Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I just bought a john varvatos limited. I was thinking of a aftermarket exhaust to get some sound out of the hemi. also a cai. my question is since this is a numbered car am I making a mistake by modding it. should I just leave it as is.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Those are bolt-on mods and can easily be put back to stock. Go for it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sorry guys but these cars really don't hold a lot of value. Not saying go crazy on your cars, but just don't put too much stake in them really being collector's items.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well I guess in that instance, if it is kept in excellent condition and low miles, decades down the road it could be worth money.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well I guess in that instance, if it is kept in excellent condition and low miles, decades down the road it could be worth money.
I think the problem with any modern car is that decades down the road you will not be able to get spare parts anymore. Try getting spare parts for a 20 year old PC, and you'll see the problem. No one is going to be making the chips, screens and other electronics anymore, and unlike cars from the 60's or 70's, there won't be anyone able to fabricate parts for you, because the stuff is incredibly complex and proprietary.

The automotive manufacturers don't even provide ways to upgrade components in the car, such as navigation or phone connection systems. If you want certain functionality, you have to buy a newer car, you can't upgrade the radio or navigation system without some major effort on your own ... On the 300's you can't even get an up to date Gracenote database or upgraded profile for new phones to support some of the bluetooth and text messaging features (go and find the thread about that).

I owned a 2001 Audi A8L with a navigation system. When they clanged from CDs to DVDs for navigation systems in 2004 my unit became obsolete. No one at Audi was willing to even talk to me about upgrading the navigation unit. I found some help online from other owners in the same boat as me, but unless you are willing to experiment and try things on your own, your $40,000+ investment is old technology a few years down the road. I think your chances of having this car in running condition in decades are slim. The technology is just evolving too quickly, and just like your cell phone, your car's tech will become obsolete in a few years.

Just my two cents ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input. I am going do a to do a k&n drop in filter and corsa sport and a tune. I will keep the original exhaust . this is my daily driver so I mite as well enjoy it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Be careful what you are doing here. The benefits of lower restriction exhaust and induction systems usually occur in the higher rpm range. Great for race cars but not so much for street cars as you risk the loss of low end torque. The people who sell this stuff don't lie but they don't tell the whole story either.

If you don't believe that, take a look at dyno comparisons and see what happens to engine power in the low end areas where you live. Don't get sucked in to believing that noise and drama is usable power.

Just a word from an old hot rod gear head.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Be careful what you are doing here. The benefits of lower restriction exhaust and induction systems usually occur in the higher rpm range. Great for race cars but not so much for street cars as you risk the loss of low end torque. The people who sell this stuff don't lie but they don't tell the whole story either.

If you don't believe that, take a look at dyno comparisons and see what happens to engine power in the low end areas where you live. Don't get sucked in to believing that noise and drama is usable power.

Just a word from an old hot rod gear head.
A lower-restriction air filter can't possibly hurt low-rpm power. Lower-resriction exhaust systems CAN hurt low-end power, but he says he plans to keep his.
As for the chips and programming, it is very good advice to look at dyno comparison numbers to make sure you don't lose low-end hp or torque in order to gain some at the high end. Low-end is what we feel all day every day driving on the road!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Put a set of 3.55 gears in the car, way more difference than a drop-in filter and exhaust...speaking of, get a LMI cai and whatever exhaust you like. There is nothing special about those parts on a JV car that you couldn't replace them down the road. You bought the car to enjoy it, so enjoy it. Don't worry that maybe, possibly 30-40 years from now it'll be worth what you paid for it. These cars drop in valuse quicker than a politicians approval rating.

·
Registered
429 Posts
A few years of ago, before automotive mags became captives of their advertisers, they would run feature articles on the effects of various HP add ons from start to finish, individually and cumulative.

The first test was usually larger low restriction air cleaners such as, but not limited to, K&N. The suppliers of these devices usually claimed 2 to 5 hp of increased power in small block Chevies. The usual findings were that power increases did occur at the upper rpm ranges of engine operation. And that this often came at the expense of lower end power, torque or hp I don't recall.

I have not seen any such tests in recent years but I don't think anything has changed. Subjective evidence to the contrary is welcome as we all can learn and unlearn.

:yup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, I know there is no gain in a catback. just looking for a little more sound. I know the corsa has no drone and is not obnoxious. I never thought about gears .

·
Registered
562 Posts
yes, I know there is no gain in a catback. just looking for a little more sound. I know the corsa has no drone and is not obnoxious. I never thought about gears .
I had 3.06 in my car and went to 3.55's, what a difference! So much quicker off the line, car feels a lot lighter.

·
Registered
562 Posts
when u do gears do u also do a wavetrac . I am confused on the wavetrac .
The SRT comes with a Getrag LSD. So I just swapped the gears in mine and had the upgraded clutches installed at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts