Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pusbum said:
I recieved my new blue LED's today and fitted them. I have found that the Front map lights are nice and bright when the doors are open of when I turn on all the interior lights using the switch near the headlight switch but are duller when I just turn them on individually.

Has anyone else found this?

Also has anyone managed to change the door courtesy lights? I can't get the bracket out far enough to change the globes. I am worried I will snap something if I pull it any further.
They do dim noticeably which I saw when I was changing mine - it looks like it is a voltage drop because if you run the engine they are bright again.

Maybe it's deliberate to stop the Gangsta's being easy targets to shoot at!

The door ones are a pain in the @ss. The workshop manual suggests removal of door trims but the guy at my local dealership (not the Chrysler one) managed to change them in about 10 minutes without doing so. I gave up after about an hour upside down on a concrete floor but he managed to make the loops on the replacement globes slightly larger and they fitted easily.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
MrVelvet said:
Maybe it's deliberate to stop the Gangsta's being easy targets to shoot at!
hahaha so true
with my current interior lights i actually turn them off when someone is getting in my car, can never be to careful round here

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yeah I noticed today when I turned the car on they were bright again.....I can live with that :)

I think I might drop an e-mail to my Chrysler dealer and ask them to do the door lights for me :)

On a lighting related issue has anyone looked at changing the backlighting on the dash.....I don't want green! I mentioned it to the service department and they said they don't think it can be done as the instrument panel comes as a piece and the can't open it.

Also when did you get a copy of the workshop manual?

·
Registered
750 Posts
MrVelvet said:
I do have 3 sets of the matching Xenon coated CB fog lamp replacements coming from one of the site sponsors here (again the stock ones aren't a good match now for the much whiter frontal lighting) so if anyone else wants to do the same they are welcome to one set at cost.

Cheers
Russ
Russ if you still have a set of the fogs available and they work ok with the current whiter frontal lamps on our car then i'll take them off your hands no probs.
Actually, I might just send you a PM.:)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Vanity Mirrors

In my quest for globe brightening I got around to having a look at the vanity mirror globes today - frankly they are the weirdest looking thing I've ever seen for a globe and I suspect that they are actually only an overvoltage rated fuse. Certainly the numbers on them would support this view (18V 0.1A) and this would explain their extremely yellow look.

A quick response from autoillumination.com suggests that the 44mm rigid loops should fit so I will pull them out again later and have a try with one of those.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
MrVelvet said:
In my quest for globe brightening I got around to having a look at the vanity mirror globes today - frankly they are the weirdest looking thing I've ever seen for a globe and I suspect that they are actually only an overvoltage rated fuse. Certainly the numbers on them would support this view (18V 0.1A) and this would explain their extremely yellow look.

A quick response from autoillumination.com suggests that the 44mm rigid loops should fit so I will pull them out again later and have a try with one of those.

Cheers
Russ
I will be interested how you go as that is next on my list....along with the boot light.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
yeh got mine in the mail today, they werent too hard to install, but it did take me about 10minutes just to do the door courtesy light for the drivers side but once i worked it out it only took 2mins to do the other side, gotta say thanks to Pusbum for helping my work out which ones to order, i got the bright blue ones so they look the same as the other pics posted here but i'll go ahead and post some anyway; enjoy

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Looks great :)

how did you do the door courtesy lights? I haven't done mine yet.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
yeh i thought i was going to have to take the door trim off after reading the workshop manual but they were actually easy to do.

Just slip a flat head screwdriver into one of the sides, as you would do to replace the map lights, and the whole thing almost comes out, very little room to work with but you have to hook one of the loops to the hook closest to you first then you sorta have to push it in and try and hook the other side aswell, which gave me a bit of trouble, might help using a screwdriver to guide it in but it can be done, im more than welcome to show anyone

·
Registered
64 Posts
MrVelvet said:
Changed most of my globes today for the Hella units.

High Beams

A straightforward job. I used the Cool blue units as they most closely resemble the low beams for light colour and intensity. Just follow the instructions in the owners manual.

Rear Reading Lights

Also replaced by the Cool blue W5W globes this is another simple job. A much whiter light to read by.

Park Bulbs

Also replaced with the Cool Blue Hella W5W bulbs. Nicely match the headlights now.

Licence Plate

This one requires some brief instructions. Again the Hella Cool Blue W5W globes are used.

Tools Required

1 x 38mm No. 2 (38x6) Phillips head screwdriver
2 x Globes
1 x 5 year old nephew / Asian friend / small woman
1 x Vocabulary of naughty words

Instructions

1. Using the screwdriver remove the two screws either side of the lens assembly.
2. Rotate the assembly to remove it from the hole.
3. Unscrew the bulb holder and replace the globe.
4. Ensure that the tabs on the holder are facing the front of the vehicle.
5. Ask 5 year old nephew / Asian friend / small woman to hold the globe holder in place while you try to align the screw holes back in place.
6. Apply liberal quantities of naughty words at the people who designed the car.
7. Tighten screws when the holes are finally aligned.

I've still yet to find suitable globes for the front map reading / courtesy lights but they are next on the list. Having pulled one out it looks like a standard festoon globe without the metal ends.

Cheers
Russ
Hi Russ,
Thanks for all the info. Where is the best place to buy the high beams and was it you that had the white fog lights at the m&g 2 ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I got all my globes from Auto Illumination and found them to be very helpful.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update:

The rigid loop festoons do NOT fit the vanity mirrors as they are indeed an overvoltage fuse. I suspect that the only way to get them brighter is to use a fuse with a higher ampere rating which I will try this weekend.

I've installed the rigid loops in the glovebox and these are a big improvement too.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK. With a box of sundry fuses in my hand here is what I found.

I started with a range of 18V marine fuses in everything from 0.1A to 5A and working on my half remembered electrical theory figured that something around 0.5A would be sufficient.

Two burnt fingers later (I couldn't be bothered waiting) the solution appears to be a 24V 0.8 or 1.0A fuse - the 18V 0.5A did work fine but it got significantly hotter than I think would be advisable for the sake of the plastic cover - according to my non contact thermometer about 80 deg C.

I will do some more testing once I have found some other rated 24V fuses.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've searched for this thread probably 7-8 times in the last 6 months since it dropped off the page. Russ this lighting reference table you did is bloody awesome.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Perhaps we could have this thread stuck?

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've just received another two sets of the #194 bulbs from stealth, as well as another set of the indicator bulbs.I'm going to put the 194's into the side markers and also the parker lights, giving the car a more consistent look - at the moment i have the xenon's then a cool blue hella in parkers and another different bulb in the fogs which looks good next to the xenon but the parkers are out of whack in my opinion. So now i have the parkers, side markers and both front and rear indicators all an identical colour, and the xenon and fogs pretty similar as a contrast. I reckon it'll look better than now but will let yas know.:)

·
Registered
750 Posts
The burnt amber parkers look grouse. Exactly the same colour as my stealth indicators, and my stealth side markers. My car looks pretty mean at night now.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Hey Russ, the tables and pics do not seem to be displaying in your first post, at least for me. Do you still have them on your source?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
They are still on the source but we have installed anti leaching software that is stopping them from being viewed outside that domain.

I shall move them into a directory where they can be linked from here.

Sorry - didn't think of this impact!

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Images updated and relinked.
I will now go and do all the rest.

Cheers
Russ

21 - 40 of 51 Posts