Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an engineer, I love juicy data.
Curiosity about CAI's prompted me to collect data on my stock system and compare.
With my DROID I can monitor the intake air temp while driving. With the stock system, drop in K&N, 90° ambient, I was seeing about 95° air temp. It's quite consistent 5° above ambient while moving. At a light I see 115 to 120f.
Now I get creative.
I removed the air silencer. With the stock filter box in place, it takes air from the engine compartment, just as a "cold air intake" would. Now the intake temp is around 30° over ambient while in motion. Call me crazy, but I think you know where I'm going with this. Added flow intake maybe, but not cold.
I then proceeded to add my own cheap cold air tube. Just some 4" dryer hose routed from the stock box, to the bumper louver. I think this has been outlined before. I have yet to drive it and get my data desert. I'll update tomorrow with numbers.

Any idiot can build it strong, it's an engineers job to build it light.

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's a great way to get fresh, cooler air. Just be aware of deeper water, as you will be more susceptible to water being sucked into the filter, and possibly beyond.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great way to get fresh, cooler air. Just be aware of deeper water, as you will be more susceptible to water being sucked into the filter, and possibly beyond.
That's a thought. However, there is a gap between the air box and the hose. I think as long as I'm not flooring it through puddles I'm fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Subscribing...

I want to see the results. Very interested, and very much agreed on the idea.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I got out today.
It seems the factory system is very efficient. With my hose setup, I am running about 2 to 5° above ambient. That's in motion with some throttle. If I cruise slow or stop at a light, the temp shoots up quite a bit.
I'm thinking about closing the gap between the air box and the hose. Maybe with some foam, to see what effect that has.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adding to my findings....
I have seen my mileage increase from 15.2 to 15.9.
My recent mod is the only thing I can attribute to that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
so all of those people that getting that silencer out are making more harm that good than a?
I was thinking to get that silencer out and cut the baffles on it and put it back on.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so all of those people that getting that silencer out are making more harm that good than a?
I was thinking to get that silencer out and cut the baffles on it and put it back on.....
Absolutely. If all you do is remove the silencer, you're just making a hot box.
I think the mod I've done is successful in that its a cai. And that's not subjective, I let the numbers tell me if I'm on the right track.
I don't think the silencer is restrictive at all. And it doubles as a barrier for water. In the search for sound, a store bought cai will increase the air temp.
So this mod is what I came up with. Good luck with your mods, and collect that data!

·
Registered
122 Posts
As an engineer, I love juicy data.
Curiosity about CAI's prompted me to collect data on my stock system and compare.
With my DROID I can monitor the intake air temp while driving. With the stock system, drop in K&N, 90° ambient, I was seeing about 95° air temp. It's quite consistent 5° above ambient while moving. At a light I see 115 to 120f.
Now I get creative.
I removed the air silencer. With the stock filter box in place, it takes air from the engine compartment, just as a "cold air intake" would. Now the intake temp is around 30° over ambient while in motion. Call me crazy, but I think you know where I'm going with this. Added flow intake maybe, but not cold.
I then proceeded to add my own cheap cold air tube. Just some 4" dryer hose routed from the stock box, to the bumper louver. I think this has been outlined before. I have yet to drive it and get my data desert. I'll update tomorrow with numbers.

Funky, ive already modified a TRUE CAI and made a video if you want to check it out. This is my K&N Typhoon CAI that I modified..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funky, ive already modified a TRUE CAI and made a video if you want to check it out. This is my K&N Typhoon CAI that I modified.. 300C SRT8 custom TRUE cold air intake! - YouTube
Good post, sounds like you got a cold or something there.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't they make them like this? Seems silly that you have to modify a cai to make it a cai.
I'm thinking about wrapping the intake tubes with some insulation. The gain would be minimal, but to keep that temp down at the lights would be cool. Ha, cool.
Its funny to watch the temp raise quickly when stopped and snap back down upon takeoff.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There are companies that make "true" cai's. K&N has one, Volant, I think even LMI...more expensive, and you don't get to see the filter, which some may think adds to the "cool" factor. And there's that sucking water thing....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good post, sounds like you got a cold or something there.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't they make them like this? Seems silly that you have to modify a cai to make it a cai.
I'm thinking about wrapping the intake tubes with some insulation. The gain would be minimal, but to keep that temp down at the lights would be cool. Ha, cool.
Its funny to watch the temp raise quickly when stopped and snap back down upon takeoff.

Yea im with you, but if your mechanically inclined and have access to a lift (which makes the job a whole lot easier) for a few bucks you can modify and get it o be a "cool" as mine! :D As for wrapping the intake tube, i've heard that powder coating the tube keeps the temps WAY low. Add to that that theres some PRETTY cool colors these days with metallic and such and it doesnt seem like such a bad idea..

There are companies that make "true" cai's. K&N has one, Volant, I think even LMI...more expensive, and you don't get to see the filter, which some may think adds to the "cool" factor. And there's that sucking water thing....
Thats the biggest question i get from EVERYBODY. I've had this intake for 4 months already and have driven in the POURING rain (summer months in florida rains every day) and NEVER had any problems. Just dont go driving into a freaking lake and you should be ok:tongue:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea im with you, but if your mechanically inclined and have access to a lift (which makes the job a whole lot easier) for a few bucks you can modify and get it o be a "cool" as mine! :D As for wrapping the intake tube, i've heard that powder coating the tube keeps the temps WAY low. Add to that that theres some PRETTY cool colors these days with metallic and such and it doesnt seem like such a bad idea..

Thats the biggest question i get from EVERYBODY. I've had this intake for 4 months already and have driven in the POURING rain (summer months in florida rains every day) and NEVER had any problems. Just dont go driving into a freaking lake and you should be ok:tongue:
It seems like people like to do the mods just so the car looks modded. As long as it looks cool, it must be better.
Maybe there are gains with a cai. To me all that stuff does is rearrange your power curve. Which give the illusion of gain.
But it's in the blood. I'll do some mufflers when I can, might as well hear that $4 a gallon burning.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seems like people like to do the mods just so the car looks modded. As long as it looks cool, it must be better.
Maybe there are gains with a cai. To me all that stuff does is rearrange your power curve. Which give the illusion of gain.
But it's in the blood. I'll do some mufflers when I can, might as well hear that $4 a gallon burning.

Well i just got my car Dyno'd on a Mustang Dynamometer, which happens to be known as one of the most accurate Dyno's available and i put down to the rear wheels 378hp and 386Tq. And this was while the shops temp. was at 103 degrees. Also note that with these numbers, you could probably add 20 to each if on any other Dyno as these Mustang Dyno's are proven to be stingy and measure lower than others.. That CAI i have must be doing something right, especially when your going 60 MPH and its basically forcing the cool air into the filter..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts