Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay earlier i had written a thread about my 300c with 13K miles on it. now the car has 24K miles on it and i have had my first ACTUAL major problem.

From the left front the car has a rattling noise that is coming from outside.
So i took the car in to the dealer and they need to replace the power steering rack.

So the rack is not available and they have ordered for it.
This is the first substantial issue with this car, which leads me to believe the quality may be a problem.
I love this car and this does not sway me into thinking it is poor quality just yet.

I also have to put in new rotors as they have already warped after 24K miles.
i still have 30 of my brake pads left.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm assuming that you meant that you have 30% of your brake pads left. Warped rotors already? That sounds a little suspect, even with heavy useage of the brakes that sounds a bit early for warpage to me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There are a few of us with warped rotors...I will be trying Zeckhausen's brake bedding process to see if it helps. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I plan to keep mine 6-7 yrs, we all hoped the MB takeover would help Chrysler's quality, now it looks just the opposite which is a scary thought :eek:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, Steve...they buy an American comapany and Bamm, we drag em right down into the gutter! Actually I firmly believe some of DCX quality control issues stem from the fact they rely on suppliers for a large % of the parts only assembling the components of the vehicle. I know ALL companies do this (economies of scale) but Chrysler has historically done it more. Something in that price/quality equation HAS to give. Sometimes, I think they do't enforce quality as much as they would like to say they do. Again, we are talking about 30-40 thousand dollar cars here that with higher quality components and trim could be legitimately 50 thou. I plan on keeping my car a long while, too. I guess only time will tell. God willing we'll all be around and healthy enough to complain about it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so

so nobody has had any issues with the power steering rack? i would like to know if anyone near 24k miles has had any real work done on the car.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Geez, you people need to get out an drive some 80's Benz S-classes. Rotors at 24k? Pads that last beyond 10k? That's an unattainable dream for me.
Richard

·
Registered
182 Posts
Model 57 said:
I'm assuming that you meant that you have 30% of your brake pads left. Warped rotors already? That sounds a little suspect, even with heavy useage of the brakes that sounds a bit early for warpage to me.
Kings said:
I plan to keep mine 6-7 yrs, we all hoped the MB takeover would help Chrysler's quality, now it looks just the opposite which is a scary thought

Modern Chrysler products have higher than normal failures with rotors warping. Your best bet are some quality aftermarket rotors (preferably drilled). DO NOT just replace with Chrysler OEM (unless you do not mind the possibility of replacing them again). Proper brake bedding may help to minimize the rotor issues.
The Dailmler merger was never going to be a quality improvement prize for Chrysler. Mercedes quality, while better than Chrysler, has never been a highlite or hallmark of Mercedes. Still... I think we were all hoping for something better.

Guys - lets remember - this IS a Chrysler (with some resurected Benz parts). Chryslers have been notorious for sub-par quality. Particularly in the relm of tansmissions, rotors (more recently), A/C compressors, starters (older models), and seals (engine and transmission). ALL makers have some rep with parts and quality. We'd all love to beleive that we got a Lexus with beer money. It just aint so folks. Still... this car is a really good value. Anyone who buys a Chrysler is foolish to ignore an extended warranty. Get the best one you can - you'll nearly always be ahead financially for having it. With or without - make sure you stick it to 'em while under the manufacturers warranty (which on rotors is an exclussion of 1 yr or 12K miles - as I recall).

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
A word in Chrysler's defense. I have run over 35 chrysler vehicles in fleet operation over the past decade. My cost of operation has been the same as my experience with GM and better than with Ford.

On a personal note, my 300C is a daily driver and I drive it hard. I have had no significant problems with this car.

BTW, I followed Dave Z's instructions for bedding the brakes and was rewarded with a much firmer pedal feel. As Dave says, what many people diagnose as "warping" (pedal pulsation) is often caused by uneven brake material transfer. His bedding process may eliminate this. The rotors on the 300C are huge and well ventilated. Warping does not seem to be a very common problem after one year of production.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Northern Rider said:
A word in Chrysler's defense. I have run over 35 chrysler vehicles in fleet operation over the past decade. My cost of operation has been the same as my experience with GM and better than with Ford.

On a personal note, my 300C is a daily driver and I drive it hard. I have had no significant problems with this car.

BTW, I followed Dave Z's instructions for bedding the brakes and was rewarded with a much firmer pedal feel. As Dave says, what many people diagnose as "warping" (pedal pulsation) is often caused by uneven brake material transfer. His bedding process may eliminate this. The rotors on the 300C are huge and well ventilated. Warping does not seem to be a very common problem after one year of production.
Hey NR were can I find those instructions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rack and pinion rack replacement

The car has a new power steering rack ordered. THe current one makes rattling noise over bumps. has anyone else driven their car to 25k and experienced this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steering/suspension noise...

I have a 300-C with 4,000 miles. I live in Cleveland and there are lots of patched-up bumpy streets here. Ever since I got the car I have felt that the suspension is making too much noise when it is really working over these bumpy roads... sounds like there is a bowling ball rattling around up front somewhere. I can't feel anything through the wheel. I told the dealer service department that it sounded like there is a bad ball joint, or a loose strut... Naturally, the dealer says everything is fine. I know it is not fine and wonder if this could be traced to the steering rack problem that was mentioned in this thread. If I had a technical service bulletin, or some other solid reference, I might have some luck with the dealer. Aside from this, I love the car. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay

This is the exact problem i am reporting. The noise will get worse and at some point you will start feeling the rattling in the body of the car as it goes over bumps. I am sure by 24K miles the car will need a new power steering rack. I just got mine replaced so I am picking it up today . I will let you know if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nothing wrong with the power steering rack

Well what do you know. they replaced the power steering rack and the rattling was still there. which is very disappointing because the rack had nothing to do with the rattling. They are still looking into where the rattling is coming from, most likely the brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
spoke with dealer

Now the dealer says the rattling is come from the strut assembly which they will replace. I will let you guys know if that solves the problem.!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got the car back

Got the car back and the problem was indeed the right front strut assembly. Now that it is replaced the car drives beautifully!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Strut Assembly...

Great news! Did the dealer tell you what the problem was with the strut assembly? Do you have any idea if Chrysler Engineering is aware that they have a problem?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts