Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the Jet 180 TSTAT for my 5.7 HEMI, and I had been reading that combined with DS INTUNE, its a good upgrade. Using the intune I should apparently decrease the fan speeds by 20. Is this correct? I'm wondering because here in Canada we use Celsius not farenheit.

Most people say the engine is stock at around 205 F, but my engine is between 89-93 C (192-199 F). Given this, should I still lower everything by 20? Or is my INTUNE in celsius? In which case I would have to lower it by 7 C.

I just don't want to mess anything up & I want to take full advantage of this upgrade.

Finally, is this TSTAT easy or difficult to install. I read somewhere about a ziplock bag needed to catch the leaking coolant and then pouring it back in.. sounds like nasty work.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
You decrease the coolant temperatures that trigger the fans on and you can do it by 5 degree F increments or just set them to come on at a particular coolant temperature for the LS & HS fan.

My fan settings with the Diablosport are:

All Conditions, LS On @ 191 degrees F

All Conditions, HS On at @ 201 degrees F

You'll have 6 settings to make for 3 different parameters for each of your two fans.

Here is an excerpt from our knowledge base here on Predator settings for the fans:

The OEM thermostat is 203o F for emission reasons. This sounds like a great example of a useful adjustment, wouldn’t you agree? Here is an example for a Perf CAI 91 Oct canned tune adjustment. If you do not have a Cold Air Intake or run higher octane fuel, select the Canned Tune that best fits your fuel and mods.

Plug in the Predator, choose Performance Tunes > Diablo Tunes > (your current tune) > Modify Tune > Modify Parameters > Cooling Fans AC Off. You will now have six entries, (five showing, one you have to scroll down to). The first entry is “High MPH HS Fan On”. Select this and you will be presented with a horizontal bar graph style slider, it is labeled 150 to 230 degrees, adjustable in 1 degree increments. The current value is likely 198.99 (or as high as 219.39!). Seems a little high for the set point of turning on the high-speed fan when you have a 180o F thermostat. Use the Left Arrow button to bring it down 198 degrees, and then press the Enter Key.
You will be returning to the Cooling Fans AC Off menu, and note there is now an Asterisk “*” in front of the one you just altered. This proves your change and alerts you that this menu item has been changed. Repeat this process for all six of the entries, lowering each by 5 degrees. Make sure to scroll down to the last entry in the list, “Low MPH MS Fan On”. This entry is hidden until you scroll down. You might note each temperature setting has some random decimal amount – disregard this it has to do with the hexadecimal nature of the PCM’s stored values.

Press the Escape key once to return to the Modify Parameters Menu. Now press Arrow Down once and choose “Cooling Fans AC On”. There are three selections here, make the same adjustment to lower the fan on for each.

Remember, a good place to start is LS Fan On at 191 degrees F, HS Fan On at 198 degrees F ALL CONDITIONS. You can play with the settings to suit you if you want but below 191 degrees F as an ON setting for all conditions, your fans will run almost all the time. I know folks who have their LS fans set at 198 (all conditions) and HS fan set at 204 (all conditions).

When you are done, press Escape to back up to the Modify Parameters menu. If you are comfortable with the selections here, you can make other changes as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks so much for the quick & detailed response. So I'll go ahead and try your settings of LS at 191 & HS at 201, however I'm still wondering what people on the DS forums were saying to just lower everything by 20... That seems extreme. This seems more reasonable.

Also, are there any drawbacks to a 180 tstat or these settings? I won't get any check engine lights will I?

Lastly, when I install the thing, can I take it to the dealer and have them install it, so they can then top off the cooling fluid? Or is it not recommended for them to do it?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Lowering every thing by 20 is a not necessarily the right thing to do depending on what your stock settings are before you modify the tune. You can see where yours are set when you first go to that menu. If it's set at 203 degrees (which I suspect) lowering it 20 degrees gets you to 183 degrees and I can guarantee you your fans will run all the time after the car has warmed up to operating temperature. If your stock setting is 233, lowering by 20 is not enough.

Look for an exact setting that works for you and your car, which is why I recommended the LS and HS fan settings above. As far as the DS forum, I've seen some pretty incredible claims and outrageous recommendations there. My recommendation is made based on practical experience with setting up at least 5 LX vehicles with the DSP canned tunes and having two vehicles of my own (Ram & SRT8) with Predators and CMR tunes.

You should not get any CEL's with this fan temp modification.

If your dealer is amenable to doing it I don't see why not but you can do it as well. It's easy to do and a lot cheaper that way.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Also, are there any drawbacks to a 180 tstat or these settings? I won't get any check engine lights will I?
You don't say where you live in Canada, but in the colder regions you may have an issue with the engine not getting up to 180*F in the time allotted, which will bring up the diagnostic trouble code P0128.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
You don't say where you live in Canada, but in the colder regions you may have an issue with the engine not getting up to 180*F in the time allotted, which will bring up the diagnostic trouble code P0128.
Agreed... it's possible, but people suffer with this more with the 170 stats and I hear of the 180's only occasionally causing it. Mine had a 170 in her the last year I lived there and she never saw snow but did see some WELL below freezing days and I never threw a code. I would idle it for a few mins and the drive in Autostick till the temps spiked a little. Good point though, it is possible, some peoples do, but it's nothing to be concerned with! :fing02:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did the 170* Swap and dropped everything on my Intune by 20*. No Complaints I do get the P0128 Code from time to time due to when i leave my office lots of Stop and go traffic.

My Car only gets about 194* if im driving it hard at any time. Used to Run 212* with the factory 203* thermostat.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I tried setting mine all down by 20* and it's too much the fans were on for too long. set mine at LS 194*, MS + HS 202*, working good for me

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I live in Toronto, so Southern Canada. I usually have to wait 5 mins for my engine to warm up in the winter anyways, so I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I live in Toronto, so Southern Canada. I usually have to wait 5 mins for my engine to warm up in the winter anyways, so I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.
I was in London...just idle her for a few more mins and then use autostick for a few mins till operating temp is reached... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I suspend a 6" wide barrier made from cardboard and a black plastic garbage bag in front of the A/C condenser to restrict air flow. It works for me.

Reactions: silver06hemic

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i'm taking it in to Midas today to get the thermostat replaced and get the coolant flushed / replaced. I will go with Maddog's settings of 201 HS and 191 LS, hopefully that works out fine. I just hope there won't be any check engine lights / warnings. If there are would a simple fan settings change fix it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, its installed and works great but I have a question about the MS fan settings.

In the Intune there is AC Fans ON & AC Fans OFF

For AC Fans ON there are 6 settings & below are the numbers I put as Maddog mentioned, however I don't know what to put for MS so I put same as HS. Should it be in between LS & HS?

LS Low - 191
LS High - 191
MS Low - 201 (should it be 196???)
MS High - 201 (should it be 196???)
HS Low - 201
HS High - 201

For AC Fans OFF there were only 3 settings and below are the numbers I used. Again I'm unsure of what to put for MS

LS - 191
MS - 201 (should it be 196???)
HS - 201

Anyone know what I should put for MS? Thanks!

PS: My engine temp before the diablo tune was 89 degrees C. This past winter I noticed it got to be as high as 92 - 94 degrees C. Now after the above settings with the Jet 180 I'm getting 89 at idle and around 84 when cruising.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
This is covered a million times on here bud, even a few times this week in a thread called 'cooling issues' , but to Dave you looking set ms to the same as low as you have no mid fans period. If the highs don't turn on at the set point then move the ms to high temp on, sometimes they vary a little! Either way there are no ms fans... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts