Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much mileage do you all think the 5,7 will probably reach before it's toast?

Assume:
-premium synthetic oil, filter and air filter
-regular oil changes
-bone stock
-regular driving style

Just curious what everyone thinks.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
How much mileage do you all think the 5,7 will probably reach before it's toast?

Assume:
-premium synthetic oil, filter and air filter
-regular oil changes
-bone stock
-regular driving style

Just curious what everyone thinks.
good question... I have the lifetime drivetrain warranty so....hopefully a while

·
Banned
4,213 Posts
you got a few hundred thou k now huh mopar? i would think 250,000 kms i got 83 on mine and running super strong i wouldnt worry until 250 to 300kms :D

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
depends

should run as far as any competitive V8, which in my experience is over 200000 to as many as 300000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Regular driving style for whom? lol I would expect at least 150K - 200K under normal conditions. With that being stated, I expect I will be doing the bottom end before 100K. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
but...

but you hardly fit his criteria!

If you gonna spray then you gonna pay! Expect a boatload of forged internals for you the second time around.

I'll still be screaming away at 6600, hitting my limiter with the tires a' spinnin'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know the 2.7 was an unrealiable engine to most, but I got 179,000 miles before my daughters boyfriend got on it hard and spun a bearing. The 3.5 should outlast your love of the car, IE you will dictate when to get rid of her. As long as you continue preventative maintenance you could probably give it to your grandchild.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just speaking from a little experience as I just had my 5.7 hemi replaced about 5,000 miles ago....at the time the car had 120,000 miles on it. I put in a used 5.7 with 20,000 miles from a salvaged 300C but now at 125,000 miles I'm having transmission problems. I don't know what this means for everyone else but as far as my 5.7 goes, 120,000-125,000 was as far as the drivetrain went.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just speaking from a little experience as I just had my 5.7 hemi replaced about 5,000 miles ago....at the time the car had 120,000 miles on it. I put in a used 5.7 with 20,000 miles from a salvaged 300C but now at 125,000 miles I'm having transmission problems. I don't know what this means for everyone else but as far as my 5.7 goes, 120,000-125,000 was as far as the drivetrain went.
Yikes!
I will be very disappointed if I can't get AT LEAST 200K without any issues from the drivetrain. I have 212,000 on a 2001 Durango 4.7L that tows a heavy boat during the summer and its had ZERO Engine or Transmission issues and the engine runs as good as new. I expect 300K from the 4.7L before she starts getting tired and would expect none less from the 5.7L which is suppose to be a stronger built engine than the 4.7L.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
If my engine goes before I get rid of this car I'll go all out and put a 6.1 in it :)
Hell, if you're gonna be dumping that kind of cash into an engine then you might as well splurge and get the body harness and all the goodies out of an SRT.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you got a few hundred thou k now huh mopar? i would think 250,000 kms i got 83 on mine and running super strong i wouldnt worry until 250 to 300kms :D
Yeah, about 171,000 kms (~107,000 miles), almost all of them highway. I'm curious if I should start looking for another car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have 110k on mine now. No engine or tranny problems. The oil is very clean everytime I change it. I use full synthetic oil and change it every 6k miles. Do proper maintenance on the tranny and it will last forever. they are good tranmissions. I'll let everybody know if mine takes a crap on me because I am planning on taking it to 140k or more by summer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i too thought of just putting a 6.1 engine in instead of the regular 5.7 but apparently there are some problems with the dimensions and the 6.1 wont fit, unless it was just my mechanic not wanting to do the extra work...

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
i too thought of just putting a 6.1 engine in instead of the regular 5.7 but apparently there are some problems with the dimensions and the 6.1 wont fit, unless it was just my mechanic not wanting to do the extra work...

um yeah same car as the SRT, motor fits fine, matter of fact a 426 and a 440 both fit fine.. so yeah lazy mechanic..

*edit* matter of fact someone stuffed a Viper V-10 into a 300 awhile back as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I read somewhere that the 5.7 was tested to and built to have a failure rate of no greater than 5% at 150,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts