1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Chrysler 300C RWD 5.7L
Factory 20" wheels.
80K miles.

Bit of a saga this car... 1 year ago it was shaking pretty bad when I stopped and the tires were well worn. I had 35 or 40k on a set of continental pure contact 245/45R16's. I had the front and rear brake pads/rotors replaced with napa's "better" rotors and Adaptive One pads. I bought them and took them to a shop to have them installed. Was too cold to lay on the ground and do it myself... and I found that my floor jack wouldn't fit under the car. Also had them replace the tires with another set of Continental PureContact LS tires (the old ones didn't have the LS). They put 2 on backwards, had them fix that mistake. They did a balance and alignment as well.

The car shook. I could see it in the steering wheel and feel it in my body. I took it back, they rebalanced. It still shook both in the wheel and my body. It did it worse when I braked and did it pretty bad from about 35mph to 60mph. Once at 70 or so, I didn't notice it much. I took it to another shop, had them balance, it still shook, but not as bad. Then I took it back and had them do a road force balance. The shake in the wheel was gone finally and when I brake, it doesn't shake. Has been a year of steering wheel shake and braking shake. However, it still shakes my body from 35mph to 65mph. Not nearly as bad as before, but it's there and it gnaws at me.

15 years or so ago, I had a set of continentals on a different car that would never not shake after multiple balancing trips. I talked to the guy at the current shop if perhaps something was wrong with the tires. He said he didn't see anything odd about them and the rims also ran true. So, since I was fed up, I decided to try another set of tires of which the brand/model I had ran on 4 cars and probably 8 sets of the tires with zero issues and long life. Uniroyal tiger paws. Not the most "performance" tire, but they worked ok for me as I just drive. I don't race or screw around really, just a guy that likes a larger car with a v8 in it that cruises nice at 80mph all day long.

I just had the uniroyals installed... still shakes. The continentals have 6700 miles on them, they are a 60K tire. They still have the little nubs on the sides. I'm at the end of my rope a bit and am taking it to a Chrysler dealer mechanic in the next few days I hope to sort out the issue.

Seems to do it most predictably at 45mph whether the car is in gear and under power or in gear and decelerating or in neutral coasting.

I don't now if it's the trans, suspension, torque converter, rear end... but I'm pretty sure it's not the tires, rotors, wheels, brakes or my imagination.

I'm trying to read the threads regarding shaking, but they seem to trail off and no resolutions are posted. I'm not a mechanic at all, but I'm capable enough to change brakes/rotors and usually do that myself. Just since my jack didn't fit under this car, I decided to have it done elsewhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just dropped it off at the only Chrysler/Dodge dealer in town. I didn't buy the car there or ever buy a car under the umbrella of dealerships in our town owned by the same guy. He has seperate Toyota, Hyundai/Kia, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and Mercedes dealerships. Just tends to charge more than I want to pay for used auto's.

Will post up whatever the issue is if they sort it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing they said after scanning it was to tell me I had 2 or 3 recalls that they will fix as well. Airbags and alternator were the two I remember. They will call tomorrow to let me know what they find before doing any work.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I took mine in a couple of weeks or so ago for tire rotation, while doing that they found 1 tire out of balance. It was balanced and had been driving great, the last couple of days when on the highway I noticed a shacking feeling and thought my eyes are playing tricks as looking out the windshield it looks like the vehicle is shacking. This was a tire shop and I have lifetime rotation and balance on the tires so going to have them checked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With mine, you can see the passenger seat backrest shake in sync with the shake I feel in my gut, but the steering wheel no longer shakes. So I think the "road force balance" fixed the steering shake, but didn't fix what I'm feeling.

I may drive my wife's Camry around on some of the same roads this weekend if they need to keep my car longer, just to see if what I'm feeling is in my head due to having the shaking going on for a year (which I don't think it's in my head) or if perhaps it's the roads. However, a little 4cyl camry is shorter, lighter, smaller wheels, softer suspension... so likely, any road harmonics won't be felt the same, or at all in that car. Still might do it anyway because if it costs more than $5k to fix the Chrysler... I have a tough decision to make, which may land me in a late model used Camry, just for longevity sake.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have experienced the passenger seat shaking and if I recall it was a wheel out of balance. I've had 2 wheels replaced as 1 was bent and the other worn. If I remember correctly the shake I had at that time was the bent wheel. Also as yourself I am noticing a slight shake of the passenger seat, not as bad as before.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I experienced this body shaking both from imbalanced wheels, from bent steel wheels, and from defective tires. Since you replaced the tires already with a totally different brand, then I'm most suspicious of bent wheels. Can you bend an alloy wheel before it breaks? I also like spin balancing rather than statically balancing them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Chrysler dealer said one of the 50 mile old tires was bad... so, I'm taking it back to the place where I had the conti's removed with uniroyal tiger paws put on to have them switched back to the conti's. I asked the dealer to check the wheel bearings, ujoints, steering system, etc to try and rule out the cause of the issue that started me on this nightmare, but they found nothing suspect.

Not sure what I'll do with the uniroyals... living in an apartment and not having a truck limits what you can do with 4 20" tires... think I have a buddy that can store them in the rafters of his garage.

I do know this will be the last time I try to save a buck and get tires online... if I at least bought them at a tire shop, I could take it there for warranty issues, but as it is, I need to have them mark the "bad" tire then try and get it replaced or a refund and ship it myself for that one tire. I doubt I'll ever run the uniroyals, as they are prohibitively noisy. Awful tire howl at 70mph. Sounds like I'm driving a truck with offroad tires... even with the windows up. But, since they were mounted and driven on, I can't get a refund... perhaps throw them on craigslist for $100 and hope someone wants them, while I eat the $450 I spent on them.

Getting the conti's put back on tomorrow... then likely nothing over the holiday. If the issue comes back (which I have no reason to believe it won't), I'll take it back to the Chrysler dealer to see what they can find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2012 Chrysler 300C RWD 5.7L
Factory 20" wheels.
80K miles.

Bit of a saga this car... 1 year ago it was shaking pretty bad when I stopped and the tires were well worn. I had 35 or 40k on a set of continental pure contact 245/45R16's. I had the front and rear brake pads/rotors replaced with napa's "better" rotors and Adaptive One pads. I bought them and took them to a shop to have them installed. Was too cold to lay on the ground and do it myself... and I found that my floor jack wouldn't fit under the car. Also had them replace the tires with another set of Continental PureContact LS tires (the old ones didn't have the LS). They put 2 on backwards, had them fix that mistake. They did a balance and alignment as well.

The car shook. I could see it in the steering wheel and feel it in my body. I took it back, they rebalanced. It still shook both in the wheel and my body. It did it worse when I braked and did it pretty bad from about 35mph to 60mph. Once at 70 or so, I didn't notice it much. I took it to another shop, had them balance, it still shook, but not as bad. Then I took it back and had them do a road force balance. The shake in the wheel was gone finally and when I brake, it doesn't shake. Has been a year of steering wheel shake and braking shake. However, it still shakes my body from 35mph to 65mph. Not nearly as bad as before, but it's there and it gnaws at me.

15 years or so ago, I had a set of continentals on a different car that would never not shake after multiple balancing trips. I talked to the guy at the current shop if perhaps something was wrong with the tires. He said he didn't see anything odd about them and the rims also ran true. So, since I was fed up, I decided to try another set of tires of which the brand/model I had ran on 4 cars and probably 8 sets of the tires with zero issues and long life. Uniroyal tiger paws. Not the most "performance" tire, but they worked ok for me as I just drive. I don't race or screw around really, just a guy that likes a larger car with a v8 in it that cruises nice at 80mph all day long.

I just had the uniroyals installed... still shakes. The continentals have 6700 miles on them, they are a 60K tire. They still have the little nubs on the sides. I'm at the end of my rope a bit and am taking it to a Chrysler dealer mechanic in the next few days I hope to sort out the issue.

Seems to do it most predictably at 45mph whether the car is in gear and under power or in gear and decelerating or in neutral coasting.

I don't now if it's the trans, suspension, torque converter, rear end... but I'm pretty sure it's not the tires, rotors, wheels, brakes or my imagination.

I'm trying to read the threads regarding shaking, but they seem to trail off and no resolutions are posted. I'm not a mechanic at all, but I'm capable enough to change brakes/rotors and usually do that myself. Just since my jack didn't fit under this car, I decided to have it done elsewhere.
I had this something similar happen with my 2013 300C. Started around 62,000 miles. The vibration started out slight, normally as I was going up a grade. Happened intermittently, usually around 1900 rpm, sometimes a little higher. Would normally happen at speeds of 30 -35 or around 45 - 50. I took it to one Chrysler dealer, took for test drive, they searched and searched and could never figure it out after 2 different trips to this dealer. I even recorded the noise so the mechanics could listen to it.
Then I took it to South County Dodge in St. Louis at around 74,000 miles. The Service Manager was awesome. The noise actually happened when we took it for a drive. He figured it out. It was something in the transmission. I will try to look up my receipt to tell you exactly what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Chrysler dealer said one of the 50 mile old tires was bad... so, I'm taking it back to the place where I had the conti's removed with uniroyal tiger paws put on to have them switched back to the conti's. I asked the dealer to check the wheel bearings, ujoints, steering system, etc to try and rule out the cause of the issue that started me on this nightmare, but they found nothing suspect.

Not sure what I'll do with the uniroyals... living in an apartment and not having a truck limits what you can do with 4 20" tires... think I have a buddy that can store them in the rafters of his garage.

I do know this will be the last time I try to save a buck and get tires online... if I at least bought them at a tire shop, I could take it there for warranty issues, but as it is, I need to have them mark the "bad" tire then try and get it replaced or a refund and ship it myself for that one tire. I doubt I'll ever run the uniroyals, as they are prohibitively noisy. Awful tire howl at 70mph. Sounds like I'm driving a truck with offroad tires... even with the windows up. But, since they were mounted and driven on, I can't get a refund... perhaps throw them on craigslist for $100 and hope someone wants them, while I eat the $450 I spent on them.

Getting the conti's put back on tomorrow... then likely nothing over the holiday. If the issue comes back (which I have no reason to believe it won't), I'll take it back to the Chrysler dealer to see what they can find.
What you have been dealing with and are still experiencing is the result of out of round tires. I have experienced this with the last 3 sets of tires on my 2006 300C. I have gone through 3 different brands of tires and each set had at least 2 or 3 tires that were seriously out of round. They were rebalanced several times to no avail. It seems that most tires manufactured today are slightly out of round, some more than others. They can be perfectly balanced on a tire balancing machine yet when they are installed on the car they will make the vehicle shake. The shaking is worse at different speeds due to the harmonics of driveline vibrations. The only solution to this problem is to find a tire shop that still has the equipment to true your tires for you. Most don't perform that anymore due to the cost of a tire truing machine. I have had the last 3 sets of my tires trued and after they were trued the car drove completely smooth again. I use my 300 for my daily commute which is 150 miles on the freeway each day and having the tires trued was a huge benefit. After the tires were trued the ride quality was improved, the noise level dropped, all the shaking and vibration was gone and the tires required much less weight to balance them.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
What you have been dealing with and are still experiencing is the result of out of round tires. I have experienced this with the last 3 sets of tires on my 2006 300C. I have gone through 3 different brands of tires and each set had at least 2 or 3 tires that were seriously out of round. They were rebalanced several times to no avail.
Good grief. I haven't had that problem since I bought my first and last set of Big O tires. I should have known the "O" in their name stood for oval!

So, which 3 brands exhibited this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Michelin, Bridgestone and the last set was Yokohama. Each one of the Yokohamas experienced tread separation between 35,000-40,000 mile mark. Up till that point they were great tires after I trued them. Great tread design and very quiet on the road. Yokohama had no idea why they each did that and never gave me any information after I sent them the info on each tire and pictures of each tread separation. Unfortunately the tires made today are not of the same quality as in years past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts