1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Info available here.

Part # Application
90404 2004-2005 Magnum and 300C with V-8 Hemi
90404s 2004-2005 Magnum and 300C with V-8 Hemi using 91 or higher octane + modified exhaust
90405 2004-2005 Magnum and 300 with V-6
90405s 2004-2005 Magnum and 300 with V-6 using 91 or higher octane + modified exhaust

$309.95 for stage 1 $319.95 for stage 2 (s models)
Intitial Stage2 Test Results courtesy of RonneyF over at dodgemagnum.net:
Test summary (OPINION ONLY). $320 + $30 shipping + 2 hours of my time $480 = $830 of total crap. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Unless my ECU is in the special classes taking the short Magnum to school, and takes more time than a plug-in to learn the chip, I got negligible differences.

OK - These numbers are based on ESP off, dead stop to WOT (no power braking, shifting, etc. to try to be fair). 2 runs without, 2 runs with chip.

Without chip:

1/4 = 15.00 at 91.1 mph; 0-60 = 6.57
1/4 = 14.85 at 92.3 mph; 0-60 = 6.42

With chip (30 minutes later):

1/4 = 14.8 at 92.4 mph; 0-60 = 6.42
1/4 = 14.72 at 94.2 mph; 0-60 = 6.37

All done at same level blacktop, 46 degrees outside (according to car).

Before trashing the chip too much, I will say that after the battery reconnect, I half-assed the throttle calibration, although it didn't feel too bad from where I had it before the chip install. I'll work on that a little and see if the numbers get better. Also, I'm pending a ticket right now, so I'm trying to keep the potential for another one to a minimum. I'll do a little more testing later. As of now, I'd say save the money and see what else comes out. Maybe it will get quicker as the computer learns??? Hard to tell with only 2 runs.
Not very impressive for $300.

Keep in mind Ronney is running Magnaflow Catback exhaust and a "CAI"...

I'll be saving my money until any sort of dyno graphs are produced....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will be getting my hands on one in the next couple of days. I will be using it with a borla exhaust, Cold Air Intake, and the dynatech Headers when they arrive. I will let you all know how it goes. I will also be at Fudruckers on the 19th in Ca. at the 300cfourms get togather.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Joe300c,
He means the one next to Knots Berry Farms.

Thanks for the update fellas. Nice to see that your looking out for our best interest.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Fudruckers in Bueana Park at 11:00am.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Linda, I wouldn't worry too much about this guy, as you will probably find he's a lttle guy with a big mouth who hides behind a keyboard, so go to that disgusting sounding named restaurant and enjoy yourself!!!! My god I sounded like joe for a minute!!!! :rolleyes: :D

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
Linda, I wouldn't worry too much about this guy, as you will probably find he's a lttle guy with a big mouth who hides behind a keyboard, so go to that disgusting sounding named restaurant and enjoy yourself!!!! My god I sounded like joe for a minute!!!! :rolleyes: :D
Aww Mikeyjohn, THAT could never be! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
rogue said:
I'll be saving my money until any sort of dyno graphs are produced....
Very good idea. I tried one of their 'joke' products a few years back on my 5.9 Ram with zippo results...in fact it threw a check engine light that reset itself after I disconnected the battery, removed the Jet unit, and put all back to stock. Ended up getting a full Mopar ECU upgrade which worked much better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i never trust plug in engine management products... for example:

in my other "world" (subarus), we had a dyno day at a local shop. One car had a plug in module, and after making a few runs with the "STAGE 2" map, he was shocked, because he was making less HP than it should in stock form. sure enough, they reloaded the stock maps etc and the car put down something like 10 HP and 15 TQ less than the "Stage 2" plug in.

The real HP is gained when you have your car "Tuned". for exaple:

with my sti, i upgraded pretty much all the bolt on parts under the hood. But in order to run the turbo, injectors and everything I needed EM (Engine Management), because the computer can't know that i changed all the parts and wouldn't know how to run them all. My only choice at the time was to have a place in portland send me a Pre-Tuned ECU so that I could at least run around with all my parts on. installed the ECU and dyno'd the car at 275 AWHP... very disappointed, I realized that althoughthe numbers were low, it was because I needed to have the car trully tuned using my car, not a general idea of what my car was.

Flew a guy out from texas to tune my car, and after 5 hours of dyno runs, he got the number up to 341 AWHP, and he said that if we hadn't been kicked off because they were closing he could have gone to 360.

so, although a pre-tuned ECU or plug-in module can "change" your ECU, chances are it won't mean or do anything... to get true HP and TQ from an ECU you need to have it custom-tuned to your car.

This may all be irelevent because of the fact that i'm used to dealing with Subaru ECUs and they may not even be close to a Chrysler ECU , but its something to think about...

·
Registered
375 Posts
415 300c - True, when you are doing more than just basic bolt-ons like adding boost, injector size, etc.etc. - a dyno tune and someone that actually knows how to tune is an absolute must. I'm rebuilding my other car right now, and without a custom "chip" made to my mods, I can all but guarantee it would not even start or run with all of the changes I'm making from stock - and the computer won't know they are there without a custom chip.

On a basic bolt-on car like a new 300C with exhaust and intake (or stock), an in car "programmer" would actually be more beneficial than just a generic chip. Programmers allow the user to control the changes to set parameters in real time. This can also be a little dangerous though if you don't know what your doing, and where a forum can be invaluble for info so you don't blow it up!

My thoughts on generic plug-n-play "chips" is they don't add much if anything at all - unless you drive a deisel truck (for some reason there are some big gains to be had there).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rumor has it that the Jetchip doesn't "kick in" or reprogram the ECM until 125 miles has passed.

"Here's more info on the Jet chip. It doesn't really provide the FULL benefit until you have driven the car a minimum of 125 miles as it REPROGRAMS the factory ECM. It's not a "chip" but a "module" that "teaches" the factory system to use the new parameters. If you want it to go back to the factory settings, just remove the module, drive it for a couple hundred miles and you are back to the stock settings again.
Follow this thread here.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
rogue said:
Rumor has it that the Jetchip doesn't "kick in" or reprogram the ECM until 125 miles has passed.

Follow this thread here.
When I tried it, I had a 52 mile commute each day each way...left it on for about a week...after way more than 125 it did nothing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
jjs said:
When I tried it, I had a 52 mile commute each day each way...left it on for about a week...after way more than 125 it did nothing.
JJS , tell me should i buy this thing or no i'm itching. now i read up on a new Chip tuning www.superships.com i wrote them a letter telling them to gather up info for the forum. but for now you suggest i should not buy this chip

·
Registered
116 Posts
gshug: stay away from the jet chip for at least another month ... wait until some better stats come out (if they come out at all). for $300 the chip is too new/unproven/bleeding edge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
joeSRT8 said:
gshug: stay away from the jet chip for at least another month ... wait until some better stats come out (if they come out at all). for $300 the chip is too new/unproven/bleeding edge.
thanks joeyi know who you are i'm not against you bro

·
Registered
265 Posts
5point7 said:
My thoughts on generic plug-n-play "chips" is they don't add much if anything at all - unless you drive a deisel truck (for some reason there are some big gains to be had there).
There are big gains to be had because the bottom end of diesel engines are built like bricks and they are turbo motors (Most diesels are).. Turbo motors respond very well to simple chip upgrades because they can change boost levels.

I know I can't wait to tear into the GF's PT GT a little bit and have some fun with that motor (Same as a SRT-4) :D :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Got the chip today and I love it. I felt the difference right away. I just posted my findings under performance catagory check it out. Hey I figured if it did'nt work I would return it not big deal. After installing it and testing it I am keeping it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
HaTaX said:
There are big gains to be had because the bottom end of diesel engines are built like bricks and they are turbo motors (Most diesels are).. Turbo motors respond very well to simple chip upgrades because they can change boost levels.

I know I can't wait to tear into the GF's PT GT a little bit and have some fun with that motor (Same as a SRT-4) :D :D
Agreed my previous commuter/track car before this was vw gti, now given the limitations set from the factory where only at 7psi but after the chip( i used revo and apr for those vdubbers) you can see between 20-30 hp increase along with torque. Now the boost and fuel curve is raised up boost spiked around 17, with fuel curve to accomidate. This was originally done with a solder chip but later accomplised with odbII flasing of the ecu.

Now with na motors its a little different and harder to get large gains from chips/programming as you have to work within the limits of the engine. Air intake, maf/mas voltage, timing, fuel curve etc which is not as easy as raising the boost and accomidating with other means of air and fuel intake.

I would expect to see more on the market but as for superchips and the others you tend to not have as much r&d and more of a first to market attempt than quality.

As with any larger in the realms of v8 engines its best to attack it from a flow standpoint, get more air in and get more fuel. Exahust are usually the most restrictive from the factory and unlike turbo engines you not as worried about backpressure so open it up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts