Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer called me today with the diagnosis: Cylinder #8 has no compression which is causing the car not to run.

DCX has instructed the dealer to "tear down" the engine and uncover the problem.

I do not want this car if they have to tear down the engine with 488 miles on it. Unfortunately the "Lemon Law" does not apply yet as a "reasonable number of repair attempts" have not been made.

My concerns:
- Local techs tearing down my car that have never seen the 6.1L
- Not using the SRT components when reassembling
- Taking their time on this due to it's complexity
- It never being the same and if it is I will always think it's not

Any chance of Chrysler acknowleging their f' up and buying back the car without the Lemon Law process?

All feedback welcomed.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
The components aren't interchangeable, thus I wouldn't be afraid of getting non-SRT-8 components. Could be lots of different problems, all of which should put you back to new. Hole in piston head? Brocken rocker, leaving valve hung open? Bent valve? Ring problem? Bent pushrod? Rings not installed during mfg process? Too many options to worry about really. Any of them can be fixed by any mechanic. It's probably easier to fix the hardware (old school) than it is to fix wiring and computer problems (new school). Keep your chin up!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hang in there. Get your rental car from them and just relax. It's just an engine and they should be competent enough to pull it apart.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New engine

Dealer seemed to suggest that they'll most likely drop a new engine in order to take mine to analyze to determine what went wrong and to use it at a test case. Seems far fetched.

And the worst part of it all.....the loaner I'm getting tomorrow is a PTCruiser. I will be beating them up to get a better ride for the 2-3 weeks.

Somebody kill me!

·
Registered
677 Posts
With the support of some of the DCX insiders within this forum, Id say thats your best bet. Take up that offer down in Irvine perhaps so that a few folks that frequent these boards can keep an eye on the project?

I'm sure someone can pull some strings to make sure your car gets the attention it deserves. Not to mention, I imagine your car has already made some waves among the DCX hallways raising some questions.

I do believe you deserve a 100k extended warranty for free after this ordeal. My buddy had a Transmission go out on his Ford F350 after only 1k miles and we negotiated an extended Warranty into the repair. They also compensated him on his payments until the car was repaired.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
I would insist they replace the engine....Probably unlikely, but worth getting insistant over.

[edit]

our posts crossed. I see they said they suggested this. DEFINITELY get them to do this. You don't want internal headaches. As far as installing an engine that's all just busy work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A sad tale and situation indeed. I'll bet that they'll have to "send out" for a replacement SRT 6.1 Hemi from Brampton (or wherever the "built" engine supply is). That's gonna slow things down a bit - ya think!
Depending on what they found, I might want the option to see if they can fix it there and then give me a 100K mile extended warranty (assuming that parts are more available and will get me the car back alot sooner). I'm not so sure that a 100K extended warranty will be given with a brand new engine - but maybe...

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Rebuild is entirely unacceptable!!! Demand a NEW engine and accept nothing less. Also demand a no charge 100K bumper to bumper warranty. If prudent and reasonable measures fail, it may be necessary to contact a local TV station (troubleshooter) for some ugly publicity.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
IMHO they'll do something else maybe, but NOT give you an extended warranty. They know the car has a higher chance of being fixed again and they don't want to have to do that.

I think YOU should purchase the extended warranty now if you haven't already.

·
Registered
563 Posts
300, look closely, some places, like MD, have a calender time in addition to a number of attempts. Something to keep an eye on, if it starts looking like a long term thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, I feel your pain. This has to be a toughie to deal with. Lets hope that things work out for the best.

I do find it strange though some of the comments. THIS IS A SERIOUS MALADY. Some of the posts almost look like it came from a DCX employee.

Ask for the engine replacement, you have EVERY right to be very, very concerned about this. Failing the engine replacement, I would ask for the ext-warranty as compensation for your pain and anguish.

When the Ford Cam-Sprocket thing hit, they spent the better part of a year claiming the issue did'nt exist and was just a figment of a bunch of gear heads imagination. Ford replaced very few of the Yamaha engines (most required total rebuilds due to the damage left by the cam-slippage).

THIS FOR YOU, AND FOR US ALL IS TROUBLING. NO F***ING DOUBT ABOUT IT.

MichSRT8

·
Registered
136 Posts
michsrt8 said:
THIS FOR YOU, AND FOR US ALL IS TROUBLING. NO F***ING DOUBT ABOUT IT.
Lets not overreact. Internal combustion engines aren't foolproof, and something could have easily happend during the assembly process (which is what I expect). You never know, but 1 failure isn't enough IMO to figure all the SRT-8s are gonna do it.

CUL8R, make sure to DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Everything the dealer does, document it, keep track of the repairs made, and the diagnosis as it relates to it. Cover your a$$ in case you have to get rough with them, though I'm sure it'll never come to that. I 'm thinking they'll tear it down and see what's going on and fix it if it's minor. I'm hoping they'll just replace the motor for you.

Good luck bud, my thoughts are with you on this, chin up dude :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Loaner car.

On the bright side I was able to upgrade from a PT Cruiser to a Jeep Liberty. Now all I need to do is start cruising West Hollywood or hanging out at a WNBA game.

Where's Kevorkian when you need him????

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
300CUL8R said:
Dealer seemed to suggest that they'll most likely drop a new engine in order to take mine to analyze to determine what went wrong and to use it at a test case. Seems far fetched.

And the worst part of it all.....the loaner I'm getting tomorrow is a PTCruiser. I will be beating them up to get a better ride for the 2-3 weeks.

Somebody kill me!
Keep the faith, 300CUL8R . I am confident DCX will put a new engine in, as your dealer suggests. And they want to find out what went wrong.

The entire SRT-8 program at DCX gives enthusiasts superior, competition quality components at a bargain price. All SRT's are low volume sales. They create the performance image for the company on the street, at the track, and in the gearhead communtiy - such as on this forum. They don't want rumours of engine failure going around.

As goodwill, they should give you something nice to drive in the interim. Hang in there!

·
Registered
136 Posts
LMAO at that WNBA comment.......nice :D

They ought to hook you up with a C or a Dodge pickup or something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My guess is they won't give you a new engine, but only rebuild it. With Vipers, I haven't heard of ever getting new engines for a broken one. They are usually sent into a place called Arrow, I believe, to get rebuilt. If they don't replace Viper engines, I see a small chance they will replace this one. Story goes that the Arrow rebuilt ones come back stronger than new.

Instead of pushing TOO hard on a NEW engine, maybe bargain for some of the upgrades MOPAR has in their catatog, such as the air intake, either at cost or free. Just a thought. Either that or the extended warranty at a reduced cost or free.

I think I would buy the extended warranty if all else fails, then you have 70 to 100K of worry free driving.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I understand everyone's desire to have the engine REPLACED rather than being rebuilt but I feel the need to clarify my stance on this. You people are aware that this particular engine didnt manifest itself out of nowhere, it was "built" much like it can be "rebuilt" just as well as a replacement motor.

Your engines were not birthed by some almighty SRT god in detroit. They were assembled by hands that build them for a living. IMO a rebuilt motor is going to be as reliable as a factory motor especially with DCX paying attention. They don't want 300CUL8R coming back... They want to resolve the issue. It's a brand new car and reflects bad upon them if they DON'T address the situation.

300CUL8R is not being given the run around it seems and it also appears as if they are communicating well, so why the pitchforks and torches? His vehicle is a victim of the assemblyline, much like many of us 300c owners.

I'm running a fully rebuilt motor from 1961 in my Continental. It runs like a top and has so for 14k miles. Original block....

I still recommend demanding an extended warranty as compensation...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Extended Warranty

Just finished drafting the letter to DCX demanding the extended warranty. If and when I get the car back I will always be thinking what's next and that warranty will help alleviate those concerns. (somewhat).

Anyone have a non. PO Box address for DCX customer service. I want this going via UPS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You would think by now every 5 star shop would have a fiber scope camera. They could stick it in the #8 spark plug hole and tell if it's a bad piston or rod or "maybe" even a valve or lifter.

·
Registered
750 Posts
DCX obviously want to tear down not only to solve this for you, but to see if they have a potential problem with other SRT8 engines, or if this is isolated occurrence

I would put my money on a tight valve to guide fit - probably both within tolerance but a guide hole at the low end of tolerance (small) and a valve at the high end of tolerance (large). The engine is not run in yet, and the valve has siezed in the guide, possibly touched the piston also, damaging the piston, and bending the valve.

Seen it before a number of times.

As soon as it is apart get down there and see what it is for youself/all of us.
At that time report back and ask for advice.

Zilla

1 - 20 of 46 Posts