Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
For the first time today I tried the launch control, I gave it 3 runs, 1st with, 2nd without and 3rd with again.
0 - 100 times or 62 imperial.
First run was 6.3
Second run 4.8
Third run 5.7
I recorded all the runs on my iPhone and noticed both times with launch control activated it came up aborted on the screen.
Both times with launch activated it had plenty of wheel spin which effected the times so now I'm wondering what I did wrong for it to abort. Foot on the brake, activate launch by pressing the traction control button twice and flattening it, each time it started spinning as soon as I started feeding in the throttle so I let the brake off and off I went.

I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to do but there seems to be a trick to it.
I'll stitch the videos together and upload it later on today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
You didn't do anything wrong, the launch control is only a gimmic.
I noticed Chrysler were saying its being revamped on the newer model, but there are plenty of links to look at of most people saying the same thing.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Exactly what mine did.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Smash the brake to floor and hold it. Floor the gas and hold it. Engine will rev to 1800 RPM. Let off the brake and she launches. No aborts for me. Did it over and over on the drag strip the other day.

When I was first playing with it, I got it to abort all the time because I was easing in to the gas. Don't do that. Just floor it and hold it.

Now... she still spins like a bitch. I get better 0-60 runs without it by slowing mashing the gas to the ground.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree, launch control sucks! Too much wheelspin... might look cool, but does nothing for your 0-100 times.

Best time I get by mashing the pedal is 5.0, but that was with a full tank of fuel in it.

Need to do some more tests with less fuel and after heating up the tyres a bit more.

The skinny 245 rubber on these monsters is crap... need to fit 275 or 295 rubber to improve traction.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my 3000km service today and asked them to check the launch control, when I picked it up they said there was nothing wrong with it and gave me a print out of how to use it.
I'll try it again :slomo:

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
You mentioned wheelspin as you applied throttle. That's not right. Yes, there is wheelspin when you let off the brake and go, but shouldn't be before then. Did you mash the throttle when on the brake with LC engaged, or feather it? Maybe that why it aborted?

I agree to the comments above about it being a pretty worthless feature, but it shouldn't abort.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had my 3000km service today and asked them to check the launch control, when I picked it up they said there was nothing wrong with it and gave me a print out of how to use it.
I'll try it again :slomo:
I know the service techs were fighting over who's going to take your ticket. That's like winning the lotto.

Only one way to see if it's working and that's to test it. ALOT.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I gave it another go, it does actually work. Press the button twice, foot on the brake and hit the gas fast, it will come up on the screen release brake and away you go. It's still faster doing it yourself I think, I only did it twice, first time I didn't get to 100 before backing off, the second time was a 5.4. I had a full tank of fuel but don't know how much difference that makes, seat of my pants it feels faster off the line when you just hit the gas without the brake.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
How much wheel spin?

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
None, it does contain it but I don't think the launch is as quick. Main thing is brake, floor it and watch the screen till it's ready

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Never been able to let the foot off the brake and not have the backs lights up until it comes up aborted.
Glad someone had success though.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Give it another shot, I think the key is fast to full throttle and leave it there, if you back off at all it will abort.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
I'll give it another shot but i'll just wait till I put the new boots on shortly.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Hi guys,
For the first time today I tried the launch control, I gave it 3 runs, 1st with, 2nd without and 3rd with again.
0 - 100 times or 62 imperial.
First run was 6.3
Second run 4.8
Third run 5.7
I recorded all the runs on my iPhone and noticed both times with launch control activated it came up aborted on the screen.
Both times with launch activated it had plenty of wheel spin which effected the times so now I'm wondering what I did wrong for it to abort. Foot on the brake, activate launch by pressing the traction control button twice and flattening it, each time it started spinning as soon as I started feeding in the throttle so I let the brake off and off I went.

I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to do but there seems to be a trick to it.
I'll stitch the videos together and upload it later on today.

I have no first-hand experience with the launch control in the SRT8, but I have used LC in other cars including ones with automatics and manuals. In all the cars I've tried with, you completely mat the throttle and wait for the revs to stabilize. If I read your problem correctly, it sounds like you were gradually pushing down on the throttle and it started to spin, right? Are you sure launch control was turned on? I suggest you press the brake and quickly press the throttle to the floor with launch control enabled and see if that works better. (others with experience with Chrysler's LC please advise) Then just leave it to the floor when you release the brake. My Shelby has launch control and even the slightest lift off the throttle totally disengages it and you are on your own.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
No its a common problem. If you don't bury the right foot to the floor it won't come up the message to release brake. So you have no choice.
The only thing i started playing with after many attempts is how quickly i let the brake off. I tried quick and slower but it always fried the tyres and then aborted.
Actually I did have a few times where it didnt actually abort but there were still copious amounts of wheelspin which led to very slow 100 times.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I recall reading an article (my Google-fu cannot find it, alas) about Tom Gale being asked by a reporter why the Viper didn't come with stability or traction control.

The story goes that Tom looked the reporter in the eye and said "it does...", pointed at the reporter's shoes and finished by saying "your left and right feet".

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In that document it does say if you let off at all it will abort, traction control is still deactivated. I think that was most of my problem when I first started trying it out was I wasn't fast enough on the gas, it would start spinning and by instinct I would let off a bit.
Really it should be a lot smarter, if you go in that mode you are going there for one reason and one reason only, it should then do whatever needs to be done as long as you still have your foot buried, it shouldn't matter how fast you are on the accelerator.

I had a few guys say 1850 RPM that's not enough, I said clearly you don't know much about this 6.4 hemi!

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
I guess if your not focused on the right foot its possible you start lifting when it starts spinning and not even realise.
But I think it still spins to much. Shouldn't be more than the 5% using traction control.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts