Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up my SRT8 Charger last week and I love it. My only complaint is the kicker sound system. The treble is overpowering. I've turned the treble down and it's just not right. It's almost as if the door speakers aren't working and I just have the dash tweeters producing sound. The funny thing is it seems to be better (still not great) while playing CD's. The Sirius and FM seem to be worse. I've fiddled with all the controls. To keep my sanity I have it faded nearly all the way to the rear speakers. This helps but isn't the cure I want.

I have a Daytona with Sound Group II and it sounds so much better. I'd be happy if my SRT8 sounded as good. As it is now the Kicker is in no way high end audio. I've tried to locate a dealer that has a car with Kicker so I can compare but no luck yet. Any ideas?

On a side note I have the Kicker bass at level +4 in the SRT8 while the Sub in the Daytona is +2. Seems like the Daytona has a better sub too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Kicker

dlyle said:
I just picked up my SRT8 Charger last week and I love it. My only complaint is the kicker sound system. The treble is overpowering. I've turned the treble down and it's just not right. It's almost as if the door speakers aren't working and I just have the dash tweeters producing sound. The funny thing is it seems to be better (still not great) while playing CD's. The Sirius and FM seem to be worse. I've fiddled with all the controls. To keep my sanity I have it faded nearly all the way to the rear speakers. This helps but isn't the cure I want.

I have a Daytona with Sound Group II and it sounds so much better. I'd be happy if my SRT8 sounded as good. As it is now the Kicker is in no way high end audio. I've tried to locate a dealer that has a car with Kicker so I can compare but no luck yet. Any ideas?

On a side note I have the Kicker bass at level +4 in the SRT8 while the Sub in the Daytona is +2. Seems like the Daytona has a better sub too.

My 300C SRT-8 has the kicker system. I now drive with the split fold down rear seats down most of the time. I used to keep the bass at +9 with the rear seats closed (oops I blew the subwoofer in 3 months) Now I keep it at +5 with the seats open and it sounds so much better! The bass is better and so is the exhaust note (Magnaflow) when I'm not cranking the tunes. There is a vented grate built into the rear deck on the passenger side. It is covered up with sound proofing material. I met a guy who cut it all out to allow the bass to radiate through without opening the seats. At high volme his was rattling so I just do the manual seat open mode. Also with the rear seats open I move the fader from +1 Rear to +1 Front. Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dan. I heard your stereo at the SRT Experience. It sounded nothing like mine. Do you have stock speakers? I must have a couple of the mid range speakers not producing. Guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer for a listen.

·
Registered
625 Posts
All Stock

dlyle said:
Thanks for the reply Dan. I heard your stereo at the SRT Experience. It sounded nothing like mine. Do you have stock speakers? I must have a couple of the mid range speakers not producing. Guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer for a listen.
My stereo is all stock. Kicker 13 speaker system. When my subwoofer crapped out it sounded lousy.

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know. Now I know what it should sound like. I don't know if you remember me....I had the Hillman Husky that was parked next to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem with "most" audio systems from the maufacturer, is power related.

People see "400 watts of power, 13 speakers" and think..."wow, that will crank"...NOT!!!

ANY high end, or true sounding audio system, needs multiple amps, or at least one big and powerful enough to seperately power the speakers and sub.

As soon as my 300 SRT 8 was delivered, I had my cousin install a second 300 watt Rockford amp, to ONLY power the sub (which I replaced in the stock location with a better woofer than the kicker) :banana:

Once you do this, you can now independantly arrange, channel, and power the speakers and sub in any fashion you wish. A great improvement over stock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didnt even bother with the Kicker. I am planning on adding aftermarket speakers in the stock locations and adding an amp and sub to the trunk.

The one question I have is if the people with Kickers think the sub location is optimal? I had planned on just adding a box behind the rear seat, but after seeing the kicker box, I had second thoughts.

·
Registered
709 Posts
good thing that I don't have any kids or family. I am going to have to turn down my bass and open up the split fold down.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kicker Let down

Ya know i have yet to hear a Kicker Factory System that impresses anyone, i mean if you got an aftermarket system compared to what the kicker is Factory as an upgrade supposedly, You'd have a Kick ass system, Not so with the Kicker Upgrade IMHO. I don't think the BA Sytem is all that bad. don't have any complaints for what it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've been paying close attention to my Kicker system and I've found that it is the mid range that is overpowering. I've got the base at +5, the mid at -1, and the treble at +5. I'm still convinced my system has a problem. I am a little curious if the Sirius is a contributing factor. Seems that the stereo is at its worst while listening to the Sirius. It's very tin sounding. ...especially when the announcers are talking. Doesn't matter what station it is on. I've also noticed that with some CD's I can turn it all the way up and it's still not breaking my eardrums the way it should. I shouldn't be able to max out (38) the stereo on anything I listen to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
dlyle said:
I've been paying close attention to my Kicker system and I've found that it is the mid range that is overpowering. I've got the base at +5, the mid at -1, and the treble at +5. I'm still convinced my system has a problem. I am a little curious if the Sirius is a contributing factor. Seems that the stereo is at its worst while listening to the Sirius. It's very tin sounding. ...especially when the announcers are talking. Doesn't matter what station it is on. I've also noticed that with some CD's I can turn it all the way up and it's still not breaking my eardrums the way it should. I shouldn't be able to max out (38) the stereo on anything I listen to.
I agree, the midrange is overpowering, and the stereo imaging is not right. To solve this, I simply removed the center channel completely. Made a huge difference. The good news is that the drivers appear to be a quality piece, they even have the kicker logo on them. I am also a little disappointed with the sub also..I also am able to turn the volume up all the way, this is due to the system using equalization that gradually turns the bass/treble down as the volume goes up.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bgreen4 said:
I agree, the midrange is overpowering, and the stereo imaging is not right. To solve this, I simply removed the center channel completely. Made a huge difference. The good news is that the drivers appear to be a quality piece, they even have the kicker logo on them. I am also a little disappointed with the sub also..I also am able to turn the volume up all the way, this is due to the system using equalization that gradually turns the bass/treble down as the volume goes up.
How do you remove the center channel? I've read of someone else doing the same thing. I can turn my volume up to 38 on many songs that I listen to....I should be able to do that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used a snap-on pick tool to pry the cover off, it is simply snaped into place. You will then need a 90 degree philips head screw driver (or a very short one) to remove the two screws holding the speaker in place. Then just unlpug the harness and replace the grille. I personally think it made a big difference. The midrange harshness almost completely disappears.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
dlyle said:
How do you remove the center channel? I've read of someone else doing the same thing. I can turn my volume up to 38 on many songs that I listen to....I should be able to do that.

dlyle, you read about it from one of JohnnyVIG's posts...
as he took it out about 3 months ago...
he was told this by one of the Kicker guys directly...
Pm him...
or search for his thread on it...
good luck!
as that is not right...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you. I'll try unhooking it to see how it sounds. One question though...where is the center channel speaker? It's not in the middle of the dash. Is it somewhere else?

I have talked to the kicker guy on the phone. He couldn't tell me much without the benefit of listening to my system. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Banned
66 Posts
dlyle said:
Thank you. I'll try unhooking it to see how it sounds. One question though...where is the center channel speaker? It's not in the middle of the dash. Is it somewhere else?

I have talked to the kicker guy on the phone. He couldn't tell me much without the benefit of listening to my system. I'll let you know how it works.
I don't believe the Charger SRT8 has a center channel. It's an 11 speaker system, hence it's missing the center 2-way speaker.

At least I think that's the case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jonbbas said:
I don't believe the Charger SRT8 has a center channel. It's an 11 speaker system, hence it's missing the center 2-way speaker.

At least I think that's the case.
Oh, that would explain why I can't find it in the dash. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
dlyle said:
Oh, that would explain why I can't find it in the dash. Thanks for the info.
and thus my recommendation is for naught without a speaker in the dash...
you guys got cheated with only 11...
neener neener...

I still think your cars are cool...
ENJOY!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts