Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have misread a previous article, and or it may have been referring to the 300C only, but I remember reading something about the 300's airbox having an extra baffle or something in it to keep the engine noise down.
Does this pertain to the SRT 300 and if so, can it be removed?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
nah

no baffles, just a small resonance chamber that causes no restriction at all. If it bothers you it can be removed without any ill effect.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The charger SRTs have the tube without that silencer on it. You can find them on ebay for dirt cheap or sometimes in the for sale section. I think it looks better than trying to plug up the hole with a fat cork or something...there are tech articles on ways to cork it too.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just go with the CAI anyway?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I may have misread a previous article, and or it may have been referring to the 300C only, but I remember reading something about the 300's airbox having an extra baffle or something in it to keep the engine noise down.
Does this pertain to the SRT 300 and if so, can it be removed?
Thanks
The silencer for the intake was deleted sometime during the middle of the 2006 MY run. Unless you're looking at an early 06, you don't even need to worry about it. Since mid 06, all LX cars use the exact same intake from the factory. I think even the Jeep intake is the same, except it pulls air from the passenger side of the car instead of the driver side.

But even if you do find a used car with a silencer, just pull the original intake out of there and pick up an AFE-2 CAI or an Airhammer. You won't regret that decision.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
my C-SRT (manuf date of May 2006) had the silencer on the intake tube. i read a post on this mod and bought a rubber stopper from home depot and a band clamp and did the silencer delete. i eventually got a hennessey cai.

when helping some buddies install hid fog lights, we noticed a large silencer mechanism on the 300C. this thing is located "under" the air box hole and sits low behind the front facia. we removed it and noticed a much louder sound (and assuming a much increased airflow).

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Interesting. It must have been during the middle of MY 07 that they changed it. My bad. :smashfrea
i'm not sure, but maybe it was the 07 MY the began manufacturing in mid-late 06.

·
Registered
903 Posts
my C-SRT (manuf date of May 2006) had the silencer on the intake tube. i read a post on this mod and bought a rubber stopper from home depot and a band clamp and did the silencer delete. i eventually got a hennessey cai.

when helping some buddies install hid fog lights, we noticed a large silencer mechanism on the 300C. this thing is located "under" the air box hole and sits low behind the front facia. we removed it and noticed a much louder sound (and assuming a much increased airflow).
Was it part of the ducting for the brake cooling? I've heard some guys removing that, but its not good for the brakes.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Was it part of the ducting for the brake cooling? I've heard some guys removing that, but its not good for the brakes.
You should never remove the brake ducts. But you can remove the lower radiator baffle on the drivers side to allow more cool air to be sucked into the intake. There is a how-to somewhere on this or LX Forums. It's as simple as loosening the belly pan shroud, sticking your hand through the opening, and removing 2 plastic pins to remove the baffle. Or you can do it if you happen to have the front facia pulled off for changing out the grille.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts