Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
The soft textured high quality non plasticky dash is more difficult to clean, for sure, I used a damp towel with good results. As far as protection is concerned I will wait on a recommendation.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Billy94Z said:
Subject says it all.
Yes, stay away from that stuff. I have only had my car for a little over a month and I have been using a cheap window cleaner that comes in the foamy can. It works good and I like to have that flat finish on the interior.

·
Registered
575 Posts
So far I have just been using a damp microfiber towel. However, my 6 year old hasn't spilt anything on the dash yet. I bought some cheapo MF towels at Target that I use for the cleaning. They work great for windows and the dashboard, but I wouldn't recommend them for the paint.

·
Registered
114 Posts
On a related note, what other cleaners do you suggest for the rest of the car, both inside and out... I'm on a waiting list for my Silver 300C, and need something to keep my mind occupied until mid-October... Anybody want help washing their car [& does drool count]? :rolleyes:

IndySilverC

·
Registered
588 Posts
First of all, the dash top is carefully finished to reduce glare. Anything which is put on it which may induce glare will caurse the worse problems you can imagine. Best, IMO, is a lightly damp clean towell. Keep that dull finish; that's its purpose -- reduce glare.

Same for the seats (yes, on the leather!). Supplement with some mild soap and water when needed. Keep all that other "junk" off them; the dye WILL bleed out with most of that stuff. The day of the older kinds of leather which wore like iron are long gone. If you want to mess up your leather, use some of those special leather preps. This current stuff just can't handle that stuff any longer.

And be cool about waxing and claying a newly finished car for a good bit. That includes Zaino. Paint, even clear coat, needs to season and cure.

As for windows, a spray bottle of water and white vinegar (about a cup to a gallon) will take care of both inside and out quite nicely. Test your additional tinting material inside, FIRST to be sure it can stand the vinegar mix.

Washing any car, good old water, liberally applied with minimal rubbing, is just great. When you do rub, do it with the length of the car. Avoid circular motions totally; eventually, that will cause very ugly noticeable scratch rings on the finish. Some specifically made auto soap may be OK, but make sure it's mild and not alkaline. See your owner's manual; DC is quite specific on what they recommend. And their rec's work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree...I originally tried Amorall from a spray bottle and that just made a mess.

I also used the pre-moistened Amorall wipes and had NO problems, They seem to get into the texture well, but it did take 2-3 wipes just for the dash, and then a 4th for the doors.

However, Ziano works great..., just more expensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Generally speaking, I would stick with mileshoover's advice, especially until this car gets older. For now, I wouldn't mess with any "car care" products. However, on older cars (5+ years old) you might want to try the following:

Vinyl - Vinylex by Lexol
Leather - Lexol Leather Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner
Paint - 3M Polishing Compound and 100 Grand Blitz Wax

All of these products differ from your average Pep-boys products in a lot of significant ways. For instance, most vinyl cleaners include silicon, which looks great at first but wears your vinyl prematurely. Vinylex does not contain silicon, but it will add a shine to your vinyl so use with caution.

matts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I recommend going with the tropi-care products. I talked with Steve the owner of the company at a car show yesterday, and reviewed his product line. This stuff is great, easy to apply, and remove. Talk to Steve and he'll let you know what to use.

Tropi-Care

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm not a Zaino fanatic, (Maguiars NXT is fine for me), but I'll tell you -- for leather care, NOTHING beats Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle." It does not leave a shine on the seats and it really, really, really smells like fine leather. It is a bit more expensive, but well worth it.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
kampsvilleboy said:
I'm not a Zaino fanatic, (Maguiars NXT is fine for me), but I'll tell you -- for leather care, NOTHING beats Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle." It does not leave a shine on the seats and it really, really, really smells like fine leather. It is a bit more expensive, but well worth it.
I am a Zainohaulic but I have not tried this on the leather and will give it a look. I have been pleased with Lexol on my other cars. DC says no conditioners, just a damp cloth or so. Miles had a post addressing this but I wonder about preserving this dead animal skin. Oh if only we could have the wonderful, thick buffalo hyde from the early 80s Euro BMW 745 turbo or the pigskin from the early 70s Citroen SM.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Try the Tropi-Care. The owner of the company is an ex zaino rep, and came up with his own personal product line that is much more bang for the buck. Priced better, and a better product IMHO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with LOTHP,the swiffer is awesome.

I agree that Armorall is not a good idea on the 300C dash. I'm using a really great product called Blackfire Interior Protectant. What's great about this stuff that that it's good for the entire interior, alluminum, leather, plastic, etc... It as a very low luster satin finish. It's water based polylmer that forms a UV as well as a moisture barrier.
I recommend it highly for the dash of the 300C. It can b purchased at www.properautocare.com

In regards to interior cleaners, check out Griotsgarage.com. Their Interior cleaner is also very versatile. It's good for leather, carpet, dash, etc..

Guys, I've tried them all and I've spend maybe 1000 hours researching and testing different product, these two are solid picks. When it comes to car care, it's my hobby and I do (humbly) consider myself an expert.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree that 303 offers better UV protection. However, the Blackfire offers even less shine than 303. I would rate Vinlyex as most shine, Blackfire the least and 303 in the middle.

For outdoor trim, I would go with 303 without a doubt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used the "turtle" vinyl protection stuff, really brings new life to the dash, and helps prevent the console from getting too dull. Of course some people do not like the "shiney" look, but that is personal preference. I feel like it brings new life to the darker plastics.

Other wise I swear by swiffer for general cleaning, and windex for windows, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Seems like Swiffer duster is a must-have for interior dust control. Thanks for the tip!
But diluted white vinegar on the inner windows? Wouldn't that permanently kill the new-car smell? :eek:
For the int/ext chromed accents---do I need something specific for that as well? [Ever noticed that some people leave marks everywhere like they just finished handling a pork chop--- :mad:]

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I keep a swiffer cloth in the car, great for getting rid of dust etc. Works great on the dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IndySilverC said:
Seems like Swiffer duster is a must-have for interior dust control. Thanks for the tip!
But diluted white vinegar on the inner windows? Wouldn't that permanently kill the new-car smell? :eek:
For the int/ext chromed accents---do I need something specific for that as well? [Ever noticed that some people leave marks everywhere like they just finished handling a pork chop--- :mad:]

Thanks for the info!
LMAO, that is funny. I had a roommate that was like that, anytime we went anywhere my passenger side looked like he had pork chop gloves on. WTF?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Pork chop gloves...Now that's friggin' histerical! I guess we all know someone like that. They ride in my wife's car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts