Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 300c that has the 6 disc changer with nav. The other day I took one cd out to swap with another and it never prompted me to insert disc, it just started trying to load with no disc in that slot. I remove the other five cds and it does it with all spots. It shows "No Discs Loaded" but when I hit the load button it just trys to load a disc that it knows isn't there. Is there anyway to reset this stereo? I've tried disconnecting the battery and pulling the fuse for a few hours but that didn't seem to do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My dealer just gave me the answer to this question today I guess. They charged me $85 to diag it and told me I needed a new stereo/nav system swap for a cost of $800. Just went to Best Buy and bought a Kenwood stereo/DVD/nav for about the same price with way more features.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
yeah, the cd changers are known to lock up.. never seen it happen with just ejecting, it usually requires bouncing the unit really bad (like in shipping) or it getting turned upside down (like when removing from the car)..

I've had 3 covered under warranty, 2 for the issue you describe and 1 for the LCD going out..

I finally got the dealership to get me a NEW unit, not a refurb (which is usually what the warranty gives you) I promptly removed it when I got it home and put in an Alpine..

the new REC is now locked up in my garage until the day I opt to sell the car..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I sent my unit out about 2 years ago to get fixed for the same thing...It was about $180 bucks to fix....If I find the name of the company I sent it too I'll post it.......search online on places that fix navigation units..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, if you come across that name, post it. I ended up buying a Kenwood 5120 head unit the other day at best buy. The salesperson and the tech told me it was going to be wired through the amp in the Boston Premium Sound system and I would still have all of my speakers working. The install was scheduled for two hours. After about 2 1/2 hours we went back and the tech said he was wiring the amp then and give him another hour and a half. When we got there, he showed me all of the nav features, but oddly, never turned on the stereo for me to hear. He ended up telling me he had to bypass the amp but it still sounds "pretty good". To me, a $1300 stereo install should sound way better than pretty good. I started driving through the parking lot, turned on the cd player and my clock radio on my nightstand has better sound than this had. I went back into the store and the tech said that I needed to put new 6 X 9s in the door and amp and a 12" sub. Come in the next day and he would give me a deal, about $500. When I got there they came up with a price of $750. I told them FO and take it out, put the old one back in and give me my money back. I've now ordered a Mygig and the adapter and am going to give that a shot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am a big fan of OEM even though the aftermarket has more options I have always had good luck with the Chrysler OEM radios. Hopefully they did not butcher your wiring I always do all my own work since no one cares for our vehicles more than we do. I have some older radios here which sit in Jeeps with no tops and get rained on for over a year and still somehow seem to work just fine. I have had good luck with the REC radios
if a 2008 mygig bezel is used in an older model would it have a factory fit?
i have read of others having custom bezels made which puzzles me

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically the same thing the other tech at Best Buy told me when I was dealing with this. He said that he has a 300C with the premium sound and if anything ever happened to it he would fork out the $800 to Chysler for the OEM. I love the sound of the system, just thought trying to upgrade to a Mygig with a single disc may be the way to go to lose the changer, less moving parts and I can only listen to one disc at a time anyway. I kind of wondered the same about getting a different bezel. I'm still trying to figure that out while I wait for the unit and the adapter to show up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts