Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

It's still a Chrysler...!

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  DZeckhausen 
#1 ·
I was thinking the other day as my friend mentioned how he liked the new body style on the Altima. I replied quickly, "It's still a Nissan"...of course the Irony hit me...

Even though I have this wonderfully innovative design and body style (that is sure to wear out in the next few years with them building every other car off the same frame (magnum, charger, etc) Isn''t this still a Chrysler?

The same people who made the duster and sundance?
I'm sure we're reminded of that every time we visit the service department, but did they just slip a new cover on some new pieces and call it a miracle?

The cars run pretty well for the moment outside of a few oversights and glitches here and there, but (refer back to title)

#2 · (Edited)
Hah - You can have the altima and the new maxima for that matter too.. I test drove both when the new body style came out while car shopping w/ a friend - and there's still that god awful front-wheel pull thanks to the front wheel drive where if you stand on the gas pedal and the steering wheel isn't perfectly straight then it pulls the steering wheel to the left or right.... NO THANKS

And by the way.. the 300 isn't still "just a Chrysler"... Why? Because its got the german beef injection, baby... its really a German-American car more so than a plain old "Chrysler". I wouldn't in a million years own 'just a chrysler' because they are and have always been crap. The german influence translates into cars being produced that aren't going to be recalled like one fears of most american brands of cars w/ retarded design blunders like poorly mounted gastanks or a missing O ring somewhere.

#3 ·
300PMP said:
I was thinking the other day as my friend mentioned how he liked the new body style on the Altima. I replied quickly, "It's still a Nissan"...of course the Irony hit me...

Even though I have this wonderfully innovative design and body style (that is sure to wear out in the next few years with them building every other car off the same frame (magnum, charger, etc) Isn''t this still a Chrysler?

I'm sure we're reminded of that every time we visit the service department, but did they just slip a new cover on some new pieces and call it a miracle?

The cars run pretty well for the moment outside of a few oversights and glitches here and there, but (refer back to title)
Relax, Kid...

I'm BUYING one of these new 300C's, an SRT8, no less.

Things change, and sometimes, for the better. In this case, I believe, a LOT better.

I haven't owned a new Chrysler Corp product in 30 years. I've driven a lot of premium American and German makes since then. I'm buying an SRT8 because I like what I see and drive, and so does a lot of other people.

...and, I'm buying it as a reward to Chrysler for a job well done.

"God Loves a Sinner who Sins No More..."

LJB ;)

#4 ·
....and a Corvette is still a Chevrolet ...and a Viper is still a Dodge ...and so on. There are exceptions from even some of the most unexceptional of manufacturers.

I never thought a "Chrysler" product would be in my garage, but then along came the 300... Chrysler's exception.
I guess I subscribe to the philosophy of our own II kings who said:
"Maintain a rigid state of flexibility"

#5 ·
HEMEEE said:
....and a Corvette is still a Chevrolet ...and a Viper is still a Dodge ...and so on. There are exceptions from even some of the most unexceptional of manufacturers.

I never thought a "Chrysler" product would be in my garage, but then along came the 300... Chrysler's exception.
I guess I subscribe to the philosophy of our own II kings who said:
Bingo.

Name a brand, at some point, they made a gem-Ford, GM, Chrysler, Dodge, Pontiac, heck, AMC made the Javelin and GTX.

I'd rather drive a gem than walk and complain about Pintos, Pacers, etc.

#6 ·
Don't miss the point, cause this is far off from Viper land. I'm just saying, anyone can come up with a slick new exterior design, and yes, I know we all took a calculated risk and couldn't help but bite on what seems like the deal of a lifetime. But like mamma used to always say..."You get what you pay for"

You didn't buy the last 300M did you? oh wait, didn't have the hemi...okay.

#7 ·
300PMP said:
Isn''t this still a Chrysler?

If you think that the 300 is "still a Chrysler" and made by the "same people who made the Duster and Sundance" then you don't know Jack about your car or Chrysler or automotive news and history! And that is just a shame!

Do you live in the Bizarro World because I can not recall Daimler-Benz, parent company of Mercedes-Benz owing Chrysler when the Duster was made?! :confused:

#8 · (Edited)
E55 KEV said:
If you think that the 300 is "still a Chrysler" and made by the "same people who made the Duster and Sundance" then you don't know Jack about your car or Chrysler or automotive news and history! And that is just a shame!

Do you live in the Bizarro World because I can not recall Daimler-Benz, parent company of Mercedes-Benz owing Chrysler when the Duster was made?! :confused:
That's about a quarter of the car...

and yes I do live in Bizarro World...

There is no traffic in DC, The Redskins will make the playoffs, and 4 more years..wait :confused:

Attachments

#9 ·
300PMP said:
Don't miss the point, cause this is far off from Viper land. I'm just saying, anyone can come up with a slick new exterior design, and yes, I know we all took a calculated risk and couldn't help but bite on what seems like the deal of a lifetime. But like mamma used to always say..."You get what you pay for"

You didn't buy the last 300M did you? oh wait, didn't have the hemi...okay.
I made my point but I believe you missed your own... I feel I got more than I paid for in many respects.

#11 · (Edited)
That's the problem...people are so interested in getting their point across that they miss any other perspective. Others just try to find a way to be disagreable. Congratulations, I'm glad you made your point.

I do however appreciate having so many people around that do know much more about cars. Those who share their wealth graciously, I once again thank you.

#12 ·
JustForFun said:
300PMP,

I have to ask - WHAT TIRES ARE THOSE!?!?!

I luv em! :)

Please tell me.

JFF:D
Aren't they Yummy!!...Can't wait to suit em up, and I got em for a steal...$1300 includes Perrellis, sorry for spelling.

Private mail me, and I'll share. I'm not trying to blow em up yet.

#14 ·
I have never owned a new Chrysler, I bought a used Jeep from a buddy which conviently got me a 1K owner loyalty rebate on the 300C, otherwise no other Chrysler products in my previous stable. Were it not for the C, I would still NEVER own a Chrysler. I have owned a car for every year I have been living (43) and only 6 American, I put my money where my mouth is, BMW, MB, Saab, Alfa etc. I am an import (Euro) guy, I love the way they drive. The C is among few cars I have owned that I am not tired of with a wandering eye after 8 months. I look forward to driving it daily, my Alfa an Citroen were of a similar ilk. It is a Chrysler, just look at the wing but it is not the same old chrysler (which would not be bad if we were taking about a 62 Imperial or a 383 Fury). It's the 80s Lebaron, Diplomat, Eagle Vision, and other POC cars that give Chrysler such a poor history. This C is a different animal, the look and style (shizzle) and all that power make it unique. As one who would never even look at a Chrysler, the fact that I (General Manager of the Universe) own one speaks volumes about this car.

#15 · (Edited)
300PMP said:
That's about a quarter of the car...
So you think the other 75% is still made by the people that built the Duster 30 years ago? :D

That is not the whole story, yes the LX chassis has around 25% parts 'derived' from Mercedes technololgy, however, the whole car (100%) is designed and engineered by Daimler-Chrysler Engineers who took over every sincle aspect of building Chrysler products since 1998.

The car is 100% Daimler-Chrysler just like a Mercedes-Benz is 100% Daimler-Chrysler designed, built and engineered. Without Mercedes-Benz and Daimler-Chrysler the car would not be such a hit and probaly not 2 of them in my driveway. :D

#16 ·
E55 KEV: You got that right, my friend.. 100% agree.. Them GERMANS don't mess around!

#17 ·
300PMP said:
That's the problem...people are so interested in getting their point across that they miss any other perspective. Others just try to find a way to be disagreable. Congratulations, I'm glad you made your point.

I do however appreciate having so many people around that do know much more about cars. Those who share their wealth graciously, I once again thank you.
Well Lord knows I wouldn't want to disagree with someone on a foum for Heaven's sake!!!
Have a nice day! (how is that for gracious?)

#19 ·
U Need To Get A "c" Then They Call It The "hemi C"

Lol

#20 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
I have never owned a new Chrysler, I bought a used Jeep from a buddy which conviently got me a 1K owner loyalty rebate on the 300C, otherwise no other Chrysler products in my previous stable. Were it not for the C, I would still NEVER own a Chrysler. I have owned a car for every year I have been living (43) and only 6 American, I put my money where my mouth is, BMW, MB, Saab, Alfa etc. I am an import (Euro) guy, I love the way they drive. The C is among few cars I have owned that I am not tired of with a wandering eye after 8 months. I look forward to driving it daily, my Alfa an Citroen were of a similar ilk. It is a Chrysler, just look at the wing but it is not the same old chrysler (which would not be bad if we were taking about a 62 Imperial or a 383 Fury). It's the 80s Lebaron, Diplomat, Eagle Vision, and other POC cars that give Chrysler such a poor history. This C is a different animal, the look and style (shizzle) and all that power make it unique. As one who would never even look at a Chrysler, the fact that I (General Manager of the Universe) own one speaks volumes about this car.
Quite Correct...It was the Mid 70's to 80 Crap that Chrysler Corp turned out in droves that drove most serious car owners away...

Never Say Never, though...

I have a splendid example in my Garage of a previous Chrysler high water mark...A flawless 1958 Plymouth Fury.

Everything operates in cycles...Cars, also.

LJB ;)

#22 ·
I've owned four new Chrysler products in the last twenty years, and each has been well-made, reliable and satisfied my expectations. To the extent the merger with M-B has saved Chrysler's skin I am grateful, but Chrysler's penchant for unique design and technology predates M-B. My turbocharged 1985 Laser, for example, or my 2000 "cab-forward" Concorde which I just traded this weekend for a dark blue 300C.

I only have 200 miles on my new baby, but I have every reason to expect yet another satisfying ownership experience. This car is a hoot to drive!

#23 ·
I'm relatively younger than most of the members on the forum, so my car history isn't quite as extensive as the majority of you but my lineup looked like
89 Peugot..92 Toyota Celica..00 Jeep Grand Cherokee(Lease)..02 Toyota Avalon(Lease)..02 MB C230(Lease)..95 Celica..05 300

My mother has had 6 MBs in my lifetime. From the days of 180s and now has the 05 E320.

And I don't think anyone expected to get MB quality in this car, yet they come fairly close. Only complaints really lay in the leather and paint, but still that's just me being spoiled.

The electronic transmission and injection is really cool and neat to drive with, but scares me...cause if it's anything like the MBs, don't let that alternator belt get loose or worn, or you'll notice you have no (Power steering) :eek: or anything else for that matter.

The suspension is also amazing...love how the car crawls up the road.
It's true this is a car that you yearn and anticipate driving when you're not.
I look forward to each encounter as if it were my first love.
I pamper and spoil her like she was an only child.
And she has a strut that exudes sophistication and class.

It was love at first sight.

Hear hear to evolution...Congrats DCX ;)

#25 ·
I wouldn't be bragging about the German parts of the car and their quality. Mercedes has had horrible quality for the last couple years. They went from near the top in quality, to near the bottom.

I'm more proud of the American parts of the car, and Chrysler's quality. I've owned almost exclusively Chrysler cars, (except for 3 years with a 2002 Monte Carlo SS) and have not had any major problems with ANY of them. My family has all owned Chryslers for most of their lives, with very little problems.

#26 · (Edited)
Agreed, MIke. Many of us have purchased the 300 because it is a Chysler, not in spite of it. In my case, the decision boiled down to the 300C and a Cadillac CTS. Even with only $1,000 of the list price (the Chrysler Financing deal), it was still the better value. The CTS is maddening because many of the options you'd expect in a car of this class are only available as part of two very pricey "sport" and "luxury" packages. Having not driven a rear-driver since I was a teenager, I wanted stablity control - but had to pay $2,000 to get it on the CTS as part of the "sport" package. The 300C? Standard. But then my wife pointed out that the CTS lacked a power passenger seat (in a $35,000-plus car!), and she also wanted heated seats. Can't blame her - it's a nice feature. But it takes another $3,000 shelled out to get those, and a few woody bits, in the CTS "luxury" package. The 300C? Standard. The topper is that upgrading from a manual to an automatic in the CTS costs yet another $1,200.

The 300C, even without the normal Detroit-style discounts, is simply a terrific value. Sure, I can see where they cut costs in the interior. But it still looks better inside than the non-luxury version of the CTS, and the advantage in handling possessed by the CTS is offset by the amazing off-the-line performance of the 300C.

I say if you gotta have a mid-life crisis, this is the way to go! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.