Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tie rods have been broken for over a month now, i just keep putting off the repair cause i hate to be without my car for a whole day, but is it dangerous to be driving on this broken tie rod? and can it potentialy wear out other parts of my suspension?

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
my tie rods have been broken for over a month now, i just keep putting off the repair cause i hate to be without my car for a whole day, but is it dangerous to be driving on this broken tie rod? and can it potentialy wear out other parts of my suspension?
When your wheel falls off or you endanger the life of yourself, passengers and innocent others you'll then realize just how dangerous it is. Get it fixed man before you live to regret it or die by procrastination. At the very least you'll probably need new tires by now.

Bernie

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
inner and outer on both sides is broken, apparently thats what the guy at active green ross told me when i last changed my oil, both my tierods were replaced by my dealer just last december so i still got warranty on it

·
Registered
553 Posts
Did they say that your tie rod boots were broken? That's the only thing I can think of that it could be. If just one tie rod was broken (let alone inner and outer on both sides), you would have no steering control of the car.

If it is the boots that are broken, it isn't immmediately dangerous, but over time, grit will wear into the joint and it will fail and you will lose steering.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
If a tie rod end is broken you cannot steer your car at all. So it is not broken, it may however be worn.

The question is "how" worn? Only the person who inspected it can answer that, or you can get under there yourself and feel how much play there is. If there is just a little play it's probably not dangerous -- but again that's hard to tell over the internet.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Wake up, when it falls off and you lose control and kill yourself or someone else, a couple hours of not having the car won't be too important will it.:twak:

·
Registered
491 Posts

Deerrrr, what do you think?:pat:

·
Registered
113 Posts
You never know when a tie rod break. The only thing you know is if your at low speed your lucky cause your still be alive. But if it break at over 40 , your wheel will surely be ripe off from your car and I just whish I'm not near you when it happend:thumbsdow .

·
Registered
605 Posts
This has to be a joke. I don't know about any of you guys buy if anything whatsoever sounds different or acts different in my car it is immediately at the dealer to be looked at and fixed if necessary. I can't imagine prolonging anything that needs to be fixed that is a key component of the car cause ultimately it will effect other things on the car. Maybe if the glove box wouldn't lock then i could see prolonging taking it in but not this. Nothing in the world can be that important that you can't take one day out of your week to just sit at home all day long while your biggest investment in your life besides your house (your car) gets fixed so it can take you and your family or friends from point A to point B safely. GET A LIFE AND GET IT FIXED!:fing02:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I know just how you feel, man. Don't let these buzzards get you down.

My car has been leaking pints of brake fluid for months now, and the steering wheel disconnected from the wheels at speeds above 70. Also, the damn hood keeps unlatching a flying up to block my view every two-three days. It's annoying. But not as annoying as having the car at the dealer for a day.

BTW, you can drive with only three wheels. I've been doing it for a week since one wheel fell off.

I am going to take the car in to the dealer after Christmas, though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I know just how you feel, man. Don't let these buzzards get you down.

My car has been leaking pints of brake fluid for months now, and the steering wheel disconnected from the wheels at speeds above 70. Also, the damn hood keeps unlatching a flying up to block my view every two-three days. It's annoying. But not as annoying as having the car at the dealer for a day.

BTW, you can drive with only three wheels. I've been doing it for a week since one wheel fell off.

I am going to take the car in to the dealer after Christmas, though.
LOL, you shouldn't have to be burdened by going to the stupid dealer, the car should heal itself so you don't have to be relegated to not having any transportation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
:scared: OK, this thread went right off the cliff. Let's make the whole fix easier...install Microsoft Sync and just reboot the sucker! Happy Weekend all!

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow you guys are pretty lame and unhelpfull, i asked a question, not for critism, anyway i took the car in chrysler told me the tie rods are tight, despite what active + green ross said, and they did not change them, however the wheel still makes a clicking noise, i guess they were trying to get out of doing free warranty work, so when my wheel falls off it aint my fault, i hope i get hurt so chrysler can give me a settlement

·
Registered
553 Posts
wow you guys are pretty lame and unhelpfull, i asked a question, not for critism, anyway i took the car in chrysler told me the tie rods are tight, despite what active + green ross said, and they did not change them, however the wheel still makes a clicking noise, i guess they were trying to get out of doing free warranty work, so when my wheel falls off it aint my fault, i hope i get hurt so chrysler can give me a settlement
Depending on how fast you are going when the joint fails, it could be your family collecting the settlement. Plus they may have to share it with any innocent victims who are also injured in what could be a very severe accident.

I had a ball joint fail on me last year in my previous car. (and, it happened driving home late the night before I was taking it in for an inspection and repair)

Luckily, I was doing about 35-40 on a sparse populated road. Had it happened a week or so earlier, it could have happened on the expressway in much worse conditions at much greater speeds. And the ball joint failure is probably much safer than the tie rod, as the wheels are still linked together, it just dropped the front end to the ground and I lost a little steering control. I was still able to safely bring the car to a stop.

How dangerous it is depends on just what is meant by 'broken'. A truly broken tie rod cannot be driven at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get another opinion immediately, if you dont trust your guy. its not acceptable to take it anywhere but to another shop. as an ase mechanic i look at things like this, i've worked 40 yrs to get the stuff i have and to the level of life i'm at. i'm not risking it. if your stuff breaks and you kill someone. you'll be sleepin with bubba. you'll lose all your worldly pocessions. your are criminally liable. especially if the mechanic noted the defect on paper. i'd hate to have to start over. yes the words on this site could be used in court. cover your butt! your mechanic probably did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts