Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm particularly curious as to what other people drove befor they got there
300C. I have a diesel so that is where the main of my interst lies, but please feel free to pitch in with your thoughts.

The Chrysler 300C - A marketeers nightmare or dream.

Chrytsler in the UK have never had a "prestige" large car to top off the range so have not been able to rely on previous customers replacing like with like, neither have they had a progressive range of cars (i.e 3 series to 5 series to 7 series) for customers to step up to the 300C. So Chrysler had to attract "new blood", so here are a few things that I have come up with that made me curious as to the marketing of the car.

In no particular order.

Its an American car, and the motoring press in the UK hate American cars, besides which no American car has ever broken into the UK market properly (except mabye Jeep)
It is very distinctive.
It weighs 2 tons.
It is longer than a Toyota Land Cruiser and wider than a Range Rover.
It outperforms a Audi A8 diesel Quattro
It costs the same as a Mid spec 3 series 2lt diesel, but is more spacious that a 7 series.
For the same money as a X type diesel, you have something that will out perform an XJ diesel.
Your sister company has a similar product for (at least) 50% more cash.
The CO2 figures are pants.
It's tyhe same price as a 1.9 lt Diesel Saab 9.5
The top of the range Vauxhall Signum diesel is actually £1000 more than a 300c and isn't as well equipped.
The goverment is trying to turn "joe public" into large car haters.
I'm getting 36.2 mpg from Arnie.
Why make the grill the big marketing tool, when the first thing a lot of people do is change it.
Actually create a waiting list for the car (fantastic, there's nowt like anticipation)
create an image of strength & safety (to attract 4X4 drivers ?)

I'm sure that there's more, but thats a few for going on with.

But back to the original question.

What car did you have before your 300C and what were the 3 biggest influences on your purchase.

Previously I had a Rover 75 Diesel Tourer and my 3 biggest influences were.

1) looks
2) fantastic value for money, esprcially bang for my buck
3) different from the normal car dross in the UK.
I can't claim performance because I ordered my car 9 months before they became available in the UK

MTC

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi MTC

Well, its a long story (sorry) for me. I am currently driving a Mondeo 2.0 Petrol company repmobile, no choice, I inherited it from my boss about 3.5 years ago. Prior to that I inherited his 1.8 Mondeo. Don't get me wrong, excellent handling, durable & well screwed together, the old shape 1.8 was actually more refined at speed than the current 2.0 (a bit higher geared).

I would have opted out of the company scheme then, but the politics being what they were.....

Anyway, I suppose (people tell me) I've always been a bit individual when it comes to cars. My dad ran Volvo 240s when we were kids, and I decided (hugely unfashionably) that I fancied running one as an impoverished student! 24 mpg on 4 star is no fun on limited funds, but this thing was absolutely mint & I quite liked it.

Then I graduated & started a temporary job in car sales while looking for something more permanent. Someone traded in an E28 BMW 5 series 525i, and I couldnt resist it, I'd always loved the shape, I got it for peanuts. When I started my first permanent job - still driving the BM, people (mostly jealous I think) used to say "when are you giving your dad's car back to him".

Anyway, after this its been limited choice company cars, but I always kept the 525, which I still have to this day 13 years later and was running every Summer (until this year when the 300c will probably satisfy that need).

If the 300c has anything like the character, comfort, ride, handling & responsiveness of the old 525 (which from experience so far it does & much much more) then I am one happy guy.

Don't worry, the 525 isn't going anywhere, I'll probably still have that in 20 years time.

Back to your questions.

3 influences

1) Shape & looks - loved this since first seeing one in Las Vegas (at night) on Summer hols.
2) (equal) Diesel, Diesel, Diesel - thank goodness for the stuff, and the fact that the engines these days are so good & efficient even at 3.0 litres (for you guys over the water - liters).
2) (equal) Price - probably equal with the above, I can just about afford it!

Thats enough from me, I've probably used up about a month's allocation of space on the site!

Just

·
Registered
320 Posts
Interesting question...

I drove a 2003 Hummer H2, a 2002 Escalade before that, a 2001 BMW 325 convertible, before that a 2000 BMW Z3. As you can see my taste in cars varies greatly.

My top three influences on the purchase of my 300C:

1. LOVED the look of the car--when I first saw it, I thought it was just a concept and if they did build it, it would be a $45-55K vehicle.
2. Loved the fact there was a myriad on custom pieces avaiable to my individualize it.
3. The peformance of the car impressed me as well and helped seal the deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As student I drove a Ford Fiesta 1300S (1980) and a Ford Fiesta 1.4i CLX (1989).
When I began to work I bought an used Oldmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3L (1991). I keept this daily driver for 8 years and up to 230'000km.

In between I bought a new 2002 Camaro Z28 LS1, for the week-end. 10 months before getting married...

At the end of 2004, I was a dad with 2 kids and it was impossible to travel anymore with wife's car (Alfa Romeo 147 1.6L Twin Spark 120HP). The Olds was used only in Switzerland and at this time wasn't able to stay safe without ABS on (p.e) italian highways (they were quick...).

I needed a new car: Cadillac CTS-V (LS6 5.7L) wasn't exported, the 3.2L too small for my taste, Cadillac STS was at the end of the story, no need for a 4X4, Mercedes V8 were too expensive for me and The 300M was just replaced by the 300C and came up with a new V8... after 2 spin at the dealer the deal was made.

I own my 300C for 10 months new. Everything is fine (13'000km).

I spoke lately with the dealer who told me that the main problem for sale is the size. The man wants it and the woman tells she won't drive that monster in town.

I'm a true US-cars enthousiast but I considered anyway other cars at the time: BMW 330i Stw, Mercedes C230K Stw, Mercedes E350, Volvo V70R. I kept my way with "different cars" especially with strong engine.

It was just sad the the SRT8 was not exported early 2005. I don't think about trading this spring or I should sell the Z28 too and there's not market for it (it's one of the 9 sold in 2002 out here). For a modded musclecar it's worse...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Murphy The Cat said:
Previously I had a Rover 75 Diesel Tourer and my 3 biggest influences were.

1) looks
2) fantastic value for money, esprcially bang for my buck
3) different from the normal car dross in the UK.
I can't claim performance because I ordered my car 9 months before they became available in the UK

MTC
I exchanged a top of the range Landcruiser for the 300.

And I did so for all your reasons (in the same order), but I like to add
4. Performance
5. Because I am so incredibly cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
The last three cars I owned before the 300C CRD were a 911 (993) Carrera 4S, a 911 (993) Carrera 2 and an BMW X5 3.0d.I never liked the X5, it was too unsporty to drive and always felt like a truck.
Other american cars or cars with american technologies were a Corvette C3 in the mid eightees, and a few years ago an ISO Rivolta GT from 1967 with corvette engine and transmission.

Best regards from Luxembourg
Robert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bones Brigade said:
Hi,
The last three cars I owned before the 300C CRD were a 911 (993) Carrera 4S, a 911 (993) Carrera 2 and an BMW X5 3.0d.I never liked the X5, it was too unsporty to drive and always felt like a truck.
Other american cars or cars with american technologies were a Corvette C3 in the mid eightees, and a few years ago an ISO Rivolta GT from 1967 with corvette engine and transmission.

Best regards from Luxembourg
Robert

Hi Robert

You're obviously a man who likes his cars.

Sorry to be nosey, but what were the three most important things to you when you ordered/bought your 300c ?

MTC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi MTC,

The most important thing was that there are not much around,
the second was the challenge to make it look really good and unique after doing some modifications and make it behave sporty, the third one was the economic factor.You can drive a really nice and unique car without putting much gasoline in and the engine power and torque makes it a good all day driver.

Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let the pigs Fly

Robert,
I saw this as your caption.I thought you might enjoy this registration plate.

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John Johnson said:
Robert,
I saw this as your caption.I thought you might enjoy this registration plate.

JJ

Hi John

I guess that i don't need to ask you about pic posting problems ?

MTC

p.s. do you need an aircraft hanger to store all of your vehicles ?

p.p.s did you give the Startech SD6 / warranty situation any thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi MTC,

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier,I have been laid up with this Flu bug thats going about.I realy appreciate the help you gave me,in between laying in bed dying(us men do that with flu) thats what my wife said.
I have been trying to get the hang of posting pics,it now seems to work,again many thanks.

Over the last 6 to 8 years I have had many diesel powered cars and trucks that needed that little extra kick.I have always gone with the companys that have either been TUV approved or have a track record of some sort.
I did not just want a power hike,but I wanted to know how this was acheived.

Many years ago when Noah was a lad I was a development Engineer for a Motor manufacturer,so I can understand what has to be done to each component with regard to any increase.

I have used DMS in the past for BMW 3 Liter engines to great effect,with no adverse effects.the module always removed for service intervals.

I have used DMS for Mercedes engines in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.I did not remove this module when the service was due and they did not know it was there.

The modern Diesel engine is so far above the modern petrol engine in developement that it is capable of producing a lot of power without any harm.I am talking about mid range here not high RPM.

If the module is used when new the new car warranty will take care of any problems.

I have not had one problem with any car or truck.

My wife has a Volvo Xc 90 2.4 Diesel it had 165 HP when delivered,it now has 198 HP.It has transformed the way the car drives.

My 300c will arrive on the 1st March,I am waiting for my chip to arrive as we speak. I will keep you all informed how the car performs.

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John Johnson said:
Hi MTC,

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier,I have been laid up with this Flu bug thats going about.I realy appreciate the help you gave me,in between laying in bed dying(us men do that with flu) thats what my wife said.
I have been trying to get the hang of posting pics,it now seems to work,again many thanks.

Over the last 6 to 8 years I have had many diesel powered cars and trucks that needed that little extra kick.I have always gone with the companys that have either been TUV approved or have a track record of some sort.
I did not just want a power hike,but I wanted to know how this was acheived.

Many years ago when Noah was a lad I was a development Engineer for a Motor manufacturer,so I can understand what has to be done to each component with regard to any increase.

I have used DMS in the past for BMW 3 Liter engines to great effect,with no adverse effects.the module always removed for service intervals.

I have used DMS for Mercedes engines in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.I did not remove this module when the service was due and they did not know it was there.

The modern Diesel engine is so far above the modern petrol engine in developement that it is capable of producing a lot of power without any harm.I am talking about mid range here not high RPM.

If the module is used when new the new car warranty will take care of any problems.

I have not had one problem with any car or truck.

My wife has a Volvo Xc 90 2.4 Diesel it had 165 HP when delivered,it now has 198 HP.It has transformed the way the car drives.

My 300c will arrive on the 1st March,I am waiting for my chip to arrive as we speak. I will keep you all informed how the car performs.

JJ

err John, the 1st of March, by my calulations thats next week

I Hope that it all goes welll for you.

I had my Rover 75 CDT chipped up from 116bhp to 131bhp (MG Rover chip job) and it improved the car a lot. I would not have the bottle to risk my warranty on a non-manufactuer product though (just me).

MTC

p.s. what is it with Man-Flu that women don't understand ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well Its my first post so hello to all I've read about 90 or so threads in the last 4 hours on this forum.

In reply to this thread. I currently drive a Land-Rover Freelander and hope to upgrade to a 300C reasons are.
It's just as safe as a 4x4 and better performs both on MPG and handling.

I live in Berkshire between 2 chrysler garages.
I went to one (knowle Hill) in Oct last year the week before the first 2 cars were in the country doing the rounds of the garages, and the garage staff were getting trained.

I went into knowle hill and sat with my fiancee for over 45 minutes wating to be seen. 2 other couples came in around the 45 minute mark and were seen straight away.

We both left and decided to forget about the 300C, as our experience of chrysler had been so dire. I kept the Landie and then I saw 2 300c's on the same day this week (monday) both black and both with custom grills ( could have just been same car twice actually). Upon seeing it I decided to visit the other garage.

I now have an appointment tomorrow and if all goes well will place an order and the garage thinks they may be able to get me a car within 1-2 weeks. Which would mean I have it for the return of my honeymoon in 3 weeks.

I'll post an update of the test drive tomorrow in a new thread tomorrow.

z

PS I've loved reading about everyones driving experiences

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Answering from over here...

First ever car... the 1968 Dodge Charger (still the best looking Charger ever made IMHO). Wasn't a street rocket, just looked very cool. Drove it through college and grad school.

Next... New 1976 Pontiac LeMans, purchased in the spring of 1975. Car was okay. Affordable with help from relatives for a grad. student with young family about to embark in the world of industrial work.

Next... 1983 Audi 5000 Turbo Diesel. Traded the LeMans for it in the fall of 1984 (LeMans didn't start well in the winter). Still had and used the Charger daily.

Next... 1984 Audi Coupe GT. Purchased used from orig. owner in 1986. That's more or less when I parked the Charger. Purchased as the future bum-around high school car (in 1996 and later) for our son. It was in good shape when I gave it to him, and it was "done" before he finished his college studies! He then gave it back to us, and we drove it for one more (or nearly) a year. That was 2002 (I think).

Next... Bought new a 1994 Chrysler Town & Country AWD mini-van for the purpose of transporting the son and his gaggle of friends and our youth group all over the place. Bought the van also because the Turbo Diesel was "done." Tranny was shot, turbo developed a hole... no longer worth repairing. Had driven it on the order of 180k+ miles over 10 years. Still have the van... presently at 186k+ miles.

Somwhere in the late '80s I sold the Charger to a kid, who really wanted it and spent about $8000 of his dad's money to restore and customize it a bit. I always thought I would get around to doing that... but knew it would never happen. Still miss that car though.

Next... when the Coupe GT would not pass inspection any longer (2002), I sold it to the auto shop for $100, and we purchased a used 1997 Subaru Outback Legacy with 101k miles IIRC.

Last Sept. we traded the Subaru for the Blue 300C in my signature. The Subaru was terrible for traveling, and we knew we wanted a 300... the certified pre-owned Blue was found at the local dealer at a good price with trade, so we pulled the trigger.

Now we're awaiting a new Heritage Edition, hopefully within the next month.

Why did we "go for" the 300C? The car's presentation is just plain impressive! I've always been somewhat partial to Chrysler and Dodge, and the design of this vehicle, more than any other I had seen for some time was a gradn slam (to use a baseball term). I like the power WITH the economy. I'm not a "gearhead" so to speak, but I do like the power at my command if and when I ever should need it in a tight traffic situation.

So ends my story... for now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

zoro25 said:
Well Its my first post so hello to all I've read about 90 or so threads in the last 4 hours on this forum.

In reply to this thread. I currently drive a Land-Rover Freelander and hope to upgrade to a 300C reasons are.

I went to one (knowle Hill) in Oct last year the week before the first 2 cars were in the country doing the rounds of the garages, and the garage staff were getting trained.

I went into knowle hill and sat with my fiancee for over 45 minutes wating to be seen. 2 other couples came in around the 45 minute mark and were seen straight away.

We both left and decided to forget about the 300C, as our experience of chrysler had been so dire. I kept the Landie and then I saw 2 300c's on the same day this week (monday) both black and both with custom grills ( could have just been same car twice actually). Upon seeing it I decided to visit the other garage.

I now have an appointment tomorrow and if all goes well will place an order and the garage thinks they may be able to get me a car within 1-2 weeks. Which would mean I have it for the return of my honeymoon in 3 weeks.

z

Hi there Zoro 25...

Let me be the first to welcome you to this great forum where you will get a lot of helpful advice on an international level from a good cross section of a knowledgable and often very entertaining group of like enthusiasts of the 300C.

I assume that you are UK based and wondered whether you are intending to get the CRD or one of the petrol versions?

Best of luck with your test drive and hope it leads to you placing an order. I am looking forward to your post of first impressions.

Also congrats to you and your fiance on your iminent wedding!

Regards

Geordie

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zoro25 said:

z

Hi zoro25

I'll back up what Geordie said and welcome you to the forum.

In a funny way I think that you may have had a lucky escape last year at Knowle Hill when you suffered the rudeness of being ignored. In October last year, there is a good chance that the dealer would have known next to bugger all about the 300C and you would have suffered the embaressment of being "bluffed to" by a salesman who in all honesty had only extracted his knowledge of the car from the same brochure that you were reading.
This isn't a slight at the dealers, just an observation about just how much the dealer could actually know about that they hadn't yet seen. But thats no excuse for rudeness.

As other people on this forum will tell you, I have only ever recieved very, very good service from ES Hartleys at Ings in the Lake District. I know that they are a long way from you, but if you do not get treated properly by your local company, I can 100% recommend them (tel 01539 822450, the salesmans name is Robert Ure).

Good luck on the testdrive and I loof forward to hearing about your thoughts/opinions on the car. Your salesman quoted 1-2 weeks leadtime for the car which seems extremely optomistic for the CRD (but mabye spot on for the V6 petrol), either way lat us all now.

see you later

MTC

p.s. I almost forgot. I hope that your wedding / honeymoon goes completely to plan and is everythying that you hoped for. Good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My parents owned a Dodge dealership (Ebbets Field-Dodge in Brooklyn NY) from 1964 to 1975.

I drove every model from the original Dart to the Charger, Challenger, Coronet, Polara, Monaco. (Dodge Aspen, or Aspirin, and other new models were just being introduced when my parents retired and headed south.)

My first owned car was a Dodge Dart 360. (1975) Fast and very light. Koni shocks, lots of soups.

In 1977, I bought a Hurst Olds with T-tops, then an assortment of family cars from a 4 door Cutlass to a Merc Sable.

In 1998 when the new design Intrepid was introduced, I got the ES and then in 2001, the R/T.

Having lived in the NYC area, we really only needed one car, but that changed when we moved to South Florida. When we moved here in 2004, we got a new Stratus R/T, and now the 2006 C.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Murphy The Cat said:
Hi zoro25
p.s. I almost forgot. I hope that your wedding / honeymoon goes completely to plan and is everythying that you hoped for. Good luck.
Thanks and also to Geordie as well. It's UK ceremony is on Friday and then we fly to Dubai for 5 nights and the onto Maldives and we get wed again on a private island. (should be nice).

I have posted in a new thead about my experiences, so far.

once again thanks for the warm welcomes.

z

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
zoro25 said:
Thanks and also to Geordie as well. It's UK ceremony is on Friday and then we fly to Dubai for 5 nights and the onto Maldives and we get wed again on a private island. (should be nice).

I have posted in a new thead about my experiences, so far.

once again thanks for the warm welcomes.

z
(should be nice) ?

blimey O'Reilley, should be absolutely, completely, out of this world, mind blowingly fantastic !!!!!!!!!!

I don't suppose you need someone to carry your bags do you ? :naughty:

MTC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts