Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for about 500 miles now. The other day I started to notice an intermittent rattle or knocking sound when I go over certain bumps. It only happens sometimes, and it's always over a bump, but not with all bumps. The sound seems to come from the rear passenger side of the car. It sounds like it could be coming from the rear deck or the rear seat. It's difficult to tell exactly where its coming from. I tried sitting in the back seat while someone else drove the car and I still couldn't figure it out! Does anyone else have the same problem, and did you figure it out? Thanks!

matts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
rattel

Take it in to the dealer. I had a rattle from the left rear. it ended up that a bolt had striped when it was made and they just taked it up. If u get on the ground and feel in front of the rear wheel just inside of the back of the well u might find it. I'm not saying thats ur problem but the simptoms u discribe sound just like mine. I even laid in the back seat/ trunk while my wife drove me around.

Eric
DLR

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scarbrs said:
Take it in to the dealer. I had a rattle from the left rear. it ended up that a bolt had striped when it was made and they just taked it up. If u get on the ground and feel in front of the rear wheel just inside of the back of the well u might find it. I'm not saying thats ur problem but the simptoms u discribe sound just like mine. I even laid in the back seat/ trunk while my wife drove me around.

Eric
DLR
Thanks for the tip! BTW, did you just say that you laid in the trunk while your wife drove you around!? :eek:

matts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
matts said:
Thanks for the tip! BTW, did you just say that you laid in the trunk while your wife drove you around!? :eek:

matts

HAha sound funny doesnt it. I mean i folded down the seats. It is a huge trunk. :D

Eric
DLR

·
Registered
331 Posts
Have the same noise at times and was convinced it comes from the back. But after much checking realized it comes from the sun roof. When I vent the sun roof the noise goes away. Thought I fixed it recently but it came back. Dealer of course says all is normal and they do not hear it. Check to see if it goes away when the sun roof is vented or open (if you have one).

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I don't have a sunroof, so that can't be the problem.

BTW, I checked the wheel well and I couldn't find any loose bolts or anything like that. Do you have any more details on where I should look? I'd rather not take it in to the dealer and run the risk of them screwing something up. Thanks!

matts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Under the parcel tray in the back of the car (or on top of the trunk, whichever way you care to look at it), there is a large plastic tray. It is only held on with six (or eight?) trim doo-hickeys. It rattles in my car. My fix (forthcoming when I get the time) is to remove the piece and use foam strip tape (hatch seal for those of you boaters) around the perimiter, then re-install the piece. This will keep the plastic from hitting/vibrating against the metal structure, and eliminate the problem...hopefully. Hope that helps Matt.
-Bill

·
Registered
159 Posts
Lwood-did you fix the plastic piece under the rear deck (inside the trunk) cause I have the same problem. I think it vibrates too from the stereo bass. Please share the details. This rattle is really annoying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started to get the rattle about two weeks ago but I suspect that it is the tire jack. I installed wheels locks and used the tire jack. I might have not secured it back properly. I will eventually get around to have a look back there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Kcrnmale, not yet. I am resotring a house right now and it was good enough for my wife to let me spend money on buying the car and defering her new kitchen. (wife of the year papers are in the mail). So I simply haven't had the time, and now its cold outside. But it will be the first thing I do in the spring.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Scarbrs - a plumber that worked on my house described the trunk as a "New Jersey box". He was from New Jersey and said it could hold the bodies of 2-6 foot mooks. :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is a Factory Fix to place two strips of insulation between the sheetmetal and the the rear deck cover. The dealer buggered up my rear window trim molding when they did my fix today. They seem to break more than they fix. I'm not tryiny to be ugly, but they screw something up every time.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Any chance you could find a specific # for this fix on your paperwork? This noise is driving me insane and I'd like to have as much ammo as possible when going in for a fix so they don't look at me like I'm nuts. It's like the first post, random but when going over some bumps (and not others!?!) I don't notice it with bass, but that's probably because the bass is louder than the rattle at this point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry I don't have the # for the fix (like weather stripping placed between the rear deck panels) . I had the Right rear shock go bad. Also had the right rear inner wheel liner replaced, because it was rattling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts