Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I have a few questions on my sound system for the experienced 300C veterans around here. I just picked up a bone stock '05 300C with the Sound Group II AM/FM/6 MP3CD/380 watt amp system. I am trying to figure out how many speakers do i have, and is it worth upgrading to a Nav unit, even if i don't care about the Nav functions? Is the sound better with the Nav system, or is some aftermarket head unit a better way to go. I want to keep the amp and speakers for now, so I would only look for a plug and play replacement. The Nav capabilities are cool, but not necessary for me. I am more interested in sound capacity.
Thanks...

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
The BA7 (7 speakers)system is great. A lot of people unplug the centre channel though (not me). The base system was the BA6. I have it too, but in 2006 they went to the Kicker system. Lot's of complaints of poor bass and having to crack the back seat to hear it, oh and reversing the sub wires.

For an OEM system it's very good, but of course the sky's the limit in the aftermarket world. Your best bet is to sit in it and judge for yourself. I'm no audiophile, but like I said it's a great system IMO.

Bernie

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just upgraded the BA6 276-watt NAV/UConnect system in my 2007 300C. Although I felt the sound was better than most OEM systems, I thought the overall sound was dull/flat. I kept the head unit/UConnect, but installed a JL Audio CleanSweep and then changed out all speakers and added amp/sub. There is no comparison as to the sound of the newer system.

BUT (big but here), satisfaction is balanced with economics. I technically could have been satisfied with the BA6 (and I assume the BA7 sounds even better as an OEM), but I just had to have better sound (cost me upwards of $2,000 to get it, and that included me already having an $850 amp - JL Audio 500/5) that I added.

I have NEVER heard of a stock system sounding even as good as aftermarket stuff in any car I've ever driven in. The BA6 speakers are fair/poor compared to decent aftermarket ones (just take a look at them if you pull them out) in sound and craftmanship.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I would second everything MetalMan said. I believe the BA systems
in the LX platform to be above average when it comes to sound quality.

However, that being said, there are some limitations to the system
when it comes to flexibility.

The unfortunate thing is that it can be pricey to upgrade the system
and that's where you'd have to take a long listen, and decide whether
you think an upgrade is required.

If you do decide to upgrade, this forum has done pretty much all of
the research necessary to make things happen.

I had to upgrade because I could not find an appropriate way to
adjust the midbass levels in the front doors to bring them more inline
with the rest of the system. Plus, the speakers did not seem to
have the frequency extension to actually play what the source unit
was capable of playing.

But I would still say it is up to your personal preferences

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, the door speakers seem to be all bass. would it make a difference just upgrading the system's speakers, either some or all? I just got rid of a 1998 Eldorado that i drove for 5 years, and i liked the stock sound that it had. The 300C doesn't seem to be as rich...

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah, the door speakers seem to be all bass. would it make a difference just upgrading the system's speakers, either some or all? I just got rid of a 1998 Eldorado that i drove for 5 years, and i liked the stock sound that it had. The 300C doesn't seem to be as rich...
Although speakers would make somewhat of a difference, the bigger issue is the preset EQ in the factory amp. I don't believe there is any way to fix that short of doing something like I did, adding a "cleaner" after the OEM amp to level out the sound and then get an aftermarket amp to push the clean sound to any new speakers you decide to get.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upgrade

Also i am going to get a wood dash kit soon, so i have to decide if i am going to change out the radio to put in a navi system, because the wood kit is different. Are there any aftermarket AM/FM/MP3CD systems that are just a "plug and play" replacement for the stock radio, and will punch out better sound with the rest of my stock components? if so, i will just get the wood kit with the bigger opening, and then look for radios.
Any comments...

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Also i am going to get a wood dash kit soon, so i have to decide if i am going to change out the radio to put in a navi system, because the wood kit is different. Are there any aftermarket AM/FM/MP3CD systems that are just a "plug and play" replacement for the stock radio, and will punch out better sound with the rest of my stock components? if so, i will just get the wood kit with the bigger opening, and then look for radios.
Any comments...
The answer is a possibly not. If you go "plug and play" with the radio,
and it's possible, but will cost you for the steering and can-bus adapters,
you will still have the EQ curve of the stock amp to deal with.

The problem is not the radio, it's the programming of the amp. You'd
be better of getting an OEM NAV unit, then upgrading the rest of
the system with aftermarket.

The other side of the argument is, if you did go aftermarket on the
radio, then you should continue and replace the other parts as necessary.

Here are your options as I see them:

Option 1: Keep OEM radio or upgrade to a OEM NAV radio

1a) OEM non-NAV unit, bypass the amp altogether and
get aftermarket amps and speakers

1b) OEM NAV unit, keep stock amp, but add a processor
such as the RF 3sixty, JL cleansweep, Alpine, etc, which will
correct the EQ curve and give you a clean full range signal with
which to add aftermarket amps and speakers

Option 2: New radio and related adapters for steering and can-bus
I would suggest bypassing the stock amp and adding the appropriate
amps and speakers per your listening preferences.

Basically, those are my suggestions. I'm sure others can give you input about the processors, and what worked for them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plan B

OK thanks for the info. After seeing that excellent step by step walk through on getting to the read speakers, at this point it looks like i will be replacing the rear speakers and probably adding an amp in the trunk. i am not looking for booming bass to vibrate the whole car, just some setup that will get it louder and still clear sounding. i am looking for suggestions on makes/models of speakers and amps for the rear that you guys have experience with that sound decent with the SG II non-nav head unit. i will keep the amp up front for now, and will just be working the back. Besides the speakers and amp, what electronics do i need to get it working from up front (i need to keep the steering wheel controls, etc..) , Thanks for all your help and any ideas/recommendations/advise is much appreciated. I have been reading this entire forum site all weekend like a [email protected] crackhead and have to go to bed now.. Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Joe,
I believe if you add an amp after the OEM amp without a unit such as the Clean Sweep, you will just be amplifying the less than stellar EQ the OEM amp puts out.

I can still use all of my controls (steering wheel included). My only question is, depending on how you listen to music, why swap out the rear speakers before the fronts? I think the fronts are way more important. When you go to a concert the soundstage is in front of you. A good set of components in the front will sound much better than any replacement 6x9's in the rear, plus, the sound will not come from behind you. Well, that's my opinion anyways.

Personally I've had good luck with JL Audio amps. I have the 500/5 in my car and the 300/4 in my wifes PT Cruiser. From my experience, I now have JL Audio speakers in the 300C, but in previous cars I had real nice Boston Acoustics ones. I think your best bet is to research various speaker manufacturers to get a feel for how they describe their sound. Some say they have a warm sound, others punchy, etc. I think most of the better brands will sound good, it just depends how much tweaking you want to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts