Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!! :)

I'm no Jeremy Clarkson fan - that's for sure.

That said...

Click on THIS to read a short 'test drive' article on the Chrysler 300C CRD Touring.

Here's a bit of what he said...

"What’s not to like? Lots, actually. Chrysler was at pains to point out that this car is not – as I’ve previously claimed – based on the old Mercedes E-class. They say they considered this idea but dismissed it."

IS THAT THE TRUTH?

Craig!! :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Clarkson would pan anything with a Chrysler badge on it just because it said Chrysler on it. He is an entertainer with an agenda, he is not a serious auto journalist.

I have read (don't recall where) that the LX was on the drawing boards with it's owns suspension and the E class bits were forced down Chrysler's throat by Benz.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson is an idiot its a well know fact that the suspension is based on the old gen e class, the transmissions in the 5.7 is from merades im not to sure about the diesels i would amagine that they are to, the front seat design is also mercades design and there are few other things too.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
As much as I enjoy watching TopGear and as much as I enjoy Clarkson's commentary on the show. I realize where his hear lies... He is not a fan of American vehicles much in the same way that I am not fond of Brittish vehicles. He can bash all day long, so can I... The Britts have a very spotty history of making any auto that isn't rubbish (as he would say) :)

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
There's a lot of things in the 300 that were designed with the help of Mercedes, by Mercedes, or by other companies for Mercedes - most of the suspension is Mercedes, the signal stalks are mercedes, the column and the steering gear = mercedes, the transmission was mercedes derived, but it was originally a 6 speed version.

The suspension also, a lot of the other components were not quite - but sorta, the ESP system for example.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
In that bmw M5 vs. the srt8 video he says a chrysler 300 he drove in the past "was absolute rubbish". With that, you can tell the dude just doesn't like chrysler's, how he goes on and on. It's annoying actually because he is so outright biased and doesn't even try to hide it.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Of course he's absolutely biased.. We all are to some degree.. I'm biased towards the big three, I have been guilty many times in my life of saying the German's make great cars "when they run" and when they break, look out.. And that the Asian companies make great vanilla beans but they also will do anything in thier power to perpetuate the "perceived quality" lie that thier cars are superior to anything else on the road (when a quick search of TSB's and Recalls will prove otherwise).

But I would at least "consider" ownning any vehicle that suits my needs. I don't beleive the big three build inferior cars and I don't beleive Honda has superior interiors either. I've been in brand new Honda's with terrible interior pannel gaps, trim lines that looked like a beaver chewed the gap into the part etc..

Jeremy also hates the Corvette with a passion, even though the current Z06 holds the second fastest lap times at the "Ring" of any car ever made (and did so on street tires).

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Lets not forget that this one person's opinion. I like Jeremy Clarkson because he's not afraid to say what he thinks no matter who he pi$$es off. At least he's got a spine - not like some motoring journos who are obviously on the pay roll of some manufacturers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
He tested a Touring!

The "C" handling is very different that a Touring just like the SXT and the R/Ts are different on the Magnums.

CMIUC :burnout:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
He tested a Touring!

The "C" handling is very different that a Touring just like the SXT and the R/Ts are different on the Magnums.

CMIUC :burnout:
300C Touring in Europe and the rest of the world is a 300C station wagon. All models are 300C, including the 2.7L & 3.5L V6s (sold in Italy and Spain I think). As for which model has both front and rear anti-sway bars, I am not sure as I think each European country will get slightly different specs. The Brits on this board will know.

Jeremy Clarkson is still upset that Chrysler Corp. bought bankrupt Rootes Group, merged it with Simca and promptly closed down all of the factories in the UK. Don't expect him to say anything good about Chrysler ever. In his view Americans are poor managers, designers and engineers (unless parts are of German origin, then they're ok). And boy do their manufacturing processes suck.
:pat:

·
Registered
364 Posts
He panned the Crossfire as well but gave a good review to the 320SLK so go figure.

As I told those on the Crossfire forum, I know where he lives and where he gets his cars serviced... not kidding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts