Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just wanted to give you guys an update about what I thought was leaking coolant (why did they have to change the coolant color to the same as tranny fluid is beyond me). It turns out that its tranny fluid that was leaking. I brought it to the dealer today and it looks like there is a TSB on it. Seems as if the O rings where the tranny meets the engine can go bad and the fluid can leak, they will be replaced tomorrow. It is not a constant leak and the amount it leaks is not consistent. Sometimes I would have a puddle other days just a couple of drops. I don't know if the O rings are defective on some and not others but I will have the TSB information tomorrow. I will post it when I get my paperwork. Just keeping the forum informed in case anyone else runs into this.

-john

·
Registered
477 Posts
jcsganga34 said:
Hi All,

Just wanted to give you guys an update about what I thought was leaking coolant (why did they have to change the coolant color to the same as tranny fluid is beyond me). It turns out that its tranny fluid that was leaking. I brought it to the dealer today and it looks like there is a TSB on it. Seems as if the O rings where the tranny meets the engine can go bad and the fluid can leak, they will be replaced tomorrow. It is not a constant leak and the amount it leaks is not consistent. Sometimes I would have a puddle other days just a couple of drops. I don't know if the O rings are defective on some and not others but I will have the TSB information tomorrow. I will post it when I get my paperwork. Just keeping the forum informed in case anyone else runs into this.

-john
what is build date on your C?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys, got the car back from the dealer and all the work on the TSB was done. My car was built on May 4th so the date coincides with that of 300C4ME. It could be a coincidence but I doubt it. Anyone around that build date should probably take a look under the car every so often to check for the fluid leak. Again, its not consistent in either the amount or time when it happens so keep your eyes open. Here is the TSB information

TSB number 21-002-05
Group Transmission
Date January 14, 2005

Subject:
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Weepage

Overview:
This bulletin aids in diagnosis and repair of automatic transmission fluid weepage.

Models

2005 (LX) 300/Magnum
2004-2005 (VA) Sprinter
2005 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2004-2005 (ZH) Crossfire Coupe/Crossfire Roadster

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equiped with a NAG1 automatic transmission (sales code DGJ or DGU)

Symptom/Condition
Transmission fluid may be wicking in the right front corner of the transmission oil pan area.

Diagnosis:
If the vehicle exhibits the Symptom/Condition, inspect the 13 pin connector plug guide brushing as a possible source of the transmission fluid weepage. If the weepage appears to be coming from above the transmission oil pan gasket, DO NOT REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION OIL PAN GASKET, perform the appropriate Repair Procedure.

It then goes into detail on replacing the O rings. Hope this helps anyone experiencing the problem.

-John

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went through the same, my car was built in March. Apparently they had a batch of upper o-ring seals that were defective. The only issue I had was that it took the dealer a week and a half to finish the job because they were waiting on the new seal to come in after they had dropped the tranny pan and lower housing... Talk about prior planning. The good news is that they do not have to "drop the tranny" to do the job which means less chance of the dealer monkeys making things worse. If they dealer has the part, repair should be completed in less than a day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I posted the same thing 2 months ago, had it fix, it was the upper tranny seal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Badss,

Fair point, please accept my aplogy. I'm not trying to start a war. I have had nothing but bad experiences with 3 different Chrysler Dealers in my area. It seems they cause more things to go wrong than before I bring my car to them. I was calling it like I see it, nothing more. Show me a Chrysler Dealer in the Houston area that provides quality workmanship and service and I will be more than happy to sing their praise. Nuff Said.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Big Green One said:
Badss,

Fair point, please accept my aplogy. I'm not trying to start a war. I have had nothing but bad experiences with 3 different Chrysler Dealers in my area. It seems they cause more things to go wrong than before I bring my car to them. I was calling it like I see it, nothing more. Show me a Chrysler Dealer in the Houston area that provides quality workmanship and service and I will be more than happy to sing their praise. Nuff Said.
Who have you tried locally to us?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Big Green One

I can understand your point. Have you said anything about the service to anyone. Don't be rude, just let them know. Understand that these cars are new to you and your technician. We are not trained on how to remove each and every trim piece. Albiet that the service manual will tell you to remove such and such a screw, and remove panel, but they do not tell you of the plastic welded feeling retaining clip that wants to fight you getting it removed. Just an example. Be patient, the majority of dealers will take care of you. I also understand there are some that refuse to.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can anyone tell me the YEAR (05 or 06) of your car having the leak. Just pulled my 06 C out today and have a puddle about 6"-8" of tranny fluid on the floor and the bottom of the tranny is coverd in it. Car only has 4500 mi on it. Talk about a let down.
When this happens to a new car of mine I never feel the same about it afterwards. Oh well.

Take care,Stan

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My car was built 4/28, so I guess that this is something that I should be thinking about. Haven't seen any sort of leaks as yet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have an '06' and I too noticed tranny fluid under the car yesterday. I got under the car and saw fluid seeping out where the electrical harness plugs into the front passenger side of the tranny. The dealer told me this is a very common problem with a simple repair. As previously mentioned in this thread, the two 'O' rings have to be replaced. It's about a 25 minute job. I'd do it but we don't have the necassary tool to measure the fluid level (and the Starscan).

·
Registered
367 Posts
joey said:
My little over a year old C, with 10k miles, started leaking about 6 weeks ago. Had it fixed. They said it was fixed under the weepage TSB.

How long did it take to fix Joey? I just wanted to know because i need to take in the C for this reason.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
AF300C said:
How long did it take to fix Joey? I just wanted to know because i need to take in the C for this reason.
I brought it in around 11:00am on Wednesday and got my car back Thurday around 5:00, so a day and half.
I had other work done too - rattling sun fixed, and EVIC outside temperature TSB flash.

·
Registered
367 Posts
joey said:
I brought it in around 11:00am on Wednesday and got my car back Friday around 5:00, so a day and half.
I had other work done too - rattling sun fixed, and EVIC outside temperature TSB flash.

Cool... Thanks... i need to take it as soon as possible

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine is also leaking. I will be taking it in next week to a dealer in SAC. Local Yocal dealer in Yuba is a true idiot as well as the service staff. Get this service tech < A tech mind you: asked me "you got a HEMI in that C" he was serious....I walked out of the dealership.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts