Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the color of the dash light from that "***" green to some other color like blue or red. Has anyone doen this or know how it can be done??

·
Registered
159 Posts
you can use the L.E.Ds from Radio Shack and hard wire them into the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I would also like to especially change the color of the speedometer & RPM color to a reddish/orange (like my previous Pontiac Bonneville).
But then the rest of the console (radio, heater etc) lights would have to also be changed to match. Seems like a major effort/cost to change them all.
But I am curious how much it would cost to pay someone to change them all.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
BMW orange or Audi red would be unique, I would be interested. I know it can be done (but this car has some crazy electrical systems), have seen it on many custom cars. How and how much are indeed the questions. Let's not assume too much, many people thought they could simply put in aftermarket xenons only to find it difficult to impossible.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think its that hard to do...there's gotta be a kit around someware to do it. That green is just so horrible. I got rid of my 300C for a 300M hemi but I can't help feeling like it's my 300C all over again. I want change. I know some of the new cars out there have a changable interior light and you can pick your color, imagine that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
niner49 said:
I don't think its that hard to do...there's gotta be a kit around someware to do it. That green is just so horrible. I got rid of my 300C for a 300M hemi but I can't help feeling like it's my 300C all over again. I want change. I know some of the new cars out there have a changable interior light and you can pick your color, imagine that.
Confused. Sounds as if your comment quoted above is backwards -- didn't you go from the 300M 350 V6 (LH body) to a 300C and Hemi (LX body)? Most of us previous DC owners went from an LH to an LX. :^))

Regaqrding the thread subject, IMO, anyone considering changing the color of the dash lighting will be trying something exceedingly difficult to do. Page 748 of the Service Manual states, in part, that the cluster incorporates two blue-green digital Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) units which are soldered to the EMIC electronic circuit board, etc....

That whole unit is going to have to be modified and those VFD's replaced with another color. There is much more involved than just the display background color. And, it isn't just a matter of replacing a small lamp or two as in olden days for one of a different color. This car is much too sophisticated for something so simple.

Get ahold of a Service Manual and check out the Chapter on the Instrument Panel -- it's much too long to post. IMO, you all are looking for one huge problem if you try to modify the background lighting color of the dash panel.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think the color is very relaxing on the eyes at night, whereas the red in Pontiacs and Mazdas I have owned really bothers my eyes after awhile. And really, what is a "***" green? Can you tell it from all the other greens? Just wondering.

·
Registered
588 Posts
BrilliantBlackHemi said:
The 300M Club had a big discussion about this and several people changed the electroluminescant sheets and lighting to blue.

Converting Dash lights to Blue
ElectroLuminescent is not VFD (Fluorescent). The M's electrical system is antique compared to the LX system. DC switched the electrical system entirely between the two series of cars; almost no commonality exists.

·
Registered
588 Posts
MattinNashville said:
i would love to have the Acura TL blue interior color!
Easiest way to do that appears to be to just buy one.

:^))

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
http://solarfilmco.com/color-window-film.html

^the opaque black says thats theres 0% visable light transmission. does this mean i can still see through it from the inside if i use it to tint my back windows? i worry about the safety issue of not being able to see objects and cars in back of me at night. i had very dark tint on in the rear of my old car, and it didnt seen that bad in terms of visability. i think this would look very cool on the back windows of a BB C .

(sorry if this post is out of context with the thread topic)

·
Registered
6 Posts
ElectroLuminescent or Fluorescent, this is not a simple change. Both of these systems have fairly complex electronics to power them. It is not a simple light bulb change. EL Panels have driver chips that vary the voltage across the element (a sheet of material that illuminates when voltage is applied) to change the intensity. This of course is part of the dimming circuit. There is a similar system with Fluorescent lighting. Unless another color panel or element is available there is no way to change the actual color of the lighting itself; short of going with some sort of color overlay. I'd be interested to see where this thread goes and if anyone makes changes to the lighting in their car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts