Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Intermittent ETC (red lightning bolt) light

17K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AB77 
#1 ·
2007 Chrysler 300C Diesel - 117k miles on clock

My ETC light came on and the car went into limp mode. After leaving the car for about 30 mins I started the car and the light had gone out and was no longer in limp mode.

Drove the car again today, the same thing happened again. Left the car for about 30 mins and all was fine again.

The Last Chime on the hidden menu showed 'ETC' (see attached).

I have ordered a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 scanner to try and get some codes.

The only connection I can think of between the 2 situations is that on both occasions the light came on after about 30 mins of driving/approx 20 miles.

Note: 12 months ago I added the swirl emulator due to the swirl motor failure and have had no problems with the ETC light or performance since.

Am I able to conclude anything from the above or will I have to wait until the scanner arrives? Just a little uncertain as to whether I should use the car in the mean time.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
ETC is just another term for what we call Limp Mode and is signified by the red thunder bolt warning symbol and (usually) reduced power. Electronic Throttle Control is triggered when the car is upset by a component or operational fault which should show itself as a DTC error code most of which can be read by common garden readers. hopefully when you do a read it'll give pointers as to the specific problem that is triggering the ETC / Limp Mode.

#4 ·
Thanks Tim and Feichter for your help and suggestions.

I took the car for another drive yesterday morning (about 30 miles). The red lightning bolt light did not come on the car was running fine.

The bluetooth ODB2 scanner arrived in the afternoon and I have connected it successfully, however it says that there are no pending fault codes and no historic fault codes. The reader seems to be working fine as I can see lots of other interesting information being picked up on the various displays.

Should the red lightning bolt light always trigger a fault code or are there circumstances where it would not trigger a fault code?

I guess the only way to be sure is to take the car to a garage and have them scan using a more sophisticated scanner.

Note for the Custom300c shop: You helped me diagnose the swirl motor failure last year which I fixed with your swirl emulator......I will always be very grateful for your help with that, thank you, the car has been great since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.