Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a diablo i3 but i definitely want to do alot with this car. I do not know where to start. I dont care about MDS... i have a 180 t stat installed. I want this thing to be a monster. one piece at a time. Should i buy a cam first? if so which one? do i need to buy a full kit? I want the meanest cam. Can an expert please help me build a badass AWD 300. pweaaasse

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Okay, that helps.

No harm in starting with a cam if that's how you want to roll. But since you'll need valve springs and pushrods and this is a fifteen-year-old engine, consider pulling the heads for a valve job and porting. Have the valve seats upgraded at the same time, you don't want to spend a small fortune on your 5.7 only to have it blown up by a dropped valve seat.

That would be the time to do headers or SRT exhaust manifolds as well.

You can also step up to an 09-up Eagle, 6.1 or 6.4 intake manifold, but that's not plug-and-play on your engine. You'd need rails, injectors, and adapters too, unless you have the heads ported to match the manifold. Hopefully on your '06, your EGR is on the passenger side head, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You'll definitely want a custom tune to go with that i3.

Even if you do all the labor yourself, this is a lot of money we're talking about...a machine shop won't even sneeze on your heads for less than a hundred bucks...so popping in a cam is a good starting place.

To give you an idea of what to expect, check out this write-up from Street Muscle Magazine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, that helps.

No harm in starting with a cam if that's how you want to roll. But since you'll need valve springs and pushrods and this is a fifteen-year-old engine, consider pulling the heads for a valve job and porting. Have the valve seats upgraded at the same time, you don't want to spend a small fortune on your 5.7 only to have it blown up by a dropped valve seat.

That would be the time to do headers or SRT exhaust manifolds as well.

You can also step up to an 09-up Eagle, 6.1 or 6.4 intake manifold, but that's not plug-and-play on your engine. You'd need rails, injectors, and adapters too, unless you have the heads ported to match the manifold. Hopefully on your '06, your EGR is on the passenger side head, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You'll definitely want a custom tune to go with that i3.

Even if you do all the labor yourself, this is a lot of money we're talking about...a machine shop won't even sneeze on your heads for less than a hundred bucks...so popping in a cam is a good starting place.

To give you an idea of what to expect, check out this write-up from Street Muscle Magazine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks for the great info and taking the time to write that out for me. I am looking for a custom tune as we speak. Can the cam work be done with the engine in the vehicle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts