Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1998, when I purchased an Intrepid ES, I was told by the service manager that the recommended starting procedure was to insert the key and turn one notch to the ACC position for a second or two to let the computer calculate settings (you would hear a low motor whirl, and some relays setting); and then turn the key to the next stop for ignition.

I did that for every start for years, and now a friend (who seems to know some things) said that you're supposed to turn the key in one movement to start. He claims too much gasoline is primed when you stop for the 1 second at the ACC position.

Any "urban legend" feelings or real facts that can bolster and support one side or the other?

Thanks,
Lee

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
While I doubt if it's necessary, I don't think it'd hurt the car any (or waste gas for that matter). I'm pretty sure some cars actually take care of the fuel system for ya when you unlock the car, hehe.

I do the wait, anyway.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Im no mechanic but I really doubt pausing in the accessory's setting would cause the fuel pump to keep running. The car is a little smarter then that.

I always just turn the key all the way to start it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts