Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has opted for a larger oil filter than what's recommended from the manufacturer? There's plenty of room up there to plus up in size. I'm asking because I live in the SoCal desert area and summer temps get pretty high. A larger filter would allow me to add another quart or so which would aid in cooling. Also a larger filter will help keep things clean with all the added filter media. I'm looking to make the switch to Amsoil at my next service interval. Does anyone know how big we can go with these filters? Extra kudos if you know the part numbers.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here in Aus the 6.1 STR8 lists as a z89a (imperial) or z518 (metric) - what is your original part number? You don't want to be stuffing your threads up. Anyway, if you have the imperial thread the z89a has a longer sibling in the Z9. Note these are Aussie ryco part numbers - the Motorcraft part #AFL1 (FL1-HP for high performance variant). Only 200ml increase capacity (1/5th quart?) over the original (if the z89a of course). I'm not aware of a larger z9 version. Hope this helps

Edit - z9 is also significantly cheaper than the z89a - it's common here in Aus in falcons from 1960 - 2003/4 (ZK to BA - naturally aspirated, turbo used the z518 as per the V8).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Curious if anyone has opted for a larger oil filter than what's recommended from the manufacturer? There's plenty of room up there to plus up in size. I'm asking because I live in the SoCal desert area and summer temps get pretty high. A larger filter would allow me to add another quart or so which would aid in cooling. Also a larger filter will help keep things clean with all the added filter media. I'm looking to make the switch to Amsoil at my next service interval. Does anyone know how big we can go with these filters? Extra kudos if you know the part numbers.

Thanks in advance!
Can't be more specific, since you haven't told us what you drive, but if it's a 6.1 with SAE threads, you should be able to use a Motorcraft FL1A, and if it's a later block with metric threads, the FL820S should fit.

There are other, larger substitutes designed for non-passenger car applications. You can easily compare thread and seal sizes and bypass valve specs to find them, but you'll have to experiment a bit to find the largest case that will fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't be more specific, since you haven't told us what you drive, but if it's a 6.1 with SAE threads, you should be able to use a Motorcraft FL1A, and if it's a later block with metric threads, the FL820S should fit.

There are other, larger substitutes designed for non-passenger car applications. You can easily compare thread and seal sizes and bypass valve specs to find them, but you'll have to experiment a bit to find the largest case that will fit.
Sorry CtCarl, I figured that this being in the 1st gen SRT8 forum it was already implied that I had the 6.1L Hemi.

Thank you both for your advice. I’ll do some research and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Sorry CtCarl, I figured that this being in the 1st gen SRT8 forum it was already implied that I had the 6.1L Hemi.
Yeah, you'd think that, but a quick check of the forums will show that we've had new members dropping posts all over the place, seemingly at random.

For example, in the 1st Gen SRT8-Specific Performance & Engine/Intake/ subforum, three posts below yours, is a guy asking about a cam for his 2nd Gen 5.7. So when it comes to something like an oil filter, I'd rather be safe than sorry. While the early 5.7s and 6.1s took the same filters, the 5.7s went to metric in 2009, and I wouldn't want some 5.7 driver crossthreading an FL1A on his Eagle.

Glad we've given you some ideas. There are many variants of FL1A-type filters. Check out Baldwin's excellent site for more detailed oil filter info.

Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just a tidbit, because people say that stuff all the time....
More capacity doesn't automatically mean better cooling. It'll take slightly longer to warm up, but now it will take longer to shed that heat.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jwinn

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Just use Amsoil 25000 mile filter....

Reactions: jwinn
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.