Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I thought they fixed the tranny-filler tube seal(not a dipstick tube!) And isn't the O-ring problem exclusive to the 05's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a dipstick tube or fill tube, your choice :pat: . The dealer puts the dipstick down this tube to check the level. It had problems with mating at the tranny housing. They redesigned how it mates. The early tsb on the dipstick tube had the mating area tested and covered with rtv. The oring problem is not exclusive to the 05. You will find countless people from 05-06 that have the tranny leak. The dealer replaces the orings at the electrical connector.

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
illini4 said:
It's my turn for o-ring replacement tomorrow. I notice that nobody seems to be replacing the dipstick tube seal, just the connector o-rings. Seems like they should both be replaced, since there's a known problem with both.
Well I was pro-active on the 'water in trans' issue. If you read the TSB it tells the dealer to verify that the fill tube seal is seated properly in the case, and then to apply RTV silicone sealer, then flush the transmission. Since I had no tranny problems yet I got under there and with my telescoping mirror verified that indeed the seal was seated properly so I followed the TSB instructions myself and put some RTV around the dipstick tube. Supposedly the problem is from Condensation from running the A/C, and sure enough the A/C drain from the passenger compartment is right above the transmission. There is just a rubber boot where the water drips out. So I made a drain tube to direct this water away from the transmission. A piece of 5/16" OD plastic tubing fits nicely into the opening on the boot. I used about a 4" long piece of plastic tubing, slid one end into that boot above the tranny, and then slid some 5/16" ID fuel hose over the other end and routed it back behind the transmission, securing it to the crossmember with a plastic zip tie. So now all the A/C condensation drips directly on the ground, behind the transmission completely, rather than running down the tranny and possibly finding its way inside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Transmission Leak

kevenj said:
Well I was pro-active on the 'water in trans' issue. If you read the TSB it tells the dealer to verify that the fill tube seal is seated properly in the case, and then to apply RTV silicone sealer, then flush the transmission. Since I had no tranny problems yet I got under there and with my telescoping mirror verified that indeed the seal was seated properly so I followed the TSB instructions myself and put some RTV around the dipstick tube. Supposedly the problem is from Condensation from running the A/C, and sure enough the A/C drain from the passenger compartment is right above the transmission. There is just a rubber boot where the water drips out. So I made a drain tube to direct this water away from the transmission. A piece of 5/16" OD plastic tubing fits nicely into the opening on the boot. I used about a 4" long piece of plastic tubing, slid one end into that boot above the tranny, and then slid some 5/16" ID fuel hose over the other end and routed it back behind the transmission, securing it to the crossmember with a plastic zip tie. So now all the A/C condensation drips directly on the ground, behind the transmission completely, rather than running down the tranny and possibly finding its way inside.
I took a look at the tube seal yesterday and as far as I can tell it's OK. I also looked for the condensate drain and didn't see it. Where is it in relation to the tube/seal? How did you apply the RTV? As you know, there's not much room to do anything in that area.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
illini4 said:
I took a look at the tube seal yesterday and as far as I can tell it's OK. I also looked for the condensate drain and didn't see it. Where is it in relation to the tube/seal? How did you apply the RTV? As you know, there's not much room to do anything in that area.

The condensate drain is just a rubber boot in the floor of the car, directly above the transmission. It does look as if any condensation could run directly to where the dipstick tube seal is.

It was a PITA to apply the RTV as it it quite confined but I used one of those telescoping mirrors to try to make sure I got some all the way around the tube and then kinda used a finger to spread it evenly. I still was not 100 percent sure I had it properly distributed but I figure it's better than it was. I used the mirror to look at the seal before I did this and mine seemed to be seated properly so this was just an extra precaution anyway.

I'm going to add my "drain tube mod" to my dad's SRT8 - - just in case - - but I think I'm going to skip the RTV on his as long as the seal is seated properly. (and if it's not we'll let the dealer replace under warranty). But it is kind of a dumb design to have water pouring over the transmission so I'll be fixing that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe so, or possibly for tourings as well since the 3.5 cars also use a 5 speed automatic (not sure if it's the SAME 5spd as the V8 cars). The base 300 with 2.7 engine uses a completely different (4 speed) transmission though.
My 06 3.5 is a 4speed and ive dealt with this issue. These transmissions are crap. I cant believe they didnt use a better one

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,505 Posts
My 06 3.5 is a 4speed and ive dealt with this issue. These transmissions are crap. I cant believe they didnt use a better one
Please look at the dates on the threads you're responding to. You've just replied to one that hasn't seen any posts since November 14, 2006

21 - 28 of 28 Posts