisscross pattern. Torque fasteners to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.).
3. Install EGR tube.
4. Install wire harness on intake manifold.
5. Connect electrical connectors for the following components:
- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
- Fuel Injectors
- ETC ( Electronic Throttle Control )
6. Install ignition wires.
7. Connect Brake booster hose, purge hose, and MUA hose ( Make Up Air hose ).
8. Install air inlet hose.
9. Connect negative cable to battery.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I talked to one of the techs up at the local Royal Gate Dodge dealership. It is recommended that the bolts are not reused but he stated they always reuse them so I figured at $11 bucks a pop I would reuse mine lol. He also told me not to worry about bleeding the fuel line... There was a little drip once i disconnected the fuel line.... nothing a small shop towel didnt catch. My intake manifold was filthy... I feel tons better having cleaned it... There was a lot of build up and gunk and I am glad to keep all that out of my engine... I also went ahead and cut back the copper tube that pokes out infront of the inlet... I assume its for a smog device... But it was right in the way of airflow so it got a trim lol.... overall pretty easy... only complication was when a buddy that was lending me a hand broke the check valve for the brake booster vacuum line... lol... Dealership was closed but luckily O'reilys had a universal piece on hand that fit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For what it's worth this was a pratice that was explored on the Northstar engines a few times back on the cadillac forums. When everyone saw the difference a clean TB made, the manifolds were next in question. Many people popped them off and cleaned them and saw NO results - positive or negative.

Granted, the Northstar and the Hemi are 2 difference engines. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
well

as long as you have an EGR and PCV operating the manifold is going to get really gunked up.

Nothing a little 'Italian Tune Up' can't fix.

I'd rather clean the TB occasionally.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know this is an old thread but im looking to clean my intake manifold as well it's pretty gunked up also. Is it safe to pull it and clean it or just buying some sea-foam would do the trick? Not really sure which route to take but ordered a oil catch can to help keep it clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts