Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP!! Is this a good deal for a 12'' JLW7?

Went to Pacific Stereo today and they quoted me for the 12'' JL Audio W7 in the box, with the Almani Chrome 950W Amp, Dynamat, Speaker Cables, and Labor all for $1000 flat.. Is this a good price? Let me know if I should go with it.. Thanks!!

JL W7 12'' in enclosure made from the specs of JL

I'm sure you know the specs and quality for the W7's.. but will this amp work?

Item Number: ALC950
2 Channel 950W, Digital High Power Amplifier

4 [email protected]% THD (20Hz-30kHz): 150W X 2
2 [email protected]% THD: 300W X 2
4OHMS BRIDGED 1% THD: 600W X 1
MAXIMUM OUTPUT POWER: 950 WATTS
LOW PASS FILTER: (VARIABLE) 50Hz-250Hz
HIGH PASS FILTER: (VARIABLE) 80Hz-1.2kHz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (-1dB): 10Hz-40kHz
SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO ('A' WTD): >100dB
INPUT SENSITIVITY: 200mV Ohms - 6V
INPUT IMPEDANCE: 22k Ohms
OPERATION VOLTAGE (NEGATIVE GROUND): DC 12V
SPEAKER IMPEDANCE @ STEREO DRIVEN: 4 Ohms
FUSE RATING: 30A X 2
DIMENSIONS (W X H X D): 287 X 57.5 X 325

·
Registered
196 Posts
600W at 4ohms??? that blows if you ask me.

Save a $100 or $200 more and get yourself a better amp...

install it yourself and save yourself about $100 which you can put towards the amp ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The W7 is a very good one but that amp looks pretty basic. Not enough amp for that sub, I'd get a JL amp to match. $1000 is a little pricey for labor, but not bad. Where are you getting dynamat put in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good point. Do you really need a W7? I'd get a cheaper JL like a W3. Hell I have the 10w0 (sounds like oil weight) in a non-300 and its powered by a JL 500/5 amp in a custom box...that sucker will make your eyes vibrate in their sockets...and its only a $90 sub! :D:D:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the winner goes to......

wesexcellence said:
The W-7 needs at least 700 watts rms...not max. I too would suggest waiting for a better amp. Ask the shop for a better amp. If they carry JL, why not sell you a JL 1000?
JL 1000/1, 12 JL W7, Dynamat Trunk (might need to dynamat the whole car though), installed for $1250... good deal?

·
Registered
677 Posts
The amp runs for about $750, the 12w7 around $450, the box usually around $200, and dynamat for an entire trunk $150. Not to mention Amp Wiring kit, and installation/labor costs.

Are you just jerking our chain or are you serious?

You're either dreaming, or getting one smokin deal especially if its from a local shop. You can't beat that price used off ebay...

Something smells fishy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. Ktan I'm not sure why you would make something like this up, but perhaps someone is simply jerking YOUR chain?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think its safe to say you've got no JL warranty on any of that equipment.

Engine Noise may exist after installation.

That note scares me, and he is going to magically charge you extra for isolating the noise that exists after his install is complete. If he did the install right the first time he wouldn't have to worry. Any reputable installer would address a noise issue with the customer without stating a warning on the invoice. Noise must be a common side affect of the guys installs...

Ktan, I'm not trying to bust your chops in any way shape or form. I've just seen one too many crappy audio installs, and shady people in the car audio business. This guy is definitely shady, his install work remains to be seen.

Be CAREFUL and don't accept the work if you are not happy. Let him call the cops if he wants. Don't sign or pay until the work is completed to your satisfaction. It seems as if you have already put down a deposit. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for your input but i've dealt with him before and i'm satisfied with previous service so i think i'm going to go ahead with it with confidence.. i'll let you guys know how it goes after the installation on saturday...

question - would these speakers work to replace the front dash speakers? how many would i need to buy?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11397

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not tyring to be a jerk, but the reason you ask questions on this forum is because people like Rogue, Aspendog and myself are very experienced.
You might be okay but for the most part, that would be sketchy at best.
You just can't run a shop on 10 pionts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
rogue said:
The amp runs for about $750, the 12w7 around $450, the box usually around $200, and dynamat for an entire trunk $150. Not to mention Amp Wiring kit, and installation/labor costs.

Are you just jerking our chain or are you serious?

You're either dreaming, or getting one smokin deal especially if its from a local shop. You can't beat that price used off ebay...

Something smells fishy.

Actually Dynamat with the real brand is $250 for the trunk... I had to use two trunk kits a total of 40 squared feet and it was about $125 each installed... or maybe a little more... unless he is using a much cheaper priced material... or a cheap box maybe $100 for the box???

either way we want to see pictures of everything :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Don't bother with 3.5" Speakers. Ditch them completely in the front and run as expensive set of Components you can afford. You can fit a 6.5" Component set in the 6x9 spot in the door. I supplemented mine with a CDT Image Enhancement kit in the 3.5" Locations. Sounds great.

·
Registered
330 Posts
rogue said:
Don't bother with 3.5" Speakers. Ditch them completely in the front and run as expensive set of Components you can afford. You can fit a 6.5" Component set in the 6x9 spot in the door. I supplemented mine with a CDT Image Enhancement kit in the 3.5" Locations. Sounds great.
Rogue,
I'm not familiar with that...more info?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts