Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my 2008 300c is giving me Key Fob issues and could use some help. I read a few forums regarding Key fobs and my circumstance is unusual.

Key fob #1 will start car only, the other key fob #2 locks and unlocks the car. Had both batteries checked, as they were recently replaced, and they are fine.

Key fob #2 that unlocks the car reads "damaged key" on the display sometimes or the security light on dash will illuminate for a second and seems if the battery is dead.

Key fob #1 starts car fine but won't lock, unlock.So right now I am having to carry 2 set of keys?????

Please help thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Having some issues as we'll. would like to hear some answers. I'm gettin damaged key sometimes and my auto start doesn't work. My other fob is dead. Where did u get the new batt from and how much $ ? The dealer ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
859 Posts
For a quick fix to the issue of carrying two keys, you can take the guts out of Key number 2,
and swap them with the guts from Key number 1.

This way, Key number 1 will be a fully functioning key, and Key number 2 will basically do
nothing.

Then at least you can just carry one key, and consentrate your time on finding out what the
heck is up with the keys?

My guess is that the metal key blank on Key number 2 has some damage to it, that will not
allow it to fully engage inside the ignition.

The metal key blanks are just chrome covered brass, and they can be damaged quite easily.

It does not take much damage, or distortion to where the key blank is cut, to no longer allow
it to work properly.

For Key number 2, you can always get just a new key fob, have the blank cut using Key number 1
as your guide, and you will have two working metal key blanks.

For Key number 1 though, it sounds like there is something wrong with the transponder inside.

There are some documented cases here on this forum of people having problems with the electronic
portion of their keys not working, and it turned out to be a loose battery connection on the PC board
of the transponder.

There is an easy fix for this, located somewhere in this forum. It involves removing the battery, re-soldering the loose
connection, and re-installing the battery.

Do a search, you will find it.

Good luck! At least by swaping the guts of the Keys, you will at least have one good key,and not have to carry
two keys!

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if my last reply posted but new issue has started with the key fob not wanting to remove from ignition? I have to either turn the car back "on" by restarting it, or leave ignition in the "on" position and go to neutral then back to park again, to release the key???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello I went to batteries plus. They install the for free plus check volts to see the output to see if they really need replacing or if the batteries are bad.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure if my last reply posted but new issue has started with the key fob not wanting to remove from ignition? I have to either turn the car back "on" by restarting it, or leave ignition in the "on" position and go to neutral then back to park again, to release the key???
badasblkhemi300c,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having removing your key. In order to remove the key from the ignition, the gear lever into "P" (park) and turn the key into the LOCK position. This should allow the key to be removed successfully.

Is the issue still occurring since the new batteries were installed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
badasblkhemi300c,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having removing your key. In order to remove the key from the ignition, the gear lever into "P" (park) and turn the key into the LOCK position. This should allow the key to be removed successfully.

Is the issue still occurring since the new batteries were installed?
Hello and thanks for the reply. The problem happened before I had the batteries checked. I think I have 2 issues, one being at the shift cable might need adjustment. The 2nd is a bad key fob. I will look into adjusting the cable soon and get back to you on it

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello and thanks for the reply. The problem happened before I had the batteries checked. I think I have 2 issues, one being at the shift cable might need adjustment. The 2nd is a bad key fob. I will look into adjusting the cable soon and get back to you on it
badasblkhemi300c,

Thanks for the update. With the new batteries installed and the issue remains, the fob itself may require attention. I'll keep an eye out for your follow-up and help out if I can.

Cheers,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still having to turn car back on and move it into drive and back into park to remove the key. This works sometimes but have to repeat sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row before the ignition will free my key fob

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am still having to turn car back on and move it into drive and back into park to remove the key. This works sometimes but have to repeat sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row before the ignition will free my key fob
badasblkhemi300c,

Were any adjustments made to the shifter cable, or have you had a formal diagnosis completed yet? If so, have any repairs been suggested?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts