Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, the old 2007 CRD 300c is still going strong :) - however ....... I have "knocking" from the front suspension that I cannot "locate" despite having several garages investigate. It sounds like its coming from the middle / near side and can be felt through the floor when going over bumps. It sounds really bad like somethings going to fall off, but the garages are confused as they say it all looks fine, and it's "built like a tank". I have had 2 garages look at it with no conclusion.

I know I am asking a lot here - but can anyone give me something to look at / check who has maybe had the same issue. I have previously replaced the "control arms" so I know it's not those (and the garage spotted them as knackered last time).

It's driving me mad - even started driving the wifes car for a quiet soft ride (and thats a Kia!!)

·
Registered
557 Posts
In the US, you can buy Moog bushings for under $10, and it's an easy do it yourself project.

Here's a link to a how-to:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/te...-stabilizer-bar-bushing-replacement-moog.html

The only thing I would caution you on is to make sure you get the proper size bushings, as there were 3 different sizes in our cars. I f you get ones that are too large, your noise will be worse (don't ask me how I know that!)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Worn anti-roll bar bushes should be easy to detect by a competent mechanic when the wheels are off the ground.

A garage with a shaker plate makes diagnoses easier , but previous experiences of 300 owners
indicate that continued replacement of suspension components until the noise disappears is the
most effective but time consuming way.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,589 Posts
The 300 store guys keep some nice Peders poly ARB bushes which I fitted to mine in a couple of hours. Though that didn't completely sort my noise it was a definite improvement

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Guys, the old 2007 CRD 300c is still going strong :) - however ....... I have "knocking" from the front suspension that I cannot "locate" despite having several garages investigate. It sounds like its coming from the middle / near side and can be felt through the floor when going over bumps. It sounds really bad like somethings going to fall off, but the garages are confused as they say it all looks fine, and it's "built like a tank". I have had 2 garages look at it with no conclusion.

I know I am asking a lot here - but can anyone give me something to look at / check who has maybe had the same issue. I have previously replaced the "control arms" so I know it's not those (and the garage spotted them as knackered last time).

It's driving me mad - even started driving the wifes car for a quiet soft ride (and thats a Kia!!)
You live in Manchester - contact Petman who will fit them (and possibly the drop links which also fail) for a modest fee.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Is it a "heavy" clunk or is it like a few dull thuds?

·
Registered
127 Posts
my front suspension has started to knock when going over pot holes and uneven road surfaces, anti roll bar bushes or track rod ends? or shall I get both changed, only done 43000 miles lol, my mechanic suggested putting the car on a 4 post ramp with the wheels sat on the ramp as it would be sat on the road and having a look, sound like a good idea Ray?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
yeah,that's what we do,tell him to give the anti roll bar a thump with his hand where the bend is just after the mount,if there's a slight ring to it then change the bushes,change them anyway as they're cheap as chips,check the link bars too,bit dearer but dead easy to do

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it a "heavy" clunk or is it like a few dull thuds?
It's when i hit potholes / manholes etc sounds like something is going to fall off, also running over the "knobbles" on the hard shoulder seems to aggravate it - as you can really hear it then. This sounds daft but it gets worse after 10-15 mins of hitting bumps etc .... than when you first drive it :s

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had almost my entire front suspension replaced under warranty until my clunking went. It was either ARB bushes or track rod ends in the end though I think

·
Registered
127 Posts
padpadpadpad, that's sounds v silmilar to what mine sounds like, ill get the roll bar bushes done and let you know if it solves the problem, does anyone know what diameter the roll bars are on a 2007 crd in case I want to order pedders poly bushes

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Sounds like ARB's and the link bars to me,big clunk over potholes and g'dunk g'dunk g'dunk over the "Knobbles"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sway arm bushings. I find mine need to be replaced at least every two years. If it is not that you have not spent allot of money to rule out the problem. They are only about $10-$20 Canadian and a quick job to replace.

I hope this helps.
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts