Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, there is a large blind spot when driving this car and I found round stick-on mirrors at NAPA that I attached to the sideview mirrors and they seem to be working quite well. :)

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
The Society of Automotive Engineers recommends...

Adjust Mirrors To Eliminate Blind Spots

Standard, private passenger automobiles typically have an inside rearview mirror and two outside mirrors. By adjusting these mirrors correctly, you can virtually eliminate the blind spots around your car, especially that tough one just off the left rear of your car where a passing vehicle might disappear from view.

The objective of proper mirror adjustment is to give you a 360-degree view of other vehicles near your car. The outside mirrors are the key, here, and most people don't position them correctly. Many drivers do not turn their outside mirrors out far enough and simply duplicate the same scene in all three mirrors.
Rule of thumb: If you can see even a glimpse of the sides of your car in your outside mirrors they are turned too far inwards.

Most people make the mistake of adjusting the outside mirrors to look directly behind the car. The inside mirror should be adjusted to see directly behind you, but the outside mirrors should expand that field of vision to the left and right of what you can see with only the inside mirror. As a vehicle behind you approaches to pass, it should appear in one of your outside mirrors just before it disappears in your inside mirror. As that other vehicle overtakes you, it should be visible directly in your peripheral vision before it completely disappears from view in the side mirror.

For example, imagine another car is moving up to pass you on your left (as on an Interstate highway). When the right rear side of that car is starting to disappear from your inside mirror, you should be able to see the entire front end of that car in your outside left mirror. As it advances, you should be able to directly see the front of that car out your side window before the right rear of that car disappears from view in your outside mirror. The same should be true of a car passing you on your right side.

So, if you adjust the mirrors correctly, you can see at all times that vehicle as it approaches and passes you from behind. There are no blind spots.

The Society of Automotive Engineers recommends that you follow this procedure to adjust your outside mirrors:
With your car safely parked, and while sitting behind the wheel as normal, lean your head against the driver's side door window. Adjust the left outside mirror so you can just barely see the side of your car with your head in that position.

For the passenger side mirror, move your head over into the middle of the front seating area until you can just see the headrest on the driver's seat in the inside mirror. Now, with your head in this spot, adjust the outside mirror on the passenger's side until just see the side of your car.

That's it. Now, test the view in traffic. You will notice you can see all the way around your vehicle - no blind spots as long as you check all your properly adjusted mirrors before changing lanes or turning.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Right on Hemee...
my dad 4 years ago when I started driving "What are you doing with your mirrors? Who drives like that? You see, this is how you know someone is a rookie driver (jokingly, he wasn't being mean or anything, but he meant what he said about my mirror adjusting like Hemee suggests being wrong)"

My dad last time I came home for easter break...
[dad is setting his mirrors, putting them way out]
Me:"Oh, so I see you've started setting your mirrors out like I do"
Dad:"What do you mean?"
Me: "Well, I was the only one in the family to do it at first"
Dad: "What do you mean? I'm the one who taught you to put your mirrors out!...Wasn't I?"
hehehehe :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Hemee, for the post. I have tried to explain this to my wife over and over....may be if she reads this she will finally understand. :)

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
My pleasure... good luck with that!
(pssst... tell her it came from a SHE! ;) )

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use the little round mirror on the driver's side mirror too. Once you have one, you'll never drive without one again. It's too small to use on the passenger mirror. I use it to confirm what I already should know looking over my left shoulder behind me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hemeee: you rock!

That was a tasty AND informative tidbit of knowledge that you kicked out and I'm glad I stumbled upon it!
-bluedonkey (brilliantblackAWD22inzinikz12sin black...soon:tommyZblackgrilletintedtailsandapartridgeinapeartree!)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the lesson Hemeee. It sounds way outside my comfort zone, but I'll give it a try. I may actually prefer the mirrors I installed. My typical headcheck just doesn't seem to get by the wider door jams. A couple of close calls preempted the additional mirrors.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Here's another method:

While sitting in your normal driving position, turn your head to the left until your chin touches in front of your left shoulded. Adjust driver mirror until you barely see the car.

Next, turn your head until your chin touches in front of your right shoulder. Adjust the passenger mirror until you barely see the car.

Now - get used to turning your head when you look out the side mirrors. You'll see beside you out the window, and everywhere behind you.

To add some confidence, let someone slowly pass you on a multi-lane highway. Pay attention as they come up behind you, then shift from the rearview mirror to the driver's mirror and then past you. Then pass someone and pay attention out the passenger mirror and into the rearview mirror. You'll convince yourself that you can see everything.

I learned this when I first bought an Audi TT. If you feel claustrophobic looking out your 300, try one of those someday. The 300 is positively airy by comparison.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hemee,

Good suggestion. I have been adjusting my mirrors "way out" for years now. Can't convince my wife though, she wants to see the rear tires for some reason! :)

I adjust my mirrors till the side of the car just disappears when I am in my normal driving position. Gets rid of most blind spots.

I also use spot convex mirrors. forget the junky stuff at most parts stores and discount centers, find a good camper trailer center. They have the best selection of little mirrors in my area.

I also found that a very little convex mirror on the far right side of the INSIDE mirror also helps a lot. I can see the entire inside of the car, and if you get one that has a tilted base, it can see out the entire right side of the car. I put one on my previous daily driver and once I got used to it, I loved it. Plus it looks better than those big multi-panel mirrors that some people use.

·
Registered
209 Posts
kcrnmale said:
I use the little round mirror on the driver's side mirror too. Once you have one, you'll never drive without one again. It's too small to use on the passenger mirror. I use it to confirm what I already should know looking over my left shoulder behind me.
I used to use the "little round mirrors". But then I discovered the method Ms. HEMEE described (via a Click-n-Clack article) and tried it. With the "mirror memory" feature of the 300, you can get the mirrors REALLY tweaked most supremely, so that as a car slowly passes you in the left lane, the left headlight disappears from the rearview mirror, and then appears instantly in the left outside mirror, aligned perfectly and seamlessly with the image in the rearview mirror.

Since having driven with my mirrors adjusted in this fashion, I won't drive any other way! Blind spots are completely eliminated. I change lanes with complete confidence. (And no more little sticky round mirrors! :D)

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
You're welcome everyone... it is valuable info that was taught to me many years ago by an Ex, who was involved in racing and had learned these tips from some drivng coaches. CottyGee's assessment sums it up exactly; if done correctly, as you scan from one side, to center, to the other side you will have an uninterrupted view of the happenings behind you.

The TRUE blind spot in this car, in my opinion, is the #*&@!* A-pillar :eek:

·
Registered
142 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Adjust Mirrors To Eliminate Blind Spots

Most people make the mistake of adjusting the outside mirrors to look directly behind the car. The inside mirror should be adjusted to see directly behind you, but the outside mirrors should expand that field of vision to the left and right of what you can see with only the inside mirror. As a vehicle behind you approaches to pass, it should appear in one of your outside mirrors just before it disappears in your inside mirror. As that other vehicle overtakes you, it should be visible directly in your peripheral vision before it completely disappears from view in the side mirror.

I call this the "Outbound Mirror Setting". I adjust it as described above but I leave a litle overlap with the outside mirors and the rear-view mirror so that I get a little bit of overlap and pick up the vehicle a smidge in both mirrors. Once the vehicle is totally in the rear-view mirror, I know that the lane is clear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
great, thanks

Hemeee, great lesson. At 49 and with a lot of street race in my past, had thought I good understanding of mirror utilization, but must admit that even this old dog has learned a new trick, thanks.
Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts