Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noticed a weird problem this morning. The park assist lights kept coming on intermittently and at the same time the airbag light illuminated and the speedo started to flick round clockwise. If the radio was on it would turn off the sound. The problem disappeared after a few miles but then came back after stopping and re-starting. The car runs fine despite this but it's a bit worrying!

The clip below shows the identical problem occurring on another car. In fact it is from another thread on this forum. The only answer on there was change the battery. I monitored the battery voltage through the EVIC while driving and didn't notice it dropping off.

Seems to me like a module is re-setting itself? I've also tried re-seating fuses but anyone got any other suggestions?

Feeling like the car is conspiring against me at the moment. Scratched the passenger side on a road works sign yesterday and just getting ready for major suspension overhaul at the weekend. Bloody ungrateful beast!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had that happen on my 2003 dodge truck.
After 3 trips to the dealership it was a speed sensor located on top of the rear
Axles. Everytime it rained they would fill with water and short the speed sensors.
This used scare the heck out of my wife.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Yes appears like a Canbus communication/module problem.
The Headlamp Translation module has given all sorts of strange symptoms in the past on some cars electrical equipment.
Its easy to get to, easy to unplug and does NOT cause any problems when unplugged (You will just loose error code reporting for headlights). If it were mine It would as the very first job. Just unplug the module and see if it cures it.

Then try running with the ABS fuses removed (Think theres 2 to remove to dissarm)

Alternatively if the above doesn't sort it: There will probably be some communication or other error codes stored if you have a code reader.

Alternatively if you cant read any error codes. Unplug every fuse for non essential equipment (This will take a bit of sorting out to make sure you don't unplug fuses for part of the engine control system)
Run the car and it will possibly cure the symptoms. Then over the next few days put fuses in one at a time (Running the car for enough time to see if the fault re-appears). You will hopefully find out which group of components are causing the problems.

Problem is the above method will only work if the symptoms are there all time while running with everything fused up.

If pulling fuses for all non-essential equipment doesn't remove the symptoms, you have a problem with the essential stuff which can only be eliminated a bit at a time.

I think theres 2 places you can see the battery voltage on the EVIC. Make sure you select the most sensitive display or use a seperate voltmeter to make sure its stable.
Jack

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
....and I'd comment that Satan's representatives on earth seem to be the TPMS sensors in the front wheel arches....they have an annoying knack of affecting every other system on the car + they hate water, so give them a once over with WD40

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I have plenty to go at then Jack!

So far I have re-seated all the fuses, symptom didn't reappear on a short test run but it's 50 miles home this evening so we will see.

I have a friend who may be able to read the codes for me (presuming he has the right gizmo/leads)

The only other clues that I didn't mention earlier are:

1: At one point the EVIC displayed: "Service park assist system"
2: When it was blipping out the dash dimmed sometimes as if the headlights were going on and off.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I have plenty to go at then Jack!

So far I have re-seated all the fuses, symptom didn't reappear on a short test run but it's 50 miles home this evening so we will see.

I have a friend who may be able to read the codes for me (presuming he has the right gizmo/leads)

The only other clues that I didn't mention earlier are:

1: At one point the EVIC displayed: "Service park assist system"
2: When it was blipping out the dash dimmed sometimes as if the headlights were going on and off.

Yep, plenty to go at. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Looks as though its still intermittent, makes it sooooo much more difficult.
Definitely worth keeping the EVIC on the most sensitive battery voltage display while your running.

There have been cases of fuse holders burning. Worth a "smell" around, or a look underneath the fuse boxes.

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Its a long shot and worth a try. Try unplugging to see if things improve, it may throw up a solid code though. Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost dare not say it but.......

It seems to be OK now. I went through both fuse boxes and re-seated all the fuses and circuit breakers and the symptoms have not re-appeared.

Thanks again for the replies and at least I've learnt a little bit more about the car we all love to hate (or is it hate to love!)

Ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ben, I know this thread is years old now, but did you ever get to the bottom of this problem?
I have exactly the same problem with my 2009 model, and on an internet search your discussion seems to be the only reference to it now. Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Had that on my old SRT Design. I suspected earth problems but never did find the answer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts