Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For awhile now I've been saying I was going to make modify another OEM grille just like I did when I made the "mini" deep dish, but with a center bar this time around. I didn't find it very difficult for me, but it's taking me awhile with school and other things I need to do first. Thought I'd share on my process so far, just needs a little more bondo/sanding and it'll be ready for paint. This time I did the bondo, it's easier to use than I thought :pat: .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Doing the same

Hey Mike,

I'm doing the same with my spare stock with the center bar. Except the center bar on mine is thicker I used a sheet of fibercloth. Are u using bondo glass or just reg bondo? The next thing I'm doing with it is covering the flat diamond mesh with real carbon fiber. Then I need to find a shop in houston to paint it. I'll post pics soon:)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would have actually used duramix 4040. Its a semi-rigid smc plastic that chemically bonds to abs (most likely with the grill shell is made out of). Its very sandable and will flex with the plastic unlike the duramix which may show stress cracks in the future.

·
Registered
102 Posts
GROUNDED

I've used the duramix 4040 and your right its most likely the best for this but sometimes it hard to find I had to order mine online and u don't get as much. As for the bondo glass I prefer the Rage Gold Duraglass it flexes pretty good but not good as duramix. But anybody trying to do this if you can get your hands on the duramix go with that if not try the Rage Gold Duraglass:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To fill the back side of the center bar and holes from the cutting I used JB Weld. Then I used bondo to cover everything up after. The bondo I'm using is Evercoat Metal Glaze. I've never used bondo before, wasted a bit of bondo because I kept mixing too much hardner lol.

*Few updated Pics:

Having hard time getting the shape on the bottom here. :lick:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mike,

I'm getting the same issue with getting the center bar even. Yours is pretty good. Are u going to use sandable primer?:)

·
Registered
350 Posts
looking great man! good work i like it... maybe do the same to my grillee

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike,

I'm getting the same issue with getting the center bar even. Yours is pretty good. Are u going to use sandable primer?:)

Ain't so sure. If I decide to try and paint it myself, then yea I'll look into what kind of primer to use (sandable and what not). :lick:

Are you?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mike,

Right now I'm looking for a shop here in Houston to paint it but I would love to paint it myself. I should of did the center bar thin like yours cause this thicker
center is a sanding nightmare:pat:. This week I'll try get the shape right and work on my carbon fiber diamond mesh. Anyways keep up the good work:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts