Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 300c 5.7 awd. Leaks out right side some where on hard acceleration? Fluid is new new filter no leaks on pan or li es that I can see when under it and it is running ? I did replace the fitting on side of trans seemed to help for a while. About 80mph it started smoking. Let off and went away. ??????? Not engine oil smoke . Get back in garage and on lift see oil trany oil no leaks from lines. Could it be over full?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Check your PCV system carefully. You might have a split hose or cracked plastic air make-up line. Very common on these cars, especially as they age.

·
Registered
'05 300c Blondie
153 Posts
"...trany oil no leaks from lines. Could it be over full? "

You should have a dip stick to be certain of the level. They can be had well under $20 on amazon... The pic is of the one in my tool kit. A good 20-30 minute run on the highway gets it to temp... and see what the level is. If it is over full, and you don't have or don't want to deal with a drain plug... a cheap hand pump works fine. Run the hose down the dip stick tube.

The electrical plugs on these NAG1's can leak. At least mine developed a leak there but it was constant... not sure why hard acceleration would be a factor.

If... or should I say: When you get to the bottom of it, please post back. You've peaked my curiosity...
Product Font Line Parallel Electronic device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input , im still investigating . im suspecting the lock fitting on side of transmission but i did replace it. as the clip was not holding it in very tight on all three points. still investigating . hard part is i can not lay under car at speed and see where leak is . at idle on lift it is not doing it., all indications are it is coming from this location but i would suspect it to be leaking at idle also but i am no expert.

Organism Line Font Diagram Auto part
Organism Line Font Diagram Auto part

·
Registered
128 Posts
As said before (and as Grumpy says above); Nag box fluid level is ultra critical, and MUST be correct.

I (and others) have gone into great detail in other threads about how/why etc, check the other threads.

But basically, it is essential that you check level against temperature of fluid and consult the chart in the manual. Essential.

There are three dipsticks being sold for these cars. The one grumpy shows is the correct/best one. It has the metal scale that can't "fall off into the pan" and that is graduated in actual units, that is "a centimetre on the scale equals a centimetre". (I have only seen the dipsticks in cm, they don't seem to do them in imp (inches); but the temp chart quotes in both from memory..............)

Why would it be anything else? Because there are two dipsticks that have plastic ends that are sold on Ebay as "correct". One is calibrated "100, 110, 120" etc.............. but is less than centimetres, so unless you ignore the graduations = give wrong reading. The second one is a Mercedes one that has "low/high" reading; but that is useless, as it has tabs that stop it at the neck going into the pan (as that is where some Mercedes read it from). Even if you remove the tabs, the plastic end can catch on that "neck" and fall off in the pan.

So, DON'T let the plastic end ones near your car, get a metal one with the correct "actual scale" on it. OR you can "use a zip tie" like most do. But buying the metal proper one and making sure it bottoms in the pan/monitor temp/check chart is the right way to do it......................... and the cost of the metal one against drama for not having correct level is a small investment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the metal one it is at correct height. still only leaks at hard acceleration or above 80mph. I believe the tranny line is letting it by for some reason. seams odd that it doesn't leak at idle or low speed when on lift in gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts