Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 2005 "C" may have the infamous leaky tranny O-rings that so many of you have had problems with. It's 18 months old but only 5800 miles on it (yeah I know......) but anyway I backed her out of the garage last night after not driving her for a few days and there was about a 2" diameter spot of fluid on the garage floor. Not enough to tell for sure but it looks like tranny fluid and it was in the right location. No biggie, I've been kind of expecting this issue since everyone else seems to have it.

My question is; does anyone know for sure if they have redesigned the o-rings so this does not happen over and over? I'm gonna call the closest dealer soon and see if they at least have the o-rings in stock so I don't have to take in twice- - or I may just buy the o-rings and have my friend who owns a transmission shop do it. Even though it is under warranty I'd rather pay someone I know and trust to do it than take my baby to the dealership if they'll sell me the o-rings.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes. the O rings were redisigned. About a year ago when the tsb came out, upon a visit to my dealer, I told him that even though I haven't yet had a problem, I wanted the tsb performed. He complied. No problems to date. It is a very straightforward process. Why pay for it if you don't have to?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeepgrady said:
It is a very straightforward process. Why pay for it if you don't have to?
Thanks for your reply, I'm glad they were redesigned; I most likely will take it in but I just cringe at the thought of taking my car to the dealership for anything. It will depend a lot on the response I get when I call them to make an appointment. I should give them a chance at this relatively simple repair just so I can get an idea of their competence in case I have a more major warranty problem in the future. Hey it's a 5 star dealership, so they HAVE to be good, right? :biggrin: :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
kevenj said:
Thanks for your reply, I'm glad they were redesigned; I most likely will take it in but I just cringe at the thought of taking my car to the dealership for anything. It will depend a lot on the response I get when I call them to make an appointment. I should give them a chance at this relatively simple repair just so I can get an idea of their competence in case I have a more major warranty problem in the future. Hey it's a 5 star dealership, so they HAVE to be good, right? :biggrin: :)
It was just performed yesterday at my delership... I simply printed out the TSB and told them that this is probably what was causing the leak. I also had the comment on the service note for my car... I did the same thing for the SRT8 rotor TSB... The service managers I work with like it; cause it makes their job a little easier. One of the great benefits of being a member on such a great forum is the access to the information that has been collected here. Goodluck with the leak, it's a very quick and simple fix -- if it is the O-rings... Use that warranty service, it came with the car :)

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DUBSTER said:
A friend of mine works for Chrysler, he repairs trannies. The problem is from the condensation of the a/c.
No that's a different problem where water gets in the transmission via the seal around the dipstick tube. I already took care of that one myself before it happened by applying some RTV silicone to the dipstick tube seal area (which is what the TSB tells dealers to do) and I made a drain tube for the a/c condensation to direct it to the ground behind the transmission.

My problem is the faulty o-rings sealing the 13 pin electrical connector on the right side of the trasmission. I know it's a simple problem I was just wondering if they designed a better o-ring for replacement. The base 300 uses a different transmission so you will probably not experience this issue but it seems to be almost 100% of the "C's" are experiencing this.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Here are photos of the problem. Look at the plastic piece that has taped wires coming from it...kind of yellow color. I took mine apart and put it back together...no more leak, so far.

·
Banned
5,678 Posts
kevenj said:
No that's a different problem where water gets in the transmission via the seal around the dipstick tube. I already took care of that one myself before it happened by applying some RTV silicone to the dipstick tube seal area (which is what the TSB tells dealers to do) and I made a drain tube for the a/c condensation to direct it to the ground behind the transmission.

My problem is the faulty o-rings sealing the 13 pin electrical connector on the right side of the trasmission. I know it's a simple problem I was just wondering if they designed a better o-ring for replacement. The base 300 uses a different transmission so you will probably not experience this issue but it seems to be almost 100% of the "C's" are experiencing this.
Is that water issue just for the 300C?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DUBSTER said:
Is that water issue just for the 300C?
I believe so, or possibly for tourings as well since the 3.5 cars also use a 5 speed automatic (not sure if it's the SAME 5spd as the V8 cars). The base 300 with 2.7 engine uses a completely different (4 speed) transmission though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Grand Cherokee with the six cylinder also has the water problem, however, for some reason they were recalled. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the 300 also wasn't recalled.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just called the nearest Chrysler dealer (not where the car came from) to make an appointment for the leaky o-rings. The service writer at least was familiar with the issue and said they do have the replacement o-rings in stock. He paused but didn't balk when I mentioned that my '05 warranty includes the premium care plan (loaner car) and that I would be needing a loaner to get to work. He said "ok, see ya Wednesday morning, and we'll have a car for you". So far so good, we'll see how my first dealer experience turns out. Now I just have to plug my flashpaq in tonight and restore the stock tune. I'll update when I get the car back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I also have the O ring problem. I just had it in for an oil change about a week prior. Just noticed the leak yesterday. I assume not much labor to get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blankster said:
I think I also have the O ring problem. I just had it in for an oil change about a week prior. Just noticed the leak yesterday. I assume not much labor to get it fixed?
it's under warranty unless you have over 36,000 miles. Might be covered under the 7/70 powertrain warranty as well but I think that only covers internally lubricated parts, not seals, gaskets, electronics etc. Mine is covered for sure 'cuz I only have 5900 miles on my car.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dropped my car off earlier this morning so we'll see how it goes. I hand washed her yesterday so that I could point out to the service writer that there are NO door dings, scratches, etc. and also so they have no reason to give me a "courtesy car was" (i.e. run it through the chipper/shredder). He kinda rolled his eyes when i insisted he walk around the car with me before I left it to verify that there was no pre existing damage, but I can't believe they don't do this anyway - - after all it protects them against bogus claims by an unscrupulous customer.

Anyway I got my loaner car without a problem (after the 'deer in the headlites' look when I reminded him we'd talked about that on the phone) and it should be done this afternoon. I'll update when I get it back.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I think I actually had a good dealer experience! Dropped my car off at 8am and they had it done at 10:30. Replaced the trans connector orings and also flashed the computer to address the automatic headlight sensitivity and the rain sensing wiper sensitivity. Those seem to work better too but it's too early to tell for sure. At any rate there were no door dings, scratches, or even greasy fingerprints anywhere when I picked up my car; I still have to make sure I don't have any transmission fluid dripping in a day or two but so far so good.

By the way this was Midway Chrysler-Jeep in Post Falls, Idaho (near Spokane, WA.) This was not where the car was purchased but they didn't give me any crap about that either.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Just did an oil change at 24K miles and noticed that the plug and wire at the front bottom right corner of the tranny are wet with what looks to be tranny oil. It wasn't there at the 21K oil change. I am dropping the car at the stealership on the way home tonight for them to fix it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just learned an interesting bit of information regarding the electrical connector o-rings. Not sure whether to laugh or cry:pat:

My brother's best friend was up visiting last week; he's a lead tech / shop foreman at a Mercedes-Benz dealership in Southern California. He told me that Mercedes had the same O-ring problem on cars that use this transmission back in 1996! WTF!? They have been replacing the o-rings on Benzes for 10 years now with "improved" o-rings, yet it didn't occur to Chrysler to use the improved o-rings from the start on the LX transmissions? Makes you just wanna scratch your head and go "huh?" :) :)

Good news is he did re-affirm that this tranny is basically bulletproof. He drives a 2002 E55 AMG (which I think he said is 350hp / 400 torque) that uses the same trans and he likes to drive hard......he's had no problems with his.

·
Registered
38 Posts
O-Rings

It's my turn for o-ring replacement tomorrow. I notice that nobody seems to be replacing the dipstick tube seal, just the connector o-rings. Seems like they should both be replaced, since there's a known problem with both.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am from the LXForums crowd. Am a Magnum owner. Was wondering if you guys could ponder a thought.

NAG1 transmission electrical connector...........continuous o-ring problems with leaks.................lx platform and jeeps with NAG1 have water in their trannys...................if this connector leaks tranny fluid out..............is it possible for water to be forced in, say driving in the rain? Connector is located behind right front tire. Hmmmmmm.

Just curious, cause I don't think the only cause of water in trannys is that dipstick tube. There are too many cases of o-ring failures and leaks.

Thanks for thinking about this one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts