Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 180 tstat installed and have adusted the fans to come on via the predator. My settings are 195 LS and 205 MS/HS......

Even with these settings my engine temps are getting high. Yesterday while driving home all highway...pretty spirited runs using autostick...the temp reading was 220! Now it is beginning to heat up down here in S. Fla and it was probably about 83 degrees but I thought with the tstat installed and with the settings I have the engine would never get that high?

Could my fan not be working?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
the engine can still get hotter than the settings, yes.

especially if you are driving aggressively.

do you hear the fans?

they are quite loud, especially on high speed.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Herd, mine are doing the same thing. Its just as hot here in S.C. By the way I can hear the high fan at traffic lights after somewhat spirited driving! Don't think there's a problem and the fans are doing what their suppose too! You may want to adjust to what feels right for you! Stock Tstat is opening at 10 degrees over and thats what I have mine set for with the 180 Tstat.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I can't imagine that on an SRT8 with the extra cooling it has and if you're moving down the road at 35 mph or higher (even aggressively) that the 180 Tstat would allow it to get that hot without the fans running.

Still, I think your fan settings are a bit high... I'd be more like LS at 190, HS at 196-197.

My fans are at stock settings and climbing the multi-mile mountain grade out of NC into VA last fall (temps in the 70s) my temps on the MSRT8 stayed right on 185 with the 4128 Motorad Tstat. Earlier in the summer the 300C (5.7) with the environmental temps in the high 80s the coolant temp rose to 203 up the same climb.

So I do think you should have the fan functions checked out... but... you're going to have to go back to all stock for the dealer to do so and the temps you've described are pretty "normal" for totally stock SRT8.

Alternatively you could go out running the car a bit, then come home and just let it idle... while listening out front to hear when the fans engage. You probably could see them engage with the hood open, if you could take the heat of the engine bay...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it is what it is the....I pulled up the hood this afternoon after taking her for a run and YES I did here the fans so they are working....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts